Fisheries Museum - Lunenburg

We are renting a car in Halifax and plan on going to Lunenburg. The Fisheries Museum looks interesting. If anyone has been, is it worth visiting? If so, how much time do we need to allow? Also, any recommendations of what to see and do in Lunenburg? I'm hoping to have sometime to see Halifax and the Maritime Museum as well.

I find the Fisheries Museum very interesting. You can see the fish and learn about fishing history and Prohibition history. The best part is the old fishing ship that you can tour to see what life was like at sea.

We are renting a car in Halifax and plan on going to Lunenburg. The Fisheries Museum looks interesting. If anyone has been, is it worth visiting? If so, how much time do we need to allow? Also, any recommendations of what to see and do in Lunenburg? I'm hoping to have sometime to see Halifax and the Maritime Museum as well.

The all Famous Bluenose is there in drydock for refit and you can go and view. There also is a New Vodka Distillary called Ironworks which I found fascinating and loved all made with natural Nova Scotia product.

http://www.ironworksdistillery.com/products

St John's Anglican Church has quite a history recently rebuilt after a devastating fire lots of info here for you

http://www.explorelunenburg.ca/st-johns-anglican-church.html

We love the area so have been back quite a few times, hope this helps and you have a great visit.

We have visited many maritime museums in our travels. The museum in Lunenberg is one of our favorites. There is also a ship building museum that is very interesting. Lunenberg is small, picturesque and very walkable. It's a great 1/2 day and you should definitely choose one of the cafes for lunch. I would not hurry off to Peggy's Cove. When we visited Peggy's Cove the parking lot was so packed with tour busses that there was no place to park. The rock pathways were crowded with too many tourists. It was impossible to take photos or enjoy the experience. The Nova Scotia coastline has many beautiful coves and special places that are not spoiled by too many tourists.

We have also visited it and quite enjoyed it. The time on the fishing vessel is certainly the highlight. Casting back in my memory, I would think you would want an hour to an hour and a half....but I am really poky in a museum.

Archived