From 'Free' to Fee: Norwegian Cruise Line Now Charges Passengers Under 2

LauraS

It seems as though this topic had been discussed quite a bit prior to the posting of this thread. The other treads have become quite contentious. Is that the purpose of this thread....to keep things stirred up against NCL?

Just an observation.

John

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be merged with all the others discussing this topic?

I have to smile at where these types of threads end up going. We have one on this topic that has went to children vs non-children being allowed on cruises. This one has went to cruises vs AI's.

Now I realize that cruises and AI's are both vacations but IMO that is the only thing they have in common unless we are talking about the Bermuda cruises which have a little more in common with an AI. To me this is like comparing a vacation to disneyland vs a vacation to NYC.

Since by the time I cruise with my grandchildren they will all be past the age of 2, so I guess this really doesn't affect my future plans. But nobody really could convince me that this larger price is logically valid but IMO is about the bottom line for NCL and they are a business so thats what business' do - make money where they can. And their direct competition appear to already be doing it, so it won't mean a loss of customers to their direct competition. It also IMO will only affect a small portion of their customers for a couple years since children eventually age past 2.

Very interesting. Some AI's include airfare but most don't though they offer it as an extra charge add on, so it is really not accurate to use that as part of your comparison.

AI vacation is all inclusive. Air included. That point is quite apparent during the discussion.

AI vacation is all inclusive. Air included. That point is quite apparent during the discussion.

Not necessarily true. Some AI's include air and some don't. There are many examples of either option.

There really is not a term AI vacation as AI pertains to resorts not a type of vacation.

John

That is not what all inclusive means. All inclusive means that your rooms, food, food and drinks and water sports (and in some resorts) golf is included at no extra charge.

Air is always extra unless there are specials in which they say they'll pay for your air, but in actuality what they do is give you a credit off the price of the booking for what they think air fare should cost.

i

Not necessarily true. Some AI's include air and some don't. There are many examples of either option.

There really is not a term AI vacation as AI pertains to resorts not a type of vacation.

John

I invite you to go back to page 1. Read the discussion re:airfare and the percentage of an AI vacation that represented the airfare that the 2 cc members agreed on. Then reply again.

In other words. The discussion in this case involved airfare in the AI as both posters are from the Toronto area where this is almost always the case when talking about an AI vacation. Both members noted airfare being part of the AI package.

That is not what all inclusive means. All inclusive means that your rooms, food, food and drinks and water sports (and in some resorts) golf is included at no extra charge.

Air is always extra unless there are specials in which they say they'll pay for your air, but in actuality what they do is give you a credit off the price of the booking for what they think air fare should cost.

i

Not where the 2 posters are from. They agreed that airfare was included in the AI vacation. Re-read page one for further clarification if interested.

as both posters are from the Toronto area where this is almost always the case when talking about an AI vacation. Both members noted airfare being part of the AI package.

The conversation may or may not have been companies offering AIs that included airfare. I won't dispute what the conversation was about, nor do I really care.

But I will disagree with one thing in this post alone. I've been to many AI "resorts" all commensing from Toronto and not one of the them included airfare. I also know people who have went to AI resorts and the company offering the vacation included the airfare or had it offered as an add on.

So I'm going to have to agree with John and Willysgrandma, that AI refers to the destination resort not the vacation even in Toronto.

The conversation may or may not have been companies offering AIs that included airfare. I won't dispute what the conversation was about, nor do I really care.

But I will disagree with one thing in this post alone. I've been to many AI "resorts" all commensing from Toronto and not one of the them included airfare. I also know people who have went to AI resorts and the company offering the vacation included the airfare or had it offered as an add on.

So I'm going to have to agree with John and Willysgrandma, that AI refers to the destination resort not the vacation even in Toronto.

Best rates by far and very, very popular from here. Local TA's and almost every book for Caribbean vacations and some European and others have them.

It is an extremely well known and well used way of vacationing from Toronto.

Again in context AI meant airfare. See page 1 if facts are important.

Best rates by far and very, very popular from here. Local TA's and almost every book for Caribbean vacations and some European and others have them.

It is an extremely well known and well used way of vacationing from Toronto.

Again in context AI meant airfare. See page 1 if facts are important.

As I said I was not disputing the context in which it was originally used, nor do I care. I was just disagreeing with the one line used in your post. That no that it (AI) wasn't "almost always" the case in Toronto. When I have asked for an AI, I have been asked if I wanted one with or without airfare.

But I will agree that it is getting more popular up here, to advertise "AI resorts" plus air as the ultimate "AI vacation". Which is probably where all this confusion has come from. And when I was replying to your post, I apologize because I did miss where you wrote "vacation" after it and that does seem to be the new buzz word attached to AIs that include airfare.

As I said I was not disputing the context in which it was originally used, nor do I care. I was just disagreeing with the one line used in your post. That no that it (AI) wasn't "almost always" the case in Toronto. When I have asked for an AI, I have been asked if I wanted one with or without airfare.

But I will agree that it is getting more popular up here, to advertise "AI resorts" plus air as the ultimate "AI vacation". Which is probably where all this confusion has come from. And when I was replying to your post, I apologize because I did miss where you wrote "vacation" after it and that does seem to be the new buzz word attached to AIs that include airfare.

Always a good idea to read the discussion prior to posting. This limits miscommunication.

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

From 'Free' to Fee: Norwegian Cruise Line Now Charges Passengers Under 2

The airlines brought in baggage fees and extra leg room fees one by one and now many if not most NA airlines have them. Seems like the same sort of thing happening here. Remind me, which cruiselines still offer under 2's port and taxes only fees.

I invite you to go back to page 1. Read the discussion re:airfare and the percentage of an AI vacation that represented the airfare that the 2 cc members agreed on. Then reply again.

In other words. The discussion in this case involved airfare in the AI as both posters are from the Toronto area where this is almost always the case when talking about an AI vacation. Both members noted airfare being part of the AI package.

Key phrase!

I stand by my post and do not feel the need to repost. Please re-read the second line of my post.

John

Key phrase!

I stand by my post and do not feel the need to repost. Re-read the second line of my post.

John

Ok that is your right. But again see how you bolded and colored 2 words to help you make your point but didn't show the first paragraph of my post that proves my point. Taking things out of context is what brings these discussions to where they end up.

The airlines brought in baggage fees and extra leg room fees one by one and now many if not most NA airlines have them. Seems like the same sort of thing happening here. Remind me, which cruiselines still offer under 2's port and taxes only fees.

I asked this at the bottom of page 2 trying to get this back on topic. Anyone?

This whole conversation has gone so far off course from the original post I am not sure whybthe mods haven't locked it.

Notice who the OP is? Also explains why it was not merged with other threads of the same topic. :rolleyes:

Archived