New to RC

Hi. I have never been on RC but want to book a cruise for next year. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to book? Do they have sales? If you book and the price drops, can you get the lower price?

Hi. I have never been on RC but want to book a cruise for next year. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to book? Do they have sales? If you book and the price drops, can you get the lower price?

We usually book directly with RCI, over the phone, after researching what we want on their website and here on CC. There are travel agents that give incentives (such as prepaid gratuities or onboard credit) for booking with them, but we are not allowed to name them here. If you go with a TA rather than RCI directly, you will have to go through the TA anytime you want to make a change with your reservation, such as get credit for a price drop (make sure the TA does not charge a fee for making changes).

If the price drops, you can get the lower price up until the final payment due date. Then, if the price drops, you can only upgrade to a higher category of cabin if you want to, assuming that price has come down below the price you paid, or comes down low enough that it is worth paying to upgrade. You have to keep track of prices yourself, and you have to call to request the change (or call your TA and have them call, if you used one).

The best time to book is now

There are "sales" just about every week. But, usually they are for cruises that are relatively soon to boost the bookings for ships that are not full. Just register on the RCL web site to get the e-mails for sales and other info.

Usually, you will get a lower price and maximum cabin selection booking a cruise a year or more out. As the months go by, the prices tend to go up a bit till it is close to the sail date. Then the sales and discounts are announced to fill any cabins not yet booked. The drawback with waiting is that the cruise you want may be fully booked already or there will be limited cabin and dining selections left.

After you book a cabin and the price drops, just call up RCL and ask that you get the lower price. You can do this up till the time you are required to make the final payment (75 days before the cruise). After that time, you can upgrade if the price drops on a higher class cabin and just pay the difference.

There are sometimes discounts available for 'over 55', vets with a minimum of 2 years honorable service, firefighters, police, and residents of some states. You have to make a 'dummy' reservation to see the current prices and if there are any discounts available,

Also, RCCL runs a WOW sale twice a year, sometimes three. You get reduced deposit and $100 OBC. I booked in June and it is good for people who are relatively new to Royal, like me. After you take your first cruise with them join the Crown and Anchor program, they have a pretty good loyalty perks.

Archived