Wrinkled formal night dress

mrshingles

Pack it in a dry cleaner bag in a suitcase that is not overly stuffed full. Some recommend rolling things. I try to buy fabrics that won't wrinkle too much and always travel with Downey wrinkle releaser too. Worst case if I find it is wrinkled when I unpack I head to the launderette and iron it day one before lines have a chance to develop!

Lay it across the top of the suitcase. Then I hang it up as soon as we get our luggage and use Downy wrinkle release on it if necessary. Usually mine don't wrinkle much if I just gently fold it in half and put it on the top in the suitcase. Same thing with Dh's jacket.

As others have said, fold it once and pack it in the suitcase at the last possible moment. As soon as you receive your luggage in your cabin, take it out immediately and hang it up. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Wear one 2 sizes too small ?

Ok I don't know much about dresses......... For my dress shirts I hang them in the bathroom with the shower running on full hot. Lots of steam and all wrinkles are gone. Works every time.

depending on your fabric, wrinkle release can ruin your dress. as well as shout wipes or other stain removers. test in an inconspicuous spot first.

If you choose to iron, if it's a delicate fabric, consider bringing a towel to place between the iron and the material. Check the surface of the iron for leftover starch, marks/stains etc. You don't want that coming off on your formal dress. you can also consider sending it out to have it pressed/steamed. If that's not an option, consider the following...

first, pack it very last minute and hang it up immediately.

You can hang it in the bathroom while you shower and allow the shower to help "steam it".

I usually try to stick with synthetics. They resist wrinkles and stains (and fading and stretching too) better...natural fibers like silk and cotton wrinkle easier. Your synthetics ie polyester, lycra etc. materials will be easier to travel with.

Years of working in retail.....not anymore...but i did.

I second the shower steam trick. I hang all of our wrinkled items on hangars, and hang in the bathroom; behind the door, etc. Put shower on high/hot, close the shower curtain and close the door. 10 minutes or so later, viola, wrinkle free clothes. :)

I second the shower steam trick. I hang all of our wrinkled items on hangars, and hang in the bathroom; behind the door, etc. Put shower on high/hot, close the shower curtain and close the door. 10 minutes or so later, viola, wrinkle free clothes. :)

Thanks for the shower tips everyone. Never thought about the boiling hot water/steam coming from the shower on a cruise ship. Makes sense.

Wear one 2 sizes too small ?

Ok I don't know much about dresses......... For my dress shirts I hang them in the bathroom with the shower running on full hot. Lots of steam and all wrinkles are gone. Works every time.

Good tip.......both of them! ;)

Iron it?

What's an iron?:eek: I bring dresses that don't wrinkle (or hardly). I have 1 glitzy dress I can throw in a bag! If there's a few light wrinkles, so what? It's not like you are going to a local political gala where everyone judges and remembers you. Besides, wrinkles don't show when you get your picture done, so who knows?

If you really don't want to bother with the "do it yourself" fixes which usually work then unpack and give it to your room Steward and let him know you need it pressed/steamed and back to you by formal night which could be the next day or a few days after your cruise begins depending on your itinerary.

I once brought a very formal long red satin ball gown onboard. Flew in from Baltimore to Miami night before so the dress was packed for a good two days. I unpacked and gave it to my Steward and the next afternoon it was waiting, beautifully pressed in my stateroom.

Just another option you may want to consider.

Have a blast on your cruise.:)

Chico makes a line called "Travelers" that will not wrinkle under any circumstance. Also called "Slinky Brand" by another manufacturer. It is super lightweight, takes up very little room in a suitcase. For casual dinners you can pair black Travelers dress slacks or skirt with numerous tops and for Elegant Night I wear a black Travelers long sheath dress with scarf, jewelry, heels. :)

Archived