Lunenburg/Mahone Bay

What's the best way to visit these towns with young kids without car seats? I read that there are car seat laws for kids under 40lbs. We wont have car seats. I know the Carnival ship offers one that we could probably take the kids on without them but I was trying to avoid the ship tour. We like to explore on our own without time restrictions. Any suggestions on private tours that might take us? Has anyone done the Carnival Glory tour also? Your feedback would be appreciated.

What's the best way to visit these towns with young kids without car seats? I read that there are car seat laws for kids under 40lbs. We wont have car seats. I know the Carnival ship offers one that we could probably take the kids on without them but I was trying to avoid the ship tour. We like to explore on our own without time restrictions. Any suggestions on private tours that might take us? Has anyone done the Carnival Glory tour also? Your feedback would be appreciated.

This was asked recently I checked with main Taxi Tour companies and they don't provide. Apparently a few did try when first law but found either the seat was too small for the child or visa versa. The law states it is responsibility of guardian or parent to provide the " booster" seats. Apparently some cruise ships have them for passengers to use?

The other alternative is renting they will deliver to Airport so I am sure the Cruise Dock.

http://www.tinytravellers.ca/products.php

There are a number of Taxi Tours from Cruiseport we did a couple of tours last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and they were excellent very knowledgeable and relaxing they customized the tours to suite our time frame and interests at no extra charge.

If you booked ahead they might pick up and drop off seats if was arranged etc- you could ask? Our guide was Richard number is 902-240-8476

Hope this helps and you have a great visit.

Here is the info for another post, if you check with individual car rentals you can run into same issues- some do some not see below for some tips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1680027

http://www.carrentalexpress.com/blog/dos-and-donts-about-car-rentals-and-car-seats

As you can see the issue of size, availability and whether recent model can be issue, probably better to rent yourselves then you know you have right one and safest model.

Good luck

I have to say that as a Canadian married to a Maritimer who grew up on the east coast...Mahone Bay and Lunenberg are two of my most favourite places! And the scallops and crab cakes...OMG! :p

Im not sure of the logistics of your cruise or how much time you have to spend there, (but now I'm curious ;)) so this may not be helpful at all. This is just my experience but after having been to both places, multiple times actually...we never used our car for sightseeing, waste of money in my opinion...we just walked everywhere! Lunenberg is hilly though, and the streets are narrow, but if you can use strollers and just take the time to wander...personally i think you would be fine without a car. Id be more interested in stroller rentals! (if thats even possible :confused: we had our own, and the car just stayed parked the whole time anyway)

Check out the Boardwalk...when we were there last we got to tour the Bluenose II...i believe Lunenberg is the home port. You can see it on the Canadian dime.

I would call the number given in the link above. I know there are exceptions in the legislation and taxis may be one of them.

There are no exceptions it is the law as stated below this from previous

post.

"....Nova Scotia law requires that children under 40 pounds be restrained in an approved child seat. Any child between 40 - 90 pounds or under 4 foot 6 inches be restrained in an approved child booster seat. Furnishing the seat, and buckling said seat into any vehicle is the responsibility of the parent or guardian accompanying the child......."

I have called the two main taxi offices and as stated above, they will certainly take parents/guardians and children without seats with warning they ( parent/guardian) are responsible if stopped and fined.

So it is upto the each individual parent or guardian to decide whether they are comfortable with this?

Archived