Hobby to Galveston

Bruin Steve

We booked this cruise yesterday (myself & DS14) and are also, from Michigan. I'm starting to regret this decision already!!! Rooms are already sold out...I found 1 at the Country Inn & Suites for $325 per night. Youv'e got to be kidding me!!! Have you booked your airfare yet? It's outrageous as well....

Never been to this port and planned on flying in Friday (if I can find somewhere to stay and something to do).

Help please :confused:

It is Spring Break everywhere on the all three coasts!

Double check that on Country?

Are you sure its not for two nights?

Go on bidding sites

Try Inn at the Waterpark next to Moody Gardens

http://www.moodygardens.com/

see other posts and threads

We live here and can help!

Galveston Island is a destination city like New Orleans!

We have the beaches, large events and two first class convention centers.

Yes rooms supply can get tight!

Come on Down:)

Festivales and events every weekend special festivales and events

Beach Day trippers to the 34 miles of beach

Weekenders to their homes on 34 miles of Beach and Bay

Large Conventions

Beach Events

Summer Season

Spring Break

LoneStar Bike Rally

Mardi Gras

Dickens on the Strand

Galveston Historical Foundation Historical Properties

Moody Gardens Family Venue

Pleasure Pier

Schliterbaun Water Park

Old Town at Port

Theater Venues (Last night saw Lyle Lovette and his big Band) (See ETC Theater and 1894 Grand Opers House)

Free cruise to Bolivar

And many cruisers every week coming from/to five ships in 2012

Many More

It is Spring Break everywhere on the all three coasts!

Double check that on Country?

Are you sure its not for two nights?

Go on bidding sites

Try Inn at the Waterpark next to Moody Gardens

www.moodygardens.com/

see other posts and threads

We live here and can help!

When I looked this morning...it was per night....3/29 - 3/31/13

On the east coast (Michigan) Spring Break starts 3/28 until 4/8/13.

Will check...thanks! I'm just starting but, was feeling a little discouraged. I see hotels around the airport with free airport shuttle. Then we can take Carnival transport if all else fails. If we stay in Galveston the transportation to the hotel kills the deal as I don't want to rent a car.

When I looked this morning...it was per night....3/29 - 3/31/13

On the east coast (Michigan) Spring Break starts 3/28 until 4/8/13.

Will check...thanks! I'm just starting but, was feeling a little discouraged. I see hotels around the airport with free airport shuttle. Then we can take Carnival transport if all else fails. If we stay in Galveston the transportation to the hotel kills the deal as I don't want to rent a car.

That isnt spring break in Texas( I dont think) I think TX spring break is middle of the month

Try last minute travel dot com they have hotels for $102 a night for maybe the Holiday inn and 108 a night maybe the Hilton.

If you call direct it might be 10% cheaper as long as you dont mention any hotel names

Okay, so it's only about 40 miles in each direction...but apparently impossible to get there inexpensively...

I'm getting $112 each way for two via SuperShuttle...in a towncar...but, amazingly, $140 in a shared shuttle!

I can't even find a rental car company that will do a practical one-way rental dropping off in Galveston...

Z Limo is quoting me $85 each way...

Is Z limo the best way to go? With a tip for the driver, it looks like about $200 just to get the two of us to the cruise and back...I guess at least we don't have to share or wait for others...

HAHA! I feel your pain, we tried all those as well! Cheapest we could find was the transfer our cruise-line offered ($60 RT). Best of luck!

Okay...just to update the thread, here's what we ended up (or are going to end up) doing:

We just threw the budget...or any semblance of a budget...out the window...

Originally, we were looking at a "cheap" getaway...a really nice rate on a nice balcony on the Mariner of the Seas...reasonable airfare from Los Angeles to Houston...one night in a hotel in Galveston...then back home...

But these things have a tendency to build to a climax...

Seeing the difficulties in getting to Galveston and back from Hobby, we finally decided not to fret over a few dollars in transportation cost...The convenience would be worth it...So, we booked a Towncar with Z Limo...and a room at the Galveston Hilton...

