HELP!!! Caye Caulker questions

chelsea2005

Hello,

We're going on the Valor in a couple of weeks. In Belize, we're thinking of going to Caye Caulker on our own. I've been researching how to get there(gocayecaulker.com), but I can't figure out exactly what's there. How many bars/restaurants are there? Is it worth getting off the ship? I'm aware there is no beach.

Cave tubing and snorkeling(I'm snorkeled out!!) does not interest us. Should we just stay on the ship?

Anyone been to the Wet (or Lazy Lizard) on Caye Caulker??

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Chelsea

Hello,

We're going on the Valor in a couple of weeks. In Belize, we're thinking of going to Caye Caulker on our own. I've been researching how to get there(gocayecaulker.com), but I can't figure out exactly what's there. How many bars/restaurants are there? Is it worth getting off the ship? I'm aware there is no beach.

Cave tubing and snorkeling(I'm snorkeled out!!) does not interest us. Should we just stay on the ship?

Anyone been to the Wet (or Lazy Lizard) on Caye Caulker??

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Chelsea

Caye Caulker is very beautiful, however if you are looking for just a beach day, it may not be worth the effort to get there. It is a 40 min boat ride from the main port area. If you are doing it on your own, you will be taking the water taxi which is NOT located at the same pier you will be tendered into. You will need to make your way through Belize City to the water taxi pier. Coral Breeze does offer a boat service to Caye Caulker as part of the Shark/Stingray Alley tour and the boat leaves directly from the pier you tender into. The boat will drop off passengers who are just staying on the Caye before heading off for snorkeling and stingray/shark. They will then come back to pick you up. I'd take a look at them for transportation, their boats are covered as opposed to the water taxis which are not (the sun is very hot and strong here). Also, their may be a small price difference, but in the end it may be worth it.

The Wet Lizard is not on Caye Caulker, it is at the pier you tender into right in Belize. At this port there are quite a few stores and little restaurants all in a very contained area (gated and fenced off).

There is a bar and restaurant on Caye Caulker, keep in mind that the Caye is hardly developed at all. We had lunch as part of our Coral Breeze excursion, but it was buffet style so I can't comment on the quality of an individual meal.

There are only a few local stores on the Caye, all were closed the day we were there (on a Tuesday) so don't plan on shopping here.

If you are looking for a beach that you may have to yourself, this is the place. But, don't expect a lot of amenities, still very undeveloped.

I have a few pictures of the Caye if you would like for me to email them to you. My address is smdbelskis@prodigy.net

If you are looking for an amazing beach with tons of amenities that won't be crowded, and you are stopping on Grand Cayman, read my post about Rum Point under the Grand Cayman port threads. You will have a far more enjoyable and relaxing beach day at this location than Caye Caulker.

Don't get me wrong, the Caye is very beautiful, but don't expect a beach bar/hotel type of experience here.

Also, please keep in mind Belize is still very much a third world country. The cruise ship and others highly recommend that you do not explore on your own. There has been some news about uprising on the island, we were there at the end of April, but since we did not travel through Belize City we did not see any of it. Also, friends who took other excursions on the mainland did not see anything either, so I think the tour companies are taking extra precaution and also steering visitors away from trouble areas. I would recommend booking something through the cruise line if you are going to stay on the mainland. If you do go to Caye Caulker, you should be safe on the island. Just consider the method of transportation to there, to me, the slightly extra cost of Coral Breeze is worth the peace of mind of not traveling into Belize City on my own.

http://www.coralbreezelimited.com/

Michelle

I wonder if the Wet Lizard is fun?? Anyone out there that knows??!!!

Do you mean Wet Lizard at the port or Lazy Lizard on Caye Caulker?

Wet Lizard is not a wild as say Carlos and Charlies, but it is probably the most active place on the Belize pier.

Lazy Lizard, well, Caye Caulker is a very laid back island. There is music, but the bar is set back a little bit from the beach, so you are not sitting right on the beach. The crowd (maybe 20 people) was not very wild when we were there.

If you are looking for the Carlos and Charlies or Senior Frogs experience, save it for Cozumel.

Thanks for the responses. I know I'm definitely not interested in walking through Belize City to the water taxi!!

Hmmmm...I'm still thinking we probably won't get off the ship in Belize!

We were in Belize on 04 May 2005. We didn't really have anything planned so we tendered in to the pier. The directions into town said to go through the Wet Lizard ... and that's really about as far as we got. It's a nice little place upstairs above a diamond dealer (or somesuch) and is all open air, brightly painted, and very friendly. I was trying the different types of Belikin beer and we wound up having lunch there. The chips and salsa are a lot different from what I'd expected, the salsa being more of a fresh vegetable blend than what you might consider salsa from, say, Chili's. Quite a few of the folks from our ship wound up parking it there for the morning/early afternoon. My wife and I figured we'd just have to catch the rest of Belize another time.

If it comes to staying onboard or going ashore, I'd recommend heading for the Wet Lizard. We enjoyed it.

Last time we we in belize, we went to Lamanai. This time, we want some water action. How much are the snorkling tours they have at the pier? I saw several hawkers, but we were book and were looking for them. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Archived