Men - shorts or trousers for dinner

Hi Kruzseeka, I was just going to say how lovely and polite you are to everyone, then I just saw your reply to Ponciau:eek::D Well said.

Anyway, my take on the trousers/jeans thing is a bit more like shot2bits. I know the OP is a first timer, as we all were once, but I don't think I would ever have asked such a question. In fact I think lots people's impression of cruising, before they actually go on one, is that they would have to dress formally every night a la Cunard etc.

As you say, different people have different ideas about dress, so best to choose a cruiseline to suit before booking. I, personally, wouldn't book Cunard, Silverseas etc for that reason, but also don't fancy NCL as too informal. I think Thomson, Fred and P&O are probably about right.

My OH & I always have a shower and change for dinner on holiday- cruise or hotel (not at home though) but obviously some people don't, as you see them wearing the same clothes, day and night On one hotel holiday in Spain one of the guests wore his Wolves FC shirt all week Of course he may have had more than one!!

I love jeans, wear them most of the time at home, but surely people have smart trousers in their wardrobes. Would they go to a smart restaurant or a wedding for instance in jeans? I don't think so!

Anyway, I have had my say, so back to the Olympics. What are we going to do with ourselves next week??

Hi Linda :) Your views on dressing for dinner mirror mine exactly. I like to consider it like going to a nice restaurant and want to feel it is a bit of an occasion - but not to have too many formal nights or too complicated dress codes. Like you that puts me off the likes of Cunard - although with all the cruise stuff squirrelled away in the wardrobe (I can't resist a bargain! ;) ) I'm sure I could muster up enough formal/semi-formal wear for a 14 nighter! :D

But from what you say I think perhaps P&O and/or Fred may suit us well. I've been looking at their itineraries for next year for the North Cape or Iceland as Thomson aren't doing those from Harwich again so if you feel they are not dissimilar to Thomson that's reassuring and we may very well give them a whirl.

P.S. I do try to be polite and non-controversial and see things from different points of view but just occasionally that approach is sorely tried! :D

Well, I haven't been on P&O (yet:D) but my brother and neighbours won't go on anything else, in fact my neighbours are at this very moment on the Oceana on their way to Gibralter (I am looking after their very vicious cat :eek:)

but as you know I love the Braemar, not tried their other ships, but they seem to have a good following. Dave is the expert on P&O - over to you Dave :D

I have just been on Celebrity website and stirred it up a bit about tips - naughty me;)

Well, I haven't been on P&O (yet:D) but my brother and neighbours won't go on anything else, in fact my neighbours are at this very moment on the Oceana on their way to Gibralter (I am looking after their very vicious cat :eek:)

but as you know I love the Braemar, not tried their other ships, but they seem to have a good following. Dave is the expert on P&O - over to you Dave :D

I have just been on Celebrity website and stirred it up a bit about tips - naughty me;)

Must go over and check it out! :D

And good luck with the cat! :eek:

In reply to Wddeni - I think you are missing the whole point of the matter, most Cruise Lines do not allow jeans for dinner in the main restaurant, its irrelevant that you have seen businessmen in jeans - if you are not happy to dress for dinner as most people are fully prepared to do, just don't go on cruises and personality really does not come into the argument at all.

Ormy, I am only giving my opinion, sorry that you dont like it!!

I never once said I would not dress, I was merely stating that people have opinions and choices and should be accepted for who they are not what they wear, Next it will be what label is on the suit that is important..

All Matalan sit to the left, George on the Right:D

I intend to Cruise and wear what I feel comfortable in not what I want others to see me as

You can dress it up whatever way you want but this in no way was meant to be seen as an argument as you stated above, only my own view on Trousers:p

In reply to Wddeni - I think you are missing the whole point of the matter, most Cruise Lines do not allow jeans for dinner in the main restaurant, its irrelevant that you have seen businessmen in jeans - if you are not happy to dress for dinner as most people are fully prepared to do, just don't go on cruises and personality really does not come into the argument at all.

I think we all know all of the above to be correct , so now that would just leave the child wear .

Kids that dress smart and in shorts seem to have no problems getting in the MDRoom's ,

so if your a smart dressed young looking chappie like StevieDeccaman you may just get away with a pair of smart shorts ... :D:D;)

fashionpolice.jpg

Brilliant:D

We live in a changing world which gets less formal by the year, certainly you do see passengers wearing shorts at dinner regularly on cruise ships that are dominated by an Americal crowd. The question about wearing shorts for dinner has been going on for years and many still think its fine if the shorts are of the formal nature. Personaly I think cruise traditions should be kept but then I'm old fashioned that way.

