Question on Seasick pills

foilman2002

I have a friend going on the Dawn on Sunday out of NYC. Does NCL provide any sort of seasickness pills like Carnival does? And if they do, what are they, and where do you get them?

Thank you

I would suggest they bring their own. Can`t see where this is a mandatory perk of the cruiselines. If it gets rough the cabin steward will get them for you or go to the front desk.

They are not too expensive, the generics are cheap. The drug is Meclazine(sp?)

Also, once you get sick it doesn't work as well as if you take them before you get sick. I personally get the Dramamine Less Drowsy, 24 hours pills. I take one each night and have never had a side effect and also they work wonderfully.

I recommend the patch that goes behind your ear. My dr prescribed it for us for our cruise and aside from the last day sea where we were all seasick due to a storm it worked fine. NCL provided motion sickness meds, saltines, ginger ale, sprite, and apples for free at the reception desk and 1/2 price on the compazine shots (65.00). So depending on how sick your friend gets I'd go for the patch and Dramamine.

Have fun

Linda

Linda,

My dr also gave me patches. I can get sick just riding in the back seat of the car. I have heard people say that sometimes people get sick from the medicine in the patch???? I take it this did not happen to you? I have also bought Darmamine non-drowsy and some of the Bonine pills. This is my 1st cruise, and I am VERY worried about the motion sickness side of it. Hopefully all will go well!

Kathy

Linda,

My dr also gave me patches. I can get sick just riding in the back seat of the car. I have heard people say that sometimes people get sick from the medicine in the patch???? I take it this did not happen to you? I have also bought Darmamine non-drowsy and some of the Bonine pills. This is my 1st cruise, and I am VERY worried about the motion sickness side of it. Hopefully all will go well!

Kathy

We sailed last week. We saw many, many people wearing the patches (behind the ear) on the ship. In fact, I couldn't believe how many.

Last year I brought every med/bracelet on the market with us. We sailed through a bad storm but used none of what I brought.

This year, I didn't bring anything. I was fine through the currents/winds but DH was sick and green around the edges.

I can say that if you don't hit any weather problems, you really don't even know that you are on the ocean. I would actually forget unless I went on the balcony or walked by a window.

If the seas get rough, the Stardust theatre is a good spot as it is low and no windows. Or, lay down, DH felt much better laying in bed.

Believe me, no one was more afraid to cruise than I was. We went through a storm last year and the currents/winds (for 36 hours) last week and I can't wait to cruise again in September.

The staff all says to have green apples.

Relax and enjoy every moment. You will have a great time.

Any questions, I'll try to answer.

NCL Sun provided seasick pills. They were available at the reception desk if you asked for them. If you have children, bring children's seasick pills since the ones NCL provides are not suitable for anyone under 12.

Also, once you get sick it doesn't work as well as if you take them before you get sick. I personally get the Dramamine Less Drowsy, 24 hours pills. I take one each night and have never had a side effect and also they work wonderfully.

Gravol Ginger (it's ginger extract) works well too. I've always found that Gravol (Dramamine) makes me *really* drowsy - even tho it says non-drowsy.

I bought a bottle of the Ginger pills too. I would rather have the stuff and not need it than just the opposite. I have 3 kids and don't know how sailing will affect them yet.

Four years ago, we were in South Padre and DH and I took a 5 hour dinner/gambling cruise into the Gulf. I was clueless to the "motionsickness" thing. Never crossed my mind. I had never been on anything but a bass boat before. I was fine through dinner, but the minute we went below deck that was it for me...............I spent the last 4 hours on the back of the boat with about 20 other passengers. Poor DH sat back there with me. He did manage to get a few beers in. He would walk me to the bathroom and then go get one while he was waiting for me to come out.........poor guy!!! Its not a pleasant memory, and one that surfaces when I think about being on a ship for a week!!!!! He assures me all the time that the boat we were on doesn't even come close to comparing to a cruise ship.

I guess we will know how well I do in a matter of days!!!

I have used the patch (not for a cruise) once, I had it on for a plane ride, very bumpy. Forgot about it, left it on all night. I probably had it on for 24 hours. I think they say on the box that you can leave it on up to 3 days. Anyway, for the next 5 days I had hearing trouble and balance issues. These were listed as possible side effects on the box. Not everyone may have these reactions, but I don't think I'm going to use them again.

As for ginger, The Ginger People have a great line of products that include Gin-Gins, a strong ginger candy for tummy issues. I had a very upset stomach just this week and after having two of these it went almost totally away. They also just came out with a drink they recommend for tummy problems.

JodyM

I used the patch last year and did not get sick. I tried dramamine before for an amusement park and had to have them stop the tilt-o-whirl so I could get off, so I wanted something stronger for the cruise. Worse part was after you get home and are no longer wearing the patch you can feel like you are on a boat for a day.

