Hobby to Galveston

Bruin Steve

Okay, so it's only about 40 miles in each direction...but apparently impossible to get there inexpensively...

I'm getting $112 each way for two via SuperShuttle...in a towncar...but, amazingly, $140 in a shared shuttle!

I can't even find a rental car company that will do a practical one-way rental dropping off in Galveston...

Z Limo is quoting me $85 each way...

Is Z limo the best way to go? With a tip for the driver, it looks like about $200 just to get the two of us to the cruise and back...I guess at least we don't have to share or wait for others...

If you are going in the day before, ask your hotel for ideas.

I'm staying at Comfort Inn and Suites near Hobby the day before and they "contract out" to a guy that drives a shuttle to the port and back.

He quoted me today at $60 for 2 people one way.

That's the cheapest I've found.

Okay, so it's only about 40 miles in each direction...but apparently impossible to get there inexpensively...

I'm getting $112 each way for two via SuperShuttle...in a towncar...but, amazingly, $140 in a shared shuttle!

I can't even find a rental car company that will do a practical one-way rental dropping off in Galveston...

Is Z limo the best way to go? With a tip for the driver, it looks like about $200 just to get the two of us to the cruise and back...I guess at least we don't have to share or wait for others...

How much is the cruise ship transfer?

I'm staying at Comfort Inn and Suites near Hobby the day before and they "contract out" to a guy that drives a shuttle to the port and back.

Thanks so much for this tip. We just booked the WC for next Fall and are just beginning to do our homework. Will definitely be coming in early and this gives us a place to start. Comfort Inns are quite nice and if I remember correctly also include breakfasts which makes them very affordable.

Enjoy your cruise :)

With a tip for the driver, it looks like about $200 just to get the two of us to the cruise and back...I guess at least we don't have to share or wait for others...

One of the reasons we never cruised from Galveston. Now that Im here half of the time its a great drive to port.

$200 total isnt that bad for private town car.

We are flying in the day before also, Saturday March 30 from Mi. We are looking at options, to get the 4 of us to the Port. I forgot what a problem it was several years ago. We finally booked a hotel near the airport that did shuttle us to the Port for free. ( that option is gone now ) Than we paid carnival a one way price to return us to the airport.

We may be forced to use Carnival shuttle from the airport early Sunday morning. We will just find a hotel to shuttle us to & from the airport - on Saturday and again on Sunday. Any other ideas? :confused:

We just rented a car from HOU to Galveston via Enterprise. For a SUV (There are 3 of us, 1 baby, 4 pieces of luggage, car seat and stroller lol!) it was $115 including taxed. The price was way cheaper than any car service quote I got (although comparable to Super Shuttle). We are literally driving it for one afternoon. We are booked at Comfort Suites which has a free shuttle to the port.

We just rented a car from HOU to Galveston via Enterprise. For a SUV (There are 3 of us, 1 baby, 4 pieces of luggage, car seat and stroller lol!) it was $115 including taxed. The price was way cheaper than any car service quote I got (although comparable to Super Shuttle). We are literally driving it for one afternoon. We are booked at Comfort Suites which has a free shuttle to the port.

Hi DisMom! I was thinking along the same lines as you, but was wondering about how you figured out a couple of logistics:

- on the Comfort Suites website it says the shuttle has a charge associated with it - did you ask for a free shuttle or was it offered somewhere?

- Are you dropping the rental car off on the day of your sailing and then taking a cab from the car rental facility to the cruise terminal? If not, what's your plan?

Thanks,

Hi DisMom! I was thinking along the same lines as you, but was wondering about how you figured out a couple of logistics:

- on the Comfort Suites website it says the shuttle has a charge associated with it - did you ask for a free shuttle or was it offered somewhere?

- Are you dropping the rental car off on the day of your sailing and then taking a cab from the car rental facility to the cruise terminal? If not, what's your plan?

Thanks,

Sorry, I don't know why I typed free shuttle, lol. I have a sick DD and was up all night so I blame it on lack of sleep. The shuttle is $20 per room for up to 4 people from Comfort Suites.

