Travel Protection and Prepaid Gratuity

everyone uses the "can you afford to be mediva-ed" off the ship as a reason to get trip insurance. We are currently planning on cruising without insurance and I don't see a need for it. What I'd like to know is how often that really happens. The way I'm looking at it is that if you are in a life threatening emergency, you will prob die before a medi-vac could get to you, and if it's not a life threatening emergency, you probably could just take a regular flight back to the US. The lowest price I could find for travel insurance for our $3,000 trip was $120-$150....I find $150 very very excessive for a week's worth of insurance. If you look at health, auto, or home insurance, it doesn't come anywhere closer, and you are much more likely to use any of those. I'm not worried about missing the trip, my boss is good and won't cancel my vacation time (plus I"m lucky enough to be union, so I'd have some union protection in that instance), I checked and my health insurance works outside the country the same way it works inside the country... so the only reason I could forsee using it would be if we had to return to the US for medical care. And I just don't see the likelihood of needing and emergency transport as opposed to a regular plane flight. I get that if you live in Canada or your insurance doesn't work outside the US, it would be a necessary product, but I really think it is more of a case by case basis than people are making it out to be.

I don't think that anyone is saying you have to do it, what we're saying is can you afford (x amount of money) should something catastrophic happen. Yes, it's highly unlikely (but it does happen, far more often than many people think). Also, yes, your insurance may cover you outside of the U.S., BUT, the doctor/hospital in whatever country you are in may (and probably will) require payment in advance and you would get reimbursed when you return home. I, for one, could not afford hundreds or thousands of dollars out of pocket, which is why I get travel insurance. My comfort level is pretty darn low. Yours is obviously very high. What we're saying is you have to ask yourself these questions, then decide for yourself what you're comfortable with.

Originally Posted by sanger727

everyone uses the "can you afford to be mediva-ed" off the ship as a reason to get trip insurance. We are currently planning on cruising without insurance and I don't see a need for it. What I'd like to know is how often that really happens. The way I'm looking at it is that if you are in a life threatening emergency, you will prob die before a medi-vac could get to you, and if it's not a life threatening emergency, you probably could just take a regular flight back to the US. The lowest price I could find for travel insurance for our $3,000 trip was $120-$150....I find $150 very very excessive for a week's worth of insurance. If you look at health, auto, or home insurance, it doesn't come anywhere closer, and you are much more likely to use any of those. I'm not worried about missing the trip, my boss is good and won't cancel my vacation time (plus I"m lucky enough to be union, so I'd have some union protection in that instance), I checked and my health insurance works outside the country the same way it works inside the country... so the only reason I could forsee using it would be if we had to return to the US for medical care. And I just don't see the likelihood of needing and emergency transport as opposed to a regular plane flight. I get that if you live in Canada or your insurance doesn't work outside the US, it would be a necessary product, but I really think it is more of a case by case basis than people are making it out to be.

It's all a risk trade-off and certainly your choice. The odds of a MedEvac ARE pretty low and it might end-up being Coast guard and not commercial. If you're OK with the low chance of MedEvac situation, have a credit card with adequate ceiling for a hospital admission guarantee (or Health Insurance that will do same), and are OK with the chance of having to cancel for a family medical issue, then you're probably OK.

Having said that, the cost of a 3rd party basic Travel Insurance Policy for a 5-7 day cruise is pretty inexpensive (more expensive as age increases to 50's and 60's) and I'd expect one of the "lite" policies to cost maybe $75pp.

We generally don't buy Trip Insurance anymore as our BCBS Out-of-Country coverage is extensive and we have adequate basic Cancellation and Baggage coverage with our World Mastercard. You might want to check your Credit Card and might find you also have some basic cancellation/baggage coverage!

ken

The reason for any insurance is reimbursement for losses you can't afford on your own. Travel insurance isn't just for medivac or medical issues when travelling. Other things can happen at any time to anyone. My mother fell while packing 48 hrs. before one cruise and wound up in the hospital. I had a medical issue weeks before a cruise and had to cancel on the advice of my MD. A family member can die, you can be in an accident, you have no control over things that can happen. With no insurance, you play the odds. If you don't take insurance and nothing happens, you'll say "See, I didn't need insurance." But if the unforeseen happens, you'll wish you had it.

Archived