Jim and Stan...may I impose once more?

Don P

I'm torn between two different series of Canon cameras. I already own the Canon ELPH100 HS and a Nikon D5000SLR.

After seeing your Canon Rebel t3i I investigated the Canon Rebel t41 (i may have the acronyms slightly wrong so please forgive me).

I'm interested in either upgrading the Canon ELPH100 HS or going to the Rebel 4ti. What upgrade in the ELPH SERIES do ypu like and is the Rebel 4ti worth the price?

My interest specifically is taking the beautiful outdoor shots you have posted but also dealing with indoor and evening lighting on the ship.

Once again, thanks for any advice you can provide.

Don P.

I'm torn between two different series of Canon cameras. I already own the Canon ELPH100 HS and a Nikon D5000SLR.

After seeing your Canon Rebel t3i I investigated the Canon Rebel t41 (i may have the acronyms slightly wrong so please forgive me).

I'm interested in either upgrading the Canon ELPH100 HS or going to the Rebel 4ti. What upgrade in the ELPH SERIES do ypu like and is the Rebel 4ti worth the price?

My interest specifically is taking the beautiful outdoor shots you have posted but also dealing with indoor and evening lighting on the ship.

Once again, thanks for any advice you can provide.

Don P.

We're using this Elph, and it has performed above and beyond our wildest expectations:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM15O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343770370&sr=8-9&keywords=canon+elph

The sensor is so acute that you're getting point and click convenience with amazing versatility AND a price tag that makes it a no brainer.

I think the upgrade to the 520 would ewoth it for zoom and macro specifically. Thanks as always for your advice.

Don P.

We're using this Elph, and it has performed above and beyond our wildest expectations:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B006UMM15O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343770370&sr=8-9&keywords=canon+elph

The sensor is so acute that you're getting point and click convenience with amazing versatility AND a price tag that makes it a no brainer.

Don, jumping in here with a possibile suggestion -- before you make a final decision, check out the Panasonic Lumix. I bought one with a 10X optical zoom two years ago for my daughter, and ended up wishing I had kept it for myself and given her my Nikon. So, the following year I bought mine, and it was uo to 12X optical. But, when we joined Cenia and Glen (CAG) on Riviera's maiden voyage, Glen had a new Lumix -- now up to 20X optical! I was blown away and envious. All of them are pocket size, is, sdhc, proprietary battery that lasts a long time.

As for picture quality, all tjhe photos posted by Reposado on the recent "review of food on Riviera" thread were with a Panasonic Lumix.

Thanks Don, I definitely will look at the Panasonic Lumix. One question; how is the low light capability for indoors at night; especially on the ship?

Don, jumping in here with a possibile suggestion -- before you make a final decision, check out the Panasonic Lumix. I bought one with a 10X optical zoom two years ago for my daughter, and ended up wishing I had kept it for myself and given her my Nikon. So, the following year I bought mine, and it was uo to 12X optical. But, when we joined Cenia and Glen (CAG) on Riviera's maiden voyage, Glen had a new Lumix -- now up to 20X optical! I was blown away and envious. All of them are pocket size, is, sdhc, proprietary battery that lasts a long time.

As for picture quality, all tjhe photos posted by Reposado on the recent "review of food on Riviera" thread were with a Panasonic Lumix.

Thanks Don, I definitely will look at the Panasonic Lumix. One question; how is the low light capability for indoors at night; especially on the ship?

Don,

I am the person Don is referring to. Very happy with the camera. I took a lot of food pictures, with no flash on the ship, and they look just as good as the ones posted by Reposado posted on his recent "review of food on Riviera" thread. I would imagine that he took his without flash also. I took all of my food pictures on the "Food" setting of the "Scene" menu. As far as low light pictures, I have been very pleased. You just need to remember to hold the shutter button down half way so that it adjusts to the light condition. Also on the "Scene" setting menu, one of which is for night time pictures, but I have never used that.

Glen

Thanks for posting the link for the Lumix, Don. Think I've found myself an early birthday gift. :)

I have the Canon Elph and my other half the Panasonic Lumix...they are both fantastic and I don't think you'd be going wrong with either. I considered a "fancier" camera but wanted something small and easily carried around while sightseeing but that still takes great photos. We have certainly not been disappointed!.

There are more than a half-dozen cameras in the ELPH series. I have the ELPH 100 HS. Also which model Lumix. It does make a difference!

I have the Canon Elph and my other half the Panasonic Lumix...they are both fantastic and I don't think you'd be going wrong with either. I considered a "fancier" camera but wanted something small and easily carried around while sightseeing but that still takes great photos. We have certainly not been disappointed!.

There are more than a half-dozen cameras in the ELPH series. I have the ELPH 100 HS. Also which model Lumix. It does make a difference!

I lied...I just checked and I don't have an Elph...I have the Canon PowerShot SX230HS. Just got it last year after my old Canon was stolen. Love it! It takes really great pics!

Hope you don't mind a newbie weighing in.

I'm a pro-am photog and have a Canon 7D - a big brute! And while I love it, I have travel envy around hubby's Lumix. It takes fab low-light pix my monster can't manage without me scrambling to change settings.

Definitely get/take the Lumix.

Archived