Dive operators, Aruba

I was in Aruba on a Celebrity cruise in January 2011 and dove with Romeo at Native Divers. They do have a website but not sure if I'm allowed to post that. I met a dive buddy on these boards named John for this cruise. He did his OW certification with Romeo years ago and has been using him ever since. Romeo picked us up outside the dock area and returned us after the dives. The boat and equipment were in great condition, the diving was excellent and it was a small group - I think there were six of us total. I enjoyed it very much.

I dove with Dive Aruba. It was okay. Clive picked us up and dropped us off, but it wasn't the best fit for us because of the type of diving we like to do.

Why was it just okay? What is your preferred diving? Should we skip diving in Aruba -- is it not that nice?

My buddy is my boyfriend, and he's a master instructor. Our preference is to do deep, multilevel technical dives, which we couldn't do there. We often go below 130 feet. Before I booked with Clive, I asked him if we could dive on our own and he said sure, as long we met the one-hour limit per dive, which was fine for us. Then, when we were on the boat, he asked if another diver could go with us. Although we didn't want him, we didn't say no, but he ended up going with the other group, fortunately. I'm a photographer and don't like to be around a lot of other divers because it makes it much harder to get a good shot.

The diving was nice, but just nice. I would say try another operator and you'll do better.

We booked with the ship CCL Miracle and they used Red Sails. We dove two local wrecks the Antilla being one of them. The crew was a captain no mate and one dive master for 10 divers from hotels & cruise ships. Our dive was not scheduled to be a drift dive however strong currents combined with murky water quickly broke the group up and it was everyone on your own. Several divers were found by other boats. The captain once moored never moved until time to go. He was fine with other boats returning his divers. I kept up with the two other divers from my ship. The dive master found a couple of other divers. One of the worst dive operations I have ever seen. Avoid Red Sails if in Aruba.

We booked with the ship CCL Miracle and they used Red Sails. We dove two local wrecks the Antilla being one of them. The crew was a captain no mate and one dive master for 10 divers from hotels & cruise ships. Our dive was not scheduled to be a drift dive however strong currents combined with murky water quickly broke the group up and it was everyone on your own. Several divers were found by other boats. The captain once moored never moved until time to go. He was fine with other boats returning his divers. I kept up with the two other divers from my ship. The dive master found a couple of other divers. One of the worst dive operations I have ever seen. Avoid Red Sails if in Aruba.

I could not agree more. They are awful.

We booked through RCI in Aruba and they used Red Sail. Same thing happened on our dives (strong currents & murky waters). The group got separated and hard as I tried to stay with my buddy I ended up by myself. Made my way back to Red Sail's boat eventually and was shocked by the divemasters attitude. I was so shook up that I sat out the 2nd dive and was glad I did as they absolutely lost another diver on that 2nd dive. He too eventually found his way back. I will NEVER book with them again.

I could not agree more. They are awful.

We booked through RCI in Aruba and they used Red Sail. Same thing happened on our dives (strong currents & murky waters). The group got separated and hard as I tried to stay with my buddy I ended up by myself. Made my way back to Red Sail's boat eventually and was shocked by the divemasters attitude. I was so shook up that I sat out the 2nd dive and was glad I did as they absolutely lost another diver on that 2nd dive. He too eventually found his way back. I will NEVER book with them again.

I hope you guys reported this crap to RCI. That's ridiculous that they should be so uncaring/unsafe. I'm sure you paid big bucks thru the cruise too!

Archived