Nair for legs? any thoughts?

I regularly shave my legs, by habit. but I can still see the dark hair follicles beneath the surface, and it drives me bananas. I've been seeing a lot of commericals for "Nair" and the like...what do you guys think? does anyone use "Nair"/hair removal cream for legs, please tell me about your experience/s with it. thanks!

I use Nair and think it's a good product. I use one that is in a green bottle- I think it contains aloe. I have very sensitive skin and I've never had a problem with burning or rashes from it. I find that I remain hair free anywhere from 5-8 days after using it.

I have my eyebrows and lip waxed but have never had any other waxing. I'm too chicken but I'm also fortunate that my hair is very sparse and light.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was horrified at my legs the week before I was due with her. I thought about Nair and other hair-removal products, but settled for a good waxing. Let me tell you something: I haven't touched a razor since!!! I highly recommend it. I, too, used to be able to see the black hair folicles. Not anymore! And, it really isn't painful. The lady I go to is so good, I almost fall asleep by the time she's finished. And, it's good for 2-3 weeks. If you decide to go that route, make sure the person doing the waxing has some sort of aloe lotion to put on afterwards (or bring your own). It will prevent some of the redness typically associated with waxing.

Have fun!!! :)

I've used Nair a few times in the past and the results were terrible each time. It never got rid of all the hair. :eek: Plus I had stubble the next day. The bottle says to leave it on for about 4 minutes (I think...it's been awhile), but it just doesn't get rid of my hair. Maybe 20 minutes would work?? Who knows. Perhaps it works better on thin hair. Professional waxing is the surefire way to go. IMHO

I've used Nair a few times in the past and the results were terrible each time. It never got rid of all the hair. :eek: Plus I had stubble the next day. The bottle says to leave it on for about 4 minutes (I think...it's been awhile), but it just doesn't get rid of my hair. Maybe 20 minutes would work?? Who knows. Perhaps it works better on thin hair. Professional waxing is the surefire way to go. IMHO

I have the same problem... my leg hair must be too coarse! I HAVE tried the "VEET" products, and had a bit better luck, although my results never last more than 2 days. (My hair grows very quickly... :( )

I normally wax, as well... and often do myself. It isn't painful -- although the first time, it may be uncomfortable... but it DOES last at least 2-3 weeks on me, and the hair follicles are less noticeable after a few times.

I'm intrigued that some say that waxing can last up to 2 weeks! That sounds like a great option for vacation. Do you also have the same longevity with an eyebrow waxing? I get mine done and within 2 to 3 days, I am back to plucking. Maybe I just have fast growing eyebrows and slow growing body hair?

Soxfan, The reason is that hair has different growth cycles, some hairs are dormant when the others are in a growth cycle. I used to wax every 2 weeks, but now wait a month, for hairs to "catch up" and actually have better results this way.

I tried leg waxing, once. I guess it's not for everyone, because I felt like she was stripping my skin off and it throbbed for days. I was fairly disappointed, as I had waited something like 6 weeks for my leg hair to grow out long enough to be waxed. She said my skin was dry and the hair wasn't long enough yet. Go figure, I moisturize every day, exfoliate every week, and I have to shave every other day.

Bottom line, patch test before using this type of product. I wish I had done a "strip test" of leg waxing before I commited to the whole thing. What works well for one doesn't always work for everyone.

I have read several people talk about getting their legs and other parts waxed, but my question is where?? I would like to get this done before my cruise so I don't have to worr about it during the ruise.. We will leave on a Monday so I was thinking of having it done on a Thursday before we leave..

Thanks,

Paula

Paula, There are probably day spas in your area that do waxing. Ask friends or co-workers for recommendations. It's not something you want to bargain shop for, although high prices do not guarantee the best work. It's kind of like finding someone to cut your hair or do your nails, it depends on idividual skill.

I have a technician for my eyebrows that I love, she knows exactly what shape is best for my face and does not overwax, sometimes technicians will make your eyebrows too thin. I'll only have another person do them if I'm desparate. I have my brows tinted and waxed every 4 weeks, total cost is $25, before gratuity.

Archived