Being charged twice for onboard costs

steveycams

Another point there are many "protections" with credit cards, and not debit cards. Try disputing a purchase with a debit card. :( Or having the advantage of additional insurance with a car rental. You have nothing with a debit card.

My bank provides protection on our visa debit cards. Whenever we contest something, they conditionally refund the money. Once their investigation is finished, we receive a letter stating the refund is permanent.

My bank provides protection on our visa debit cards. Whenever we contest something, they conditionally refund the money. Once their investigation is finished, we receive a letter stating the refund is permanent.

Exactly!! The only time I had an issue with a debit card, my bank immediately released the funds in question with a provisional release pending an investigation. After a week or so I got an unlimited release of funds.

The OP and his/her bank have an issue due to the bank policy and OP's not reading the documented information provided suggesting not using debit cards on a cruise. After the OP's and banks mistakes, they now want NCL to fix it and take issue because it's not going fast enough.

I would think that if you don't have enough funds in your debit account, you use a credit card or cash to finish the trip. I can't imagine anyone would go on an international trip with nothing except a debit card with limited funds in it?

Again, not NCL's issue.:D

I have spoken to my bank over 7 times and each time they said they will release the funds within 10min when NCL FAX over the release holds

due to legal reasons they cannot without it.

I even got NCL and my Commonwealth Bank on a 3 way telephone connection and it was explained to NCL the process and all they have to do it fax this through

NCL have lied to me and my wife over 5 days and the bank itself spoke directly with there account team and still they lied when saying they will fax it within 30min after the 3 way conversation

absolute disgrace from NCL behalf and it is them who have held our funds well over the 78 hour hold which is stated on there phone message.

my Bank has done everything it can to help.

NCL is at fault and they have been very unprofessional:mad:

I am SO sorry you are having to go through this. We have all had frustrating circumstances at one time or another. I feel your pain.

I can tell you that if a large computerized business is using an autofax program that is computerized, faxes may take a long time to go through and sometimes can get caught up in a loop...

BTW I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage. You both will survive this, it just is bad at the moment.

Your travel should have have explained why using a debit card is a bad idea and what to expect on your first

cruise. An agent experienced in cruises could have explained all this to you.

Sorry it happened but every cruiseline works the same way.

I originally had my credit card with them but the night before check-out we decided to pay for on board credit using our funds available so we knew how much we had left on our trip

i specifically told them can we use this card to pay and will there be any extra charges and they never said there was.

this is my first ever cruise and why on earth would they need to take out a extra $1200 when i fully paid for every purchase we made.

we wanted to pay by cash but on our way home for some reason the ships atm was out of service and was told on a number of occasions that it will be fixed and was not.

I actually did call my Bank back in Australia and they told me that NCL have to fax over a release statement, signed to the bank for them to re-instate our funds

I know hotels put hold on funds but it seems very strange for such a large amount to be taken out

overall i was happy with our cruise with NCL but this mishap should have been handled better on there behalf by warning us of this which they did not.

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the advise

regards

steve/tash

Your travel should have have explained why using a debit card is a bad idea and what to expect on your first

cruise. An agent experienced in cruises could have explained all this to you.

Sorry it happened but every cruiseline works the same way.

Actually, a visit to this board will find many stories about problems with debit cards. There are those with little to no problem, mostly from people with larger balances so it does not matter.

That is true, but many don't post until it is too late. A good travel agent could have warned him of the pros and cons. This was OP's first post so not sure why he knew to come to complain but not to read info beforehand. His TA could have saved him from all this by explaining what happens when you use a debit card traveling.

This would happen at a hotel, gas station, and cruise using a debit card. You know his hotel in Vegas swiped the debit card at check in as well.

And he totally blamed NCL for something that was not their problem.

Actually, a visit to this board will find many stories about problems with debit cards. There are those with little to no problem, mostly from people with larger balances so it does not matter.

we have a comedian in the house.

probably the crap dj on the Pride of America!

mate when a cruise line lies to you and actually lies to your bank over a 3 way conversation, ops **** it's my fault for using a debit card

when you listen to NCL recorded message before having a chat with those well educated staff down at NCL it clearly says refunds will be processed in 3 business days.

not one week.

sorry i don't have time to spend all day on cruise forums like yourself

but for this instance i need to make my point heard about the woeful customer service that NCL has provided

OPPS sorry it's not NCL fault.

it's my fault for not coming on this forum earlier and reading all the problems with debit cards etc etc

I just got back from Vegas and it took only 1 day for my card to be cleared from our hotel, now that's great service.

its well into the second week and yet still no clearance. My bank told me to wait for the 2 weeks to pass because clearly NCL don't know how to use a fax machine, they have only been taught to mix pina coladas:D

I have spoken to my bank again, and again NCL took out another $1227

total amount oweing back to us is $2472

to me that is a disgrace when we only spent $1205 on the ship.

why on earth would they feel the need to hold that amount of money.

yes it is NCL fault because when i advised them they told me no.

also the food after day 3 started to taste the same everywhere so we decided to start eating off the ship;)

This is quite a normal reaction to an injustice by a tour operator. One thing goes wrong and then all of a sudden other things were also wrong............................................:rolleyes:

Hmmmk so OP apparently you were on your 7 day honeymoon cruise July 21 and then you continued your honeymoon in Vegas. So now while ON YOUR HONEYMOON you feel the need take even more time out venting away on your PDA/Laptop/Internet cafe puter on I bet multiple internet forums. (Your first post was on July 29 at 9:15 pm which I'm pretty sure you should have instead been focusing your attention on your spouse :confused:). Ooookay I can understand you're upset (if your story is true). I hope you put away your gadgets and try to minimize the time spent aggravating yourselves over the situation and find ways to enjoy your honeymoon and your new life. Sincerely wish you the best and congrats.

Archived