One of the wonderful things about cruising out of Galveston, it's so cheap and easy to do!

Enterprise is not open on Sunday, don't know what day your cruising.;)

Are you saying it is cheap to cruise out of Galveston beacause you dont have to pay air fair and hotel.

We were just quoted 169 for 1 night, breakfast and a shuttle for 4 R/T hotel to Cruise port and than Cruise Port to airport - wonder if we trust this rate? Booked on the Magic March 31 2013

Here is what we did:

booked a hotel near Hobby. The following morning we took the hotel shuttle BACK to the airport, when the Carnival bus picked us up and took us to the port. From Hobby its 30.00 p.p each way to the port, and from ICH, its 40.00 p.p each way.

This time we are arriving at 11:00 into hobby and we have the transfers already to take us to port.

Sorry, I don't know why I typed free shuttle, lol. I have a sick DD and was up all night so I blame it on lack of sleep. The shuttle is $20 per room for up to 4 people from Comfort Suites.

Just called this hotel - no shuttle available- The desk person did give me a name of a company to call - but suggested that I just contact the Cruise Line for transfers - she said this is more reliable :confused: Bev

We have a towncar for 3 people on 10/20 from Hobby to La Quinta for $65 including eveything but tip through 247 Lux Limo.

Good luck!

We have a towncar for 3 people on 10/20 from Hobby to La Quinta for $65 including eveything but tip through 247 Lux Limo.

Good luck!

Wow thats a good price..... About half of what they normally charge.

No, it's crazy difficult and expensive compared to other ports. Even NYC is cheaper and easier than Galveston.

Oops sorry didnt pick up on Sarcasim. One of the reasons we never cruised out of Galveston before.......... was its a PITA .

We are flying in the day before also, Saturday March 30 from Mi. We are looking at options, to get the 4 of us to the Port. I forgot what a problem it was several years ago. We finally booked a hotel near the airport that did shuttle us to the Port for free. ( that option is gone now ) Than we paid carnival a one way price to return us to the airport.

We may be forced to use Carnival shuttle from the airport early Sunday morning. We will just find a hotel to shuttle us to & from the airport - on Saturday and again on Sunday. Any other ideas? :confused:

my family of 4 is also booked on this cruise. We reserved a car from enterprise. Pick up is Friday March 29 at Hobby and dropping it off in Galveston before the cruise at the rental office. The rate is $174 for the 2 days. The office is closed Sunday so we have to leave the keys in a drop box. Still have to figure out how to get to the port though.

We booked a room at Gaidos Seeside Inn in Galveston for $75 per night. Nothing fancy, very basic place but reviews say it is clean. Figured we will then at least have the car to get around. Will then book a service to get us from the port back to the airport. Car rental has to be booked with an agent on the phone, can't do a one-way on the internet.

We booked this cruise yesterday (myself & DS14) and are also, from Michigan. I'm starting to regret this decision already!!! Rooms are already sold out...I found 1 at the Country Inn & Suites for $325 per night. Youv'e got to be kidding me!!! Have you booked your airfare yet? It's outrageous as well....

Never been to this port and planned on flying in Friday (if I can find somewhere to stay and something to do).

Help please :confused:

Hilton - $166, Four Point Sheraton - $169, La Quinta - $139

The above is for one night - March 30th.

The prices are from various hotel booking websites.

However, I have found sthe hotel websites are less expensive. An example; reserved a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for 1 night pre-cruise in December. Hotel website - $79/night; Hotels.com - $139/night:confused:

There are affordable hotels/motels on the island, just research though yellow pages.

Hilton - $166, Four Point Sheraton - $169, La Quinta - $139

The above is for one night - March 30th.

The prices are from various hotel booking websites.

However, I have found sthe hotel websites are less expensive. An example; reserved a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for 1 night pre-cruise in December. Hotel website - $79/night; Hotels.com - $139/night:confused:

There are affordable hotels/motels on the island, just research though yellow pages.

Thanks!

Are those in Galveston or by the airport?

Archived