Im 24 and i think that the cruise ship traditions should be preserved. Formal nights and trousers in the dining room at least

Regarding Jeans I believe the Cruise brochure does advise this in the info at back of brochure also it is mentioned in the little cruise booklet, last time I looked said No jeans allowed in main dining room, regarding shorts would you like to be in there and some old geyser like me comes in, tights shorts varicos veins on display along with various scares?

just checked again....nope it does mention no jeans however my interpretation on smart casual trousers is no jeans maybe it's a generation thingy, however it does say def no shorts full length trousers only except Island escape, IMO keep some traditions and I believe dressing for dinner is important, thomsons give you a choice, if you dont want to dine in the buffet.

maybe if Thomsons drop their dress code I will then dine in my illuminous pink Mankini ! because the more we stretch the dresscode thing trust me this will happen......I hope they keep the dress code, again part of the cruise experience getting nice clothes before you go rather than rushing into matalan buying 10 T shirts at £3 a piece, the jean thing is maybe about a pair of jeans you can wear quite a few times before they look tired and need washing whereas trousers need to be pressed frequently?

:D

I don't think anyone is suggesting that £3 t-shirts or jeans count as smart casual. What is being suggested is that a person wearing a designer t-shirt and expensive dark jeans is smart casual. Certainly smarter than a person who although has a shirt and trousers on (that probably cost £3) looks more like Shadrack from Emmerdale.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that £3 t-shirts or jeans count as smart casual. What is being suggested is that a person wearing a designer t-shirt and expensive dark jeans is smart casual. Certainly smarter than a person who although has a shirt and trousers on (that probably cost £3) looks more like Shadrack from Emmerdale.

I would wear nice jeans and a fancy top to go for a bar meal but if I were going to a smart restaurant I would wear trousers or dress and OH would wear trousers and shirts. We are old fashioned that way. I equate the ship dining experience to that of a smart restaurant and would not like to see people wearing jeans there. It then becomes the thin end of the wedge where someone has to decide whether the jeans are in fact smart designer or not and opens up a whole can of worms. I prefer the rule "no jeans" and then there is no dubiety about it. If I didn't like the dress code then I wouldn't go.

I would wear nice jeans and a fancy top to go for a bar meal but if I were going to a smart restaurant I would wear trousers or dress and OH would wear trousers and shirts. We are old fashioned that way. I equate the ship dining experience to that of a smart restaurant and would not like to see people wearing jeans there. It then becomes the thin end of the wedge where someone has to decide whether the jeans are in fact smart designer or not and opens up a whole can of worms. I prefer the rule "no jeans" and then there is no dubiety about it. If I didn't like the dress code then I wouldn't go.

This is how I feel too Nell - and you have taught me a new word too 'dubiety' - never heard that one before! Has it got Scottish origins? My reading/vocabulary has missed out on this one. (I do find on my eReader I use the dictionary quite often for words I must admit I would have glossed over if reading a book - not having a dictionary to hand and just have a best guess at its meaning - just shows never too old to learn as they say! :D ) It has a nice ring - my challenge now is to use it! :D

This is how I feel too Nell - and you have taught me a new word too 'dubiety' - never heard that one before! Has it got Scottish origins? My reading/vocabulary has missed out on this one. (I do find on my eReader I use the dictionary quite often for words I must admit I would have glossed over if reading a book - not having a dictionary to hand and just have a best guess at its meaning - just shows never too old to learn as they say! :D ) It has a nice ring - my challenge now is to use it! :D

Was one of my dear old dad's words, Kruzseeka. They don't make 'em like they used to :D

:D Love it

andy%20devine.jpg

Nell I kinda agree.I`m a jeans polo/shirt type person as norm but whilst on holiday/cruise do wear trousers(apart from once)/polo shirt when dining in the restaurant.What constitutes dressy/designer type jeans is a grey area and as you say the easiest way aroung this is a "no jeans policy"..

Grez,

if you want to see designer T shirts our council estate is full of chavs wearing them:) Henleys,superdry?or whatever it is!,etc cheap as chips:)

Archived