NOLA: The Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon St.

cruisepal67

Has anyone stayed at this establishment before? What is the area like around the hotel?

Have never stayed at the Royal Sonesta, although I know it's a very popular. I wouldn't stay there for the very reason you bring up: Bourbon St. is THE party street in the Quarter, and has the most of the bars and music joints, and the highest pedestrian traffic at night.

If you want to get any sleep, I'd suggest finding somewhere else. :)

OP, the Royal Sonesta is one of the finest hotels in the French Quarter. It is in the heart of everything. Very expensive. Very classy. But get a room that overlooks the courtyard and not Bourbon Street! My parents are staying there tonight, celebrating their anniversary (42 years!). I've stayed there twice.

OP, the Royal Sonesta is one of the finest hotels in the French Quarter. It is in the heart of everything. Very expensive. Very classy. But get a room that overlooks the courtyard and not Bourbon Street! My parents are staying there tonight, celebrating their anniversary (42 years!). I've stayed there twice.

One of the reasons I was considering this hotel is my DD has a good discount for this property. The hotel is also so beautiful.

Is the courtyard rooms quieter? That is what I am hoping for?

Congratulations to your folks. That is wonderful.

One of the reasons I was considering this hotel is my DD has a good discount for this property. The hotel is also so beautiful.

Is the courtyard rooms quieter? That is what I am hoping for?

Congratulations to your folks. That is wonderful.

Hi Cruisepal,

We have stayed at the Royal Sonesta on a number of ocassions (anniversaries and weekend get-aways, etc,). This is a beautiful property that is a treat.

We have stayed in a balcony room over looking Bourbon St. on one of the ocassions that we went for the weekend to enjoy the atmosphere. The particular rooms overlookig Bourbon St. are right accross Rick's Cabaret a "Gentlemen's Club" and sitting on the balcony was an experience. My DW's first words after looking at the crowd walking below on Bourbon St. were "that's why guys like balconies". :D We also stayed in a couryard room for our 25th anniversary and really enjoyed it as it was very quiet.

IMHO you can't go wrong staying at the Royal Sonesta.

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...
Have read that the Pellam is not a good place to stay.

I have had the misfortune of staying at The Pellam during a trip to New Orleans. The hotel staff are disrespectful of the guests, the elevator gets stuck frequently, had hot water once during my stay despite all hotel guests complaining, & the mattresses were questionable at best. Attempted to tell the manager on duty about my concerns but got "ok, we'll get back to you." Wrote a letter to complain to the manager of the "hotel" & got no response.

My advice would be to at the Hilton Riverside. The rooms are nice, staff are extremely respectful to all guests, had hot water throughout my stay, & managers were always asking the guests how their stay was.

Archived