What to wear to Formal Dinner

jdhw

Goingcruisin:

I don't look at everything as black and white. Every person is different. As long as they are not hurting anyone I don't see the big deal. Sorry but thats my opinion.

And you are entitled to your opinion of course! :)

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't see everything in black and white, however, I will follow a dress code out of respect (and good Southern raising ;) ) for my fellow passengers. There are times I don't feel like dressing up and I eat elsewhere... it's as simple as that. It is my vacation and I know that depending on my mood, I have options... I do the same thing when I travel to any resort or land based vacation as well. I dress appropriately for the venue.

I think what annoys posters like Cotton -feel free to correct me if i'm wrong- are the people with the "nobody is going to tell me what to do" mentallity. It will not be held against anyone if their formal attire is not name brand or earings are cubic zirconia. The anger and indignation comes when people don't even try to adhere to the guidelines. There is something special about dining with a large group all in their finest attire in an elegant dining room on the ocean. So to original poster take with you the best you own and enjoy the experience and don't go into it with the attitude that it is a burden.

aebalc, exactly! If people even bother to read anything before their cruise, they know about the guidelines for dressing in the evening. It's the ones that don't even attempt to follow the guidelines that bug me. I don't let it ruin my cruise, but I also think they are downright rude to do so.

I'll probably need my flame suit after this, but one of the costs of cruising is having the appropriate clothing for the dining room. If you don't, save up or stay home!

Gosh.......don't get me started....I think you all KNOW how I feel when someone asks me what to wear for formal dinner.....I just shorten the answer to say.....Go look around in a "formal" shop and that's what you wear.;)

Ever consider that booking a cruise puts a big dent in the wallet and maybe some people actually cannot afford to go out and buy a suit or a fancy dress that they may never have the occasion to wear again. Why must they miss out enjoying the dinning room on formal night because of that. I can understand complaining about shorts and flip flops and not be allowed in the dinning but if the person is neat and clean who will be hurt by them not being dressed formally.

I was not suggesting that everybody needs to go out and purchases a tux or a formal gown, but when someone asks if they need to wear a tie or a suit jacket jacket on formal night I just think it is a no brainer. Like GoinCruisin stated it is not called "Formal ( if you feel like it ) Night". There are approriate dress requirements for lots of occasions and to not dress approriately because it is a burden to pack, or because it might get too hot are just not good excuses in my opinion.

lynyrd

Originally Posted by Cotton

Formal is formal. "Formal" means tux for men and long gowns for ladies. MOST cruisers adhere to the dress code set forth by the cruiselines.

Although every man is not in a tux, most at least have on a dark suit and tie, and ladies dress in either gowns or cocktail dresses. Some do wear very nice 'church'-type dresses, and some men do wear sports jacket, dress slacks, and tie. Always at least a tie.

I've cruised on the Holiday four times, and I've seen everything from full length sequined gowns to nice dresses.

What I have NOT seen is jeans in the dining room, not on casual nights, and certainly not on formal night. I HAVE seen the Maitre 'd refuse entry to the dining room to several people for inappropriate attire. If those folks don't choose to dress for dinner, that's what the Lido Deck buffet area is for.

and I ditto also!!!!!

I think part of the problem may be with the PVP when we ask him about the formal dinner atire he said no you don't have to wear a Tux or suit just dress pants and dress shirt are fine no shorts blue jeans or T shirts. Thats why I ask the question to start with. I didn't expect to get bombed!

I think what annoys posters like Cotton -feel free to correct me if i'm wrong- are the people with the "nobody is going to tell me what to do" mentallity. It will not be held against anyone if their formal attire is not name brand or earings are cubic zirconia. The anger and indignation comes when people don't even try to adhere to the guidelines. There is something special about dining with a large group all in their finest attire in an elegant dining room on the ocean. So to original poster take with you the best you own and enjoy the experience and don't go into it with the attitude that it is a burden.

BINGO!

I think part of the problem may be with the PVP when we ask him about the formal dinner atire he said no you don't have to wear a Tux or suit just dress pants and dress shirt are fine no shorts blue jeans or T shirts. Thats why I ask the question to start with. I didn't expect to get bombed!

See thats not fair.Carnival needs to have everyone on the same page.:)

Our first cruise we did the gown and tux thing after seeing what everyone did we went to dress and suit This year I forgot to pack the hubbys shoes so he had on a suit jacket and dress pants and since he nver dresses up I packed his "good" white dress shirt htat he outgrew!!!:0 So needless to say not only didn't he button the top button he didn't wear and tie and had on sneakers what a sight but no one said a word and We also saw people with jeans and sneakers on formal nights I would just go in what is comfy for you but stay away form the jean thing on fromal nites

Whats wrong with a dress shirt and pants??? I consider that dressed up...

yes to what GoinCruisin said...'dressing up' and 'formal' are two different things altogether....dress shirt and pants are 'resort casual'.

Jeans/shorts/capris/sweats are 'relaxed' or 'sporstwear'.

When you go to any major department store into the formal wear department...what is there????

If you googled 'formal wear' what would come up?...(derf, where are you??? ;) )...I'll wager it's not a pair of Dockers and a botton down Gap shirt.

we just came off the Valor 5-08. on formal night men were dressed in tux's, suits, nice shirt and pants, some wore jeans and we even saw basketball shirts and shorts w/sneakers. i think on carnival it's about comfort. whether a tux or jeans, it didn't seem to bother anyone, no one was turned away or stared at. women wore slacks, skirts, dresses and gowns, again what ever your comfort is. i do believe the gowns and tuxes were more for their formal pictures. so wear what ever you have or want to wear. (i really don't think basketball shorts, and sneakers were appropriate but hey what ever floats your boat!

Another Maitre'D, not doing his job....Thankfully, I have seen them turn people away for shorts.... they make such a big point of letting people know they are prohibited from the dining room, but I guess there are some that wait for the MD to slip away and then slip in... silly.

Hmmm. I have seen jeans worn every night, including formal nights, albeit it in seriously reduced numbers on formal nights. Guess I will have to add that to my list of pictures to take on a future cruise.

As for the "code", here it is from last cruise (Valor). On formal nights, it suggests what to wear - suggests not requests, and certainly doesn't require. Shorts are perfectly ok for all meals in the main dining rooms except for dinner. No mention is made of jeans; shorts and tshirts are specifically mentioned. For consistency, if anything else was excluded, it should be specifically mentioned.

M23Ib0a4HclrZKE1eCxTHdGqBQkyAKrd0300.jpg

Cotton and RandyHost are right on it. It's a no brainer and luckily what you read here is not really representive of the other 2000 that will cruise with you. Most people do get it. Carnival has lowered the formal suggested wear to about as low as it can go and still fill like you are in a formal setting as it should be. Otherwise there would be no Formal night at all. Carnvial has also gone out of the their way and expense to provide dining elsewhere for those that don't like the idea of a jacket and tie or nice looking dress. It reflexs more on your social upbringing than the gasp by others of your lack of respect for Carnival's suggestions for the formal dress code. True it's not going to change our cruise experience but I'll bet deep down you will feel somewhat "out of place" if you don't at least adhere to the miniumn suggestions. I also have found the enforcement of the dress codes do vary from ship to ship. I think it's Carnivals job to do better at enforcement otherwise just don't have it. And I don't buy the comments about can't afford a jacket and tie. That's why we shop Goodwill and Salvation Army.

For slightly more than the cost of your two foo-foo drinks you can dress with class.

Archived