Sheraton Cypress Creek FLL

Jdleong

Has anyone stayed here and how did you get to the ship?? I have reservations at either this or the Sheraton Airport, but we have a party of 5 and the suites accommodate us better... any reviews? Also you can take the metrorail from Fll to the hotel...has anyone done this???

You may want to rent a car/minivan if you're going to stay at the Sheraton Suites in Cypress Creek as that would be considerably less expensive than taking taxis up there and then back down to Port Everglades. There's not a whole lot in that area for tourists either, you would probably enjoy having a car to go out to dinner, etc.

You can take MetroRail but IMO having to haul your luggage from the airport to the bus to the train and then getting to the hotel would be far more work than it's worth.

I stay there every year in March during Spring Training. Cypress Creek is nowhere near Port Everglades. If you are looking for a suite hotel, you should be looking at the Embassy Suites on 17th street right outside the entrance to the port.

Even though the trains pass right by the hotel, I'm not sure where the nearest stop is. I really don't think that is the way you would want to go. I think you'd be better off spending a little more at Embassy and utilizing their shuttle services than having to get yourselves all the way up to Cypress Creek and back. But if you want I will be happy to describe in detail what the hotel is like.

It would work out great if the team is in town on the day before the cruise, and we rented a car. With a car ( I have rented one already)do you think that this hotel is okay. I rented a car because we have people arriving at different times, and the cost of taxi's would be far greater. Also with a car, we can go down to Miami to Bubba Gumps for dinner, after the game. I have a sherator voucher for a 2 level hotel for one night and it is either this one or the airport..

Yeah, it would be fine if you have a car. I wouldn't want to be stuck up there without one, but as long as you do I don't see any problem. It's about 20 minutes from Port Everglades and FLL, about 40 minutes from downtown Miami if you wanted to go to Bayside Marketplace.

Maybe it would be better to stay out at the airport Sheraton, but the Cypress resort looks so nice...I currently have reservations at both and will have to decide before I leave, which isn't till March 2006. Do you ever see discount codes for rental cars in your newspapers? I think priceline is the best to go with, but sometimes they have really good offers in the papers. Unfortunatly, it is high season when I get there. and Mini vans are expensive. Is it easy to drop off a rental car and get to the port???

There's a brand new "Rental Car Center" at the Fort Lauderdale airport, it's a very large parking garage in the middle of the airport terminals, and the airport is adjacent to Port Everglades. It's a 5 minute ride to the ships.

Even if you stayed at the airport Sheraton I would still recommend a car, or you would need taxis as there just isn't anything within walking distance of it. If you need an all suite hotel that's within walking distance of shops and restaurants I would also recommend the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street.

I haven't noticed any discount ads in the local paper, but if you're a AAA/CAA member you can get discounts by being a member. I'm sure there are other ways too, but that's the one I use most frequently.

What are your dates in March. The Baltimore Orioles have their games just minutes from the Sheraton Cypress Creek, but the schedule will not come out until December or January. Tickets are usually available unless the Red Sox or Yankees are visiting.

I would hardly call this Sheraton a resort. It's right alongside the road, and the swimming pool and deck are not very big. Now the first impression upon entering the lobby is very nice, and there is a large atrium with tables for the restaurant on the ground level surrounded by trees and such. The bar is extremely small. The guest rooms could use renovation. The rather small bathrooms are most in need of renovation. The marble, or whatever it is around the sinks is cracked and broken in many rooms. As you enter the room there is a living area with a table and 4 chairs , tv, and a pullout sleep sofa. Also a bar with fridge and sink behind. Not sure about a microwave. The bedroom is nicely sized and it does have those great Sheraton beds. It is certainly a more than acceptable property. There are lots of dining options within a few blocks. There is no doubt in my mind that this would most likely be nicer than the Airport Sheraton, and certainly the area is probably nicer, but you will be driving up and down 95 quite a bit.

As far as car rentals go, you will get the best prices the farther in advance you book. Most coupons do not really offer savings at all, because somehow they have you starting from a higher base price. You really just have to shop around. But I have seen the best prices quoted consistantly from http://www.southwest.com The only problem is that they only let you reserve 4-6 months ahead, and right now they are only open for reservations thru the end of October. You just have to keep checking back. March would most like start to be available in October or November. There is no charge when you book here and no charge to cancel in most cases. You would be renting from locations in and near Fort Lauderdale airport. I really don't know if they have shuttles to the port. I'm sure they have them from the port. You'd just have to contact one of the local offices to find out how it would work for you.

as usual. my cruise critic buddies, have the most imformation. That is why I LOVE this board. Whenever I need help, it is there...thanks again now I just have to wait..and wait..and wait. I did look at the Spring Training schedule for last year and they play at 1:00 so I can fly into FLL by 11am and still make a game. My son would love that.now I just have to wait for a schedule for that too. Booking a cruise so far in advance makes it frustrating planning. Wonder what it would be like if I woke up one morning and my DH said " we are leaving for a cruise tonight,pack your bags!" Not likely..but would it be nice. Thanks again

Jan

Jan, Just to give you an example. My next cruise is from San Diego in late October. Just this week Southwest opened up their schedule to October 28, so I checked in to see about booking a car. On the Southwest website, the best rate for what I wanted was with Budget at $22/day. Because I am a member of Budget's frequent renter club, armed with the price info from Southwest, I then usually book directly on the Budget website. Well this time the best price directly from Budget was $25/day, but I noticed a "best price" guarantee on the site. So I booked with both Budget and Southwest, and now have submitted these reservation numbers to take advantage of the guarantee which could net me a free rental day. Both my reservations are cancellable with no penalties until 24 hours before rental commences, and I will still look at various coupons for further discounts if I come across any, but I doubt I can do much better than the $22 rate with SWA.

Yes you do have to have patience. I can book my flight to San Diego now, even though I'm waiting for a better sale price, but I can't book my return flight from when the ship arrives in Florida in November. I just have to wait until they open up for that. Good luck with everything.

Archived