Student With Questions

UofIKCP

I'm a student at the University of Illinois and was researching Cunard this summer for a paper. I was hoping some past passengers could share their thoughts on the company and its product.

The main question I'm trying to answer is what made you want to take a Cunard cruise? I can't tell if people are planning on taking a vacation, and Cunard is just one of their choices...or if this whole Transatlantic thing is the only vacation choice in the runningconfused.gif.

If you care to describe the onboard atmosphere also, I'm all ears (or eyes I guess).

And of course, the best way for me to complete my research would be to take a Transatlantic voyage myself...so, donations will be acceptedwink.gif (just kidding).

Thanks for your thoughts.

UofIKCP,

I would suggest you read these boards as far back as they go - those may be your 'primary sources'. Asking posters for 'potted answers' may be misleading - subject to post rationalisation.....and also a bit lazy....I fear there is no good substitute for sifting through the evidence!

Peter

We took an eastbound transatlantic primarily because we had the time and the money. We hate the eastbound flight because even if you travel in Business the overnight flight always leaves you feeling shot the next day. The QM2 experience was relaxed and should be regarded as one of the world's great travel experiences. We arrived in Southampton rested, considerably heavier and rarin' to go! A great difference to norm!

Eatsallinsects,

Can you explain for me why the pure Cunard Transatlantic is more appealing than a transatlantic on another line (with stops at ports along the way)? Is the ship really that interesting that it can keep you entertained for six days...or is it more about the experience of making the crossing?

It seems to me that other lines take you to destinations to experience the culture and history of that particular place, whereas the Cunard ship seems to be the destination, with all the culture and history right onboard.

Is the crossing the trip itself, or is there more to it?

One of the best sources for your question would be James Villas who wrote an article in the May 2000 issue of Gourmet Mazagine entitled: The Crosser. In the article, Mr. Villas describes (with wit and grace) his passion for the Queen Elizabeth 2 transatlantic crossings (he had completed 64 at time of writing). His story spans many decades providing insight into how it once was and how the crossing has evolved.

Hope you can track down the article.

To tell the truth, we have never been on any other ships. I believe it's been 8 times for the QE2 and twice for the QM2, so far.

In the case of the QE2, the ship is definitely the destination, other than our past 2 trips on her. Those were through the Panama Canal and definitely worth it.

Our first trip on the QM2 was to the Caribbean and they made us an offer we couldn't refuse (smile). Our other trip on the QM2 was coming back from the tandem crossing (going over, we were on the QE2). The flight from London to Dallas seems interminable, so we opted for the ship, instead.

I know many would be more than glad to correct my impressions but I have always had the feelings that the other ship lines "push" the party aspect of their ships and we are not into that. We prefer the laid-back "elegance" and more formal clothing. Hope this helps--Edithe in Dallas TEXAS

Are most of the people on the crossing familiar with Cunard's history, and somewhat compelled to choose Cunard based on that heritage? Or are there a number of first-time Cunarders who look at the crossing as just one of several different luxury vacation opportunities?

For all the experienced Cunarders, since the introduction of QM2, have you noticed a change in the demographic onboard...is the more contemporary QM2 living up to the expected elegance of a Cunard crossing or is it lowering the quality of the experience?

I, for one, feel as if the QM2 does not demonstrate the ambiance of "elegance" which the QE2 does but I do not blame Cunard. It's the passengers, for the most part, who do not dress nor comport themselves in keeping with the history of the Cunard ships: asking if the wearing of jeans is acceptable; pushing and shoving in Kings Court dining areas during the day; pushing and shoving in the theater areas (and saving blocks of seats after being asked to not do that). Manners seem to be a foreign word to so many.

Eatsallinsects:

Why has the demeanor of passengers changed? Has there been a drop in age of the typical passenger? Are passengers primarilay American or European? Is there a clear distinction between the behavior of American's and Europeans onboard? On the same note, is the QE2 passenger base primarily European thus adding to the proper etiquette? How important is the etiquette of other passengers in creating the onboard ambience?

