Princess California Coastal?

andovertravelers

Our extended family (grandparents, parents, six kids ages 7-13) are thinking of doing a California Coastal cruise on the Princess Sapphire next April. Has anyone done this trip with kids? I'm a little nervous that our kids might be the only kids on the ship! Thanks to anyone who can offer some thoughts!

Any cruise that leaves out of California is going to have some local families on board - there are kids in year-round schools, home-schools, private school students who are allowed to miss school for travel, etc. April is a big time for Spring Break travel as well.

Best,

Mia

Have the kids (and adults) read Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. This used to be required reading for all 4th graders studying California history.

It's the story of the Channel Islands. At the Santa Barbara Mission is her grave.

Zia is the sequel.

The Channel Islands are located off the coast of California. The most famous one is Catalina.

Have the kids (and adults) read Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. This used to be required reading for all 4th graders studying California history.

It's the story of the Channel Islands. At the Santa Barbara Mission is her grave.

Zia is the sequel.

The Channel Islands are located off the coast of California. The most famous one is Catalina.

Thanks for the replies! I don't think all of the kids have read Island of the Blue Dolphins but I will look into that! They have read the Alcatraz series (Al Capone Does My Shirts) so I know they would love to see Alcatraz. I like the idea of tying the trip in to things they've learned, so thanks for the suggestion!

You didn't say when in April. If it's early or mid April, then there will be more kids because it's the Spring Break time. In any case, I don't think your kids will be the only ones.

Thanks - we would be going during Massachusetts school vacation week which is April 13. I would think that we wouldn't be the only family, but every travel agent we talk to has said it's an older person cruise and we should do something else (Royal Caribbean seems the option that keeps coming up) instead.

Archived