HAL suite V. Seabourn/Silversea large cabin

m steve

It seems like the prices for 400-600 sq. ft. suites on major ships such as HAl or X are about the same price as a regular sized cabin on the upscale lines. Which have you all found better?

This is an interesting question. Its never occurred to me, since we never take suites on HAL or the other mass-market lines anyway ;) .

But a few things to keep in mind... First, a "regular sized cabin" on Seabourn or Silversea is roughly 300 sq ft - so a lot bigger than a regular cabin on HAL. The difference in size between a suite on HAL and a standard "suite" (really large cabins, but they call them suites, and most HAL suites aren't true suites either) on a luxury line may not be so huge.

Secondly, the luxury lines' fares are a lot more inclusive than HAL's - drinks etc. are all included, so they're not nearly as high as they seem.

For those of us who book regular cabins on HAL, Seabourn or the like look incredibly expensive, but the price difference might not work out to be all that much if you usually take a suite on HAL.

Having sailed both HAL & Seabourn we like HAL but really Love Seabourn. The service on Searbourn is fantastic and it's great to have everything included. They both have a niche but rather than a suite on HAL I would go with standard room on Seabourn.

We have done S Suites and B Verandahs (also K, D, etc.) on HAL and have done one of the 300 sq. ft. cabins with shared balcony on Silver Shadow. What do we like best? Crystal. All 3 provide a good product and we have found the Crystal product fits us best. I think HAL has changed in the last 3 years and seems to be moving away from us. Having said that, on our Statendam Hawaii cruise earlier this year the service and food was spectacular. We did miss Crystal's Bistro sidewalk cafe and their excellent and reasonably priced wine list. If you do try Silversea, look for one of their 50% off deals which come up regularly. Our cost on Silversea (all inclusive) was less than what we typically pay for a similar size cabin on HAL or Crystal.

Gary

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, if I book a cabin on HAL or X in a suite @$4000/per for 10 days, Does it equal the same cost on the luxury ships?

Just the suite size and ammentities, not comparing food. :confused:

I have tried both and the regular suite on the Silversea costs less (when you count in the free drinks and no tipping) and is far more enjoyable than the S on HAL. Our next cruise is on HAL, though, because we are joining other people who are engaging less extensive quarters.

Archived