Eatsallinsects:

Why has the demeanor of passengers changed? Has there been a drop in age of the typical passenger? Are passengers primarilay American or European? Is there a clear distinction between the behavior of American's and Europeans onboard? On the same note, is the QE2 passenger base primarily European thus adding to the proper etiquette? How important is the etiquette of other passengers in creating the onboard ambience?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know that I would say the demeanor has "changed": we were on the ship in March 2004 to the Caribbean and on May 1 from Southampton, coming back from the tandem crossing. My feeling is that those on the Caribbean trip were, for the most part, looking forward to being on one of the newest ships and going to "foreign, exotic ports"--I think, in that case, almost any new, glitzy ship would have made them happy. On the transatlantic, people were on the ship for the experience of the ship. I believe I have read that the majority of passengers are American, I am ashamed to say. Also, again I believe I have read that the age categories are, for the most part, older: late 30s to 80s? But, I think the same holds true of the QE2 and I had one of my most unpleasant experiences aboard the QE2 with a remark by a woman who was obviously from the British Isles.

To me, the manners and etiquette of the other passengers is primary in enjoying the experience. Fortunately, my daughter and I have made many friends with staff members which more than makes up for the passengers (smile).

UofIKCP

My wife and I were on a 7 night Caribbean sailing in Feb. We are in our early 30's and have been on a few other cruise ships before. To honestly answer your question the 3 reasons we decided sail on the QM2 was 1. The Hype. 2. She is the largest cruise ship at sea. 3. I am a bit of a maritime buff and am facinated with the history of Cunard, both Samuel and his company. She really did live up to the hype, as this was one of our best vacations ever. I was captivated by the maritime artwork, the historical tour, the sheer elegance and the whole onboard atmosphere. (I even was amused by the grand mural discretely featuring Homer Simpson watching TV). By the way if you would like any more info feel free to e-mail me as talking about our experiences on the QM2 brings back some great memories.

Daivd

dsakaki@shaw.ca

So here's a question that I am struggling to answer:

When one is planning to take a vacation and is considering a Cunard crossing, what other vacation options is he or she considering?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I've never cruised or crossed Cunard, and have never been on a cruise. That is because I would only really want to sail Cunard. My reasons?:

a) I am a huge liner fan, and Cunard is steeped in history;

b) I'm not the kind of person who wants to climb a rock wall or go to the tiki bar next to the pool. I'd rather enjoy the refined elegance of Cunard;

c) While other ships have this elegance, I feel that they do not feel like true "ships"; QE2 and QM2 are real ships. They have the profile, the strength, and the beauty.

d) I want my first "cruising" experience to be a true transatlantic crossing, like those of our ancestors. Cunard is the only one that offers a true crossing; other ships go on repositioning cruises that take up to 16 days to cover the same route as the Queens.

I feel that there is something special about Cunard. Something that makes it special. And that's the reason I've never been on a cruise. ;) :D

If one is planning a vacation either in Europe or the States, and doesn't want to fly, then Cunard is really the only game in town! You can find other lines ships making individual crossings from West to east in April/May and vice versa from Oct/Nov but they tend to be crossings on the Southern Sunshine route. Occasionally there are sailings westbound from Scandinavia/Britain in September for ships repositioning to the NE US for Autumn foliage cruises up to Canada, but if you want to sail at any other time from New York, Cunard QM2 is the only choice.....and a very good choice at that.

We sailed the Prinsendam from Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale last November and that was a pleasant voyage on a disappointing ship. Having taken the over night redeye from the US to London many times, sailing is infinitely preferable. A P grade stateroom is about the same as a discounted business class round trip fare.If I have the time Cunard is the way to go!

Eatsallinsects,

Can you explain for me why the pure Cunard Transatlantic is more appealing than a transatlantic on another line (with stops at ports along the way)? Is the ship really that interesting that it can keep you entertained for six days...or is it more about the experience of making the crossing?

It seems to me that other lines take you to destinations to experience the culture and history of that particular place, whereas the Cunard ship seems to be the destination, with all the culture and history right onboard.

Is the crossing the trip itself, or is there more to it?

You know, your questions sound like ones Princess would ask, except that Princess has, to date, exhibited little interest in understanding that which motivates those who love pure trans-Atlantic crossings. One thing about a crossing of the North Atlantic is the wonderful sense that for six days one is an inhabitant of a world apart. Were there ports-of-call along the way that sense of a separate world would be destroyed. The ship herself is a destination, much the way the Isle de France was in her time. Aside from the excellent information and suggestions you have received here and on your other thread, I would suggest you go to alibris.com and purchase "The Sway of the Grand Saloon" and "The Only Way To Cross". If you read these books, you will understand.

Richard

Glad you found the James Villas article; hope your research is going well.

Good Luck with your paper. Hope you send the cruise line a copy of your final product.

Wishing you cruising in your future.

Archived