But then, a few weeks ago, we were visiting our 28 year old daughter in San Francisco...she's getting her Doctorate at USF...So, we ask her when her Winter Break is and if she has any plans...well, it turns out she's off the week we're going...So, we start wondering if out other daughter, the 26 year old who lives in Sacramento, can take off from her job that week...

Sure enough she can...and both daughters are excited...So, we book a second cabin...and the slightly more expensive airfare for two from SFO to Hobby...

Of course, now, the Towncar won't really accommodate the four of us plus luggage...So, I call Z Limo and we have to change it out for a larger vehicle...at an obviously higher fee...

So, the budget and any idea of a cheap getaway is out the window...we now have a full scale "family vacation"... With two cabins, four airfares, hotel, higher limo cost, twice as many shore excursions and tours--and some compromise there as well--now we're zip lining in Roatan despite my wife's trepidation...

In the greater scheme of things, the transportation cost Hobby-Galveston-Hobby is now just a minor consideration...It's an expensive ride...but just one small part of a suddenly expensive trip...

Of course, to balance this out, it's going to be nice to have the girls cruise with us again...we haven't had the whole amply together for a cruise in about 7 or 8 years...They are great kids and, heavens knows, we can afford to do this a lot easier than either of them could afford a nice cruise these days...

It's going to be nice...you can't fly nonstop from SFO to Hobby, so we managed to get them on a flight that goes SFO to LAX to Hobby and back the same way...and both LAX-Hobby and Hobby-LAX are the SAME flights we're on...And, we managed to get them the Promenade View cabin directly across the hall from our cabin...

Thanks, for all the help! I have decided to stay downtown Houston so, I can take my son to see the Rockets play. Booked the Hyatt which is close and they have free shuttle service to Downtown attractions. Cab fare should be around $25. Then either I will hire a car to take us to the port or take the Carnival Shuttle from the hotel.

bdkb - I just looked at Enterprise and I don't see an office in Galveston - so where are you dropping it off at? Is it a differant name?

Thanks!

There is an Enterprise office in Galveston on Broadway, right after you get off the causeway. I pass it all the time.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=0618&bid=004&cnty=US

Thanks, for all the help! I have decided to stay downtown Houston so, I can take my son to see the Rockets play. Booked the Hyatt which is close and they have free shuttle service to Downtown attractions. Cab fare should be around $25. Then either I will hire a car to take us to the port or take the Carnival Shuttle from the hotel.

Sounds like a good plan!

bdkb - I just looked at Enterprise and I don't see an office in Galveston - so where are you dropping it off at? Is it a differant name?

Thanks!

I couldn't find any rental companies in Galveston to drop off.

There is an Enterprise office in Galveston on Broadway, right after you get off the causeway. I pass it all the time.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=0618&bid=004&cnty=US

Do they shuttle you to the port and back?

edit to add, when looking at one way rentals on Enterpise, it only allows you to drop them off at airport locations.

I booked oneway rental with Enterprise from Hobby. $49.95 plus tax equals $65 with no drop fee, pick up on Friday and drop off Saturday.

Any ideas on taxi cost from Enterprise to the port and how easy/difficult it will be to get a taxi?

Here is what we did:

booked a hotel near Hobby. The following morning we took the hotel shuttle BACK to the airport, when the Carnival bus picked us up and took us to the port. From Hobby its 30.00 p.p each way to the port, and from ICH, its 40.00 p.p each way.

This time we are arriving at 11:00 into hobby and we have the transfers already to take us to port.

This is what we are planning for our 01/13/13 trip on the Magic.....

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, so it's only about 40 miles in each direction...but apparently impossible to get there inexpensively...

I'm getting $112 each way for two via SuperShuttle...in a towncar...but, amazingly, $140 in a shared shuttle!

I can't even find a rental car company that will do a practical one-way rental dropping off in Galveston...

Z Limo is quoting me $85 each way...

Is Z limo the best way to go? With a tip for the driver, it looks like about $200 just to get the two of us to the cruise and back...I guess at least we don't have to share or wait for others...

Check Galveston Limo website. They advertise $45 pp one way $80 pp roundtrip.

Archived