Are cruise ship beds comfortable?

azguy

We just sailed on the Island Princess and the bed was rock-hard. We requested and received an egg crate mattress, which improved the situation, and also requested and a day later received feather pillows to improve the hard foam pillow situation.

But even with these additions, worst sleep I've ever gotten on a cruise. The worst was really the cheapo polyester bedspread sliding off the bed all night, I'd get cold, get out of bed, search for it in the dark, pull it back on, it'd slide off again.

As we were packing to disembark, I discovered another blanket and bedspread in a plastic bag under the bed. Wish I'd known about it before -usually extra blankets are above the closet.

Thanks for the response. My wife and I will be on the Island Princess so hopefully we'll be more comfortable. We'll probably definitely ask for the egg crate and feather pillows.

We leave for Alaska a week from this Friday to do 8 days of touring before our 7 days southbound cruise. Can't wait.

We just returned from the Coral and the bed was very comfortable. I requested an eggcrate topper when we arrived and it was on in time for bed that night. The pillows are not feather but they were not bad. They were thin enough that they didn't bother my neck and I am pretty sensitive about such things. You can request feather pillows if you like. No problems with the spread sliding off but unless you pull it up the folded part is heavy on your feet. If I hadn't been so excited about the events of the next day and still on Eastern time, I probably would have slept very well. As it was, I fell asleep in the shows at night (who can sleep with all that noise?) and woke with the sun in the morning (about 4 AM!).

Archived