There is something on the market to help with nausea. It is not those wrist bands with the pressure point - it looks like a watch and sends some type of electrical impulse that is suppose to stop nausea, and has 5 setting so you only use as high as you need. Supposedly works for Chemo patients. I have never tried it so I have no idea if it really does work or not, maybe others have tried it.

I used to use the patch - used it for about 9 cruises and never had a problem last year when we took our Alaska cruise I put on my patch and by day 3 I could not read- side effect is blurriness- my mom had to read the menu for me- I could see everything else fine just could not read print :) It never happened before- Any way now tkae the pills and never had a problem with being sleepy - I do still get the patches from my doctor in case the pills do not work I would rather feel good and not read than the other :) :)

I wasn`t going to get involved, but here goes. I am not a Dr. but I have booked many cruises and been on many.........THE PATCH HAS TOO MANY SIDE EFFECTS.........I have seen people get very sick and impairement of vision that lasted 2 yrs.:eek: The drug is Scopolomine. They took it off the market for about 4 yrs. because of the problems, then brought it back in a weaker dose.

I wouldn`t touch it with a 10 foot oar. I am sure many people are fine with it, but the people that I see on the lounge chairs with their mouths hanging open (we have all seen those:D ) usually have the patch on. It is medicine that you are on all the time, not a good thing IMHO.

Plus, I would not drink with it on, AND THAT DOES IT FOR ME;)

My wife tried the patch in 1986. I guess that was when the dosage was higher. She pulled it off after a couple of hours. She said it made her psychotic. This is no exageration. She started hallucinating. She saw people that weren't there.

My wife tried the patch in 1986. I guess that was when the dosage was higher. She pulled it off after a couple of hours. She said it made her psychotic. This is no exageration. She started hallucinating. She saw people that weren't there.

That was one of the side affects, plus many others, scary:eek:

Seahorse

I agree, I would not even think of touching it. I have heard of people becoming psychotic on it as well. In fact I saw a man while on the majesty two years ago become psychotic. I noticed the patch and his wife was very upset. I helped her get him to the docs.

Yes some people swear by it. Yes it helps some. But with what I have seen and heard, i would not want to try it. Bonine works good for me and I can drink.:D

Marie

Seahorse

I agree, I would not even think of touching it. I have heard of people becoming psychotic on it as well. In fact I saw a man while on the majesty two years ago become psychotic. I noticed the patch and his wife was very upset. I helped her get him to the docs.

Yes some people swear by it. Yes it helps some. But with what I have seen and heard, i would not want to try it. Bonine works good for me and I can drink.:D

Marie

I would suggest taking nothing but bring something just in case! You can always return it. I'm not a fan of meds.

If you are warned that it may get rough...just watch what you eat/drink. Crackers and tea worked well for me....a sacrifice but I didn't get sick.

Posted by clm101798:

There is something on the market to help with nausea. It is not those wrist bands with the pressure point - it looks like a watch and sends some type of electrical impulse that is suppose to stop nausea, and has 5 setting so you only use as high as you need. Supposedly works for Chemo patients. I have never tried it so I have no idea if it really does work or not, maybe others have tried it.

This is called the Relief Band. This has worked very well for my husband and also a friend. (I've not had a motion problem so far.) It's available through travel cataloges, drug stores or Drugstore.com, priced in the $80 - $100 range. I've also seen in for sale on the ship. I would highly recommend this product.

I was seasick the first night of my first cruise. The next day I stocked up on seasickness pills from reception, took one every night before bed and I was fine. I also got them the first day on my next cruise and did the same.

I am not sure exactly what they are, but they are free at the reception desk and work wonderfully, and I am assuming they use the same pills on all NCL cruises.

I've taken ginger root pills (buy them at any health store). I start taking them a couple days before the cruise and then during the cruise. Never had a problem with sickness. My first cruise I was sick, although the weather could of been much nicer. I took the pills the ship has...made me drowsy. I didn't even want to go to dinner or anything. Didn't enjoy myself. Before I took my next cruise, someone had told me about the ginger root pills. It did the trick for me. I'm going on my 7th cruise this December!

We used generic bonine/less-drowsy dramamine. It's called meclizine HCl. We bought a bottle from our pharmacy...100 pills for $7. A lot cheaper than the 8 pills for $4 (average cost of bonine).

but am very motion sensitive. I wore the low dose patch. I waited (which I know you aren't supposed to do) until I started to feel queasy, when we hit some rough water. I tried the bonine first, but still didn't feel good. So I tried the patch. It worked very well for me, no side effects, and for once, when our cruise was over and I went to bed, I didn't feel (see?) the motion of the ship for days after I was on land.

ps I overlapped bonine and the patch, and I would suggest you avoid that. My throat and mouth were unbelievably dry, until the bonine wore off.

Archived