Crystal Caves & Pink Beaches

Missmypomswhencruising

We are going for a one day stop at Bermuda on Princess. None of the offered excursions really are what we want to do. The two places that we would like to see are the Crystal caves and also a pink sand beach.

Any suggestions on how i would be able to spend some time at both of these? Taxi maybe? where would i get a taxi? Is there a pink sand beach near the caves? etc... Any help is greatly appreciated.

ok, reading more into things on these boards, the ferry/bus sounds like the way to get around. and it appears horeseshoe beach is the best beach. So if i take the ferry to st george, which bus would i take to get to the caves, then from the caves, how would i get to the horseshoe beach (ferry/bus #)? Thanks!

ok, reading more into things on these boards, the ferry/bus sounds like the way to get around. and it appears horeseshoe beach is the best beach. So if i take the ferry to st george, which bus would i take to get to the caves, then from the caves, how would i get to the horseshoe beach (ferry/bus #)? Thanks!

As long as you are not visiting on the weekend, the ferry to St George is a good option. You could take to the caves: bus routes #1 & #3 have a bus stop near the caves; bus routes #10 & #11 will drop you in front of the Swizzle Inn which requires about ¼ mile walk to the caves.

To get to Horseshoe Bay from the caves, you could board an inbound route #1 or #3 bus and ride it to the hospital where you get off that bus and cross the street. You will then board an outbound #7 bus to HSB; or from the caves, you walk the ¼ mile to SI and board an inbound #10 or #11 bus which will take you to the Hamilton bus terminal where you will board the outbound #7 bus to HSB.

Of the 2 ways of getting to HSB, I would select the latter simply because the routes #10 & #11 run more frequently that the others.

Of course a taxi would be the best.

SBtS

About how long does it take, on the bus, to get from Horseshoe Bay Beach to the Caves/Swizzle Inn?

Also, about how long does it take to get from the caves to the dockyard by bus?

FYI, there is the new Swizzle Inn about a 10 minute bus ride from Horseshoe Bay. It is run by the same people that run the original SI near the caves. There is a map at the link provided that shows the location of each.

A little information about public buses. Hamilton is the hub for all bus routes, except for one route. A bus is either outbound from Hamilton or inbound to Hamilton.

Now to your first question, to get to the caves and/or the original SI from HSB requires 2 separate bus routes. An inbound route #7 bus will take you to Hamilton. Travel time is about 30-35 minutes. From Hamilton, bus routes #10 or #11, outbound, will get you to caves and/or the original SI. Travel time is about 30-35 minutes. Waiting times are not included; routes #7, #10 & #11 run every 15 minutes.

Second question. From the caves to the Dockyard by bus would be about 1 hour and 35 minutes. Broken down, 30-35 minute from the caves to Hamilton; 60 minutes from Hamilton to the Dockyard. Your best bet would be to take the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard; travel time by ferry would be about 20 minutes. Again, excludes waiting times.

SBtS

Sorry, I am a pest. I am looking at maps... would it be the #3 from caves to Ferry in Hamilton?

Yes you could take the route #3 bus from the caves to Hamilton but I thought you would be at the Swizzle Inn where you could take the route #10 or #11 bus to Hamilton. Routes #10 or #11 buses run more frequently than the #3 bus and their route is more direct therefore use less travel time.

If you need a good map, here is a printable map of Bermuda with bus and ferry routes.

Question - are having a problem reading my posts? Is the font too small?

SBtS

• 6 months later...
As long as you are not visiting on the weekend, the ferry to St George is a good option. You could take to the caves: bus routes #1 & #3 have a bus stop near the caves; bus routes #10 & #11 will drop you in front of the Swizzle Inn which requires about ¼ mile walk to the caves.

To get to Horseshoe Bay from the caves, you could board an inbound route #1 or #3 bus and ride it to the hospital where you get off that bus and cross the street. You will then board an outbound #7 bus to HSB; or from the caves, you walk the ¼ mile to SI and board an inbound #10 or #11 bus which will take you to the Hamilton bus terminal where you will board the outbound #7 bus to HSB.

Of the 2 ways of getting to HSB, I would select the latter simply because the routes #10 & #11 run more frequently that the others.

Of course a taxi would be the best.

SBtS

SBtS - great info you have posted so thanks - I have a couple of follow up questions:

We will be there on a Sunday and I know that it is a reduced schedule so I was thinking of forking over the money for a cab ride from the dock (we will be on Norweigen) to Caves and then another cab to HSB for the remainder of the day...are there any other options as I have heard the taxi rides are expensive (any idea how expensive? there will be 4 of us- 2 adults/2 children)..

Thanks so much!

Tammi

SBtS - great info you have posted so thanks - I have a couple of follow up questions:

We will be there on a Sunday and I know that it is a reduced schedule so I was thinking of forking over the money for a cab ride from the dock (we will be on Norweigen) to Caves and then another cab to HSB for the remainder of the day...are there any other options as I have heard the taxi rides are expensive (any idea how expensive? there will be 4 of us- 2 adults/2 children)..

Thanks so much!

Tammi

Here are my estimates for the fares. I have not included the Sunday fare surcharge of 50% :eek:.

• Dockyard to caves - $50.00
  • Caves to Horseshoe Bay - $30.00

To save a little money, you could take the Dockyard > Hamilton ferry and then take a taxi to the caves. Estimated fare is $22.00 but offset by purchasing tokens for the ferry, $4.00 each per adult. Children under 5 ride free.

Not included is getting back to the cruise ship from HSB. Options would be taxi or bus. Bus takes token or exact change.

The only other option I can think of is to hire a "blue flag" taxi for a tour and hire it for 5 or 6 hours. Cost is $40.00/hour, but you can do and see much more of Bermuda this way; and you won't have to worry about getting back to the cruise ship. I do not believe there is a surcharge on Sunday taxi tours.

SBtS

Here are my estimates for the fares. I have not included the Sunday fare surcharge of 50% :eek:.

• Dockyard to caves - $50.00
  • Caves to Horseshoe Bay - $30.00

To save a little money, you could take the Dockyard > Hamilton ferry and then take a taxi to the caves. Estimated fare is $22.00 but offset by purchasing tokens for the ferry, $4.00 each per adult. Children under 5 ride free.

Not included is getting back to the cruise ship from HSB. Options would be taxi or bus. Bus takes token or exact change.

The only other option I can think of is to hire a "blue flag" taxi for a tour and hire it for 5 or 6 hours. Cost is $40.00/hour, but you can do and see much more of Bermuda this way; and you won't have to worry about getting back to the cruise ship. I do not believe there is a surcharge on Sunday taxi tours.

SBtS

Thanks so much for the info - lots to think about!

Thank you! Not sure if we'd do SI or the Caves first but we want to do both that day.

Font is good for me, no trouble at all. Thanks!

I recommend doing the caves first because only so many can go in the caves at a time which means the lines and wait get longer as the day gets on.

We are going for a one day stop at Bermuda on Princess. None of the offered excursions really are what we want to do. The two places that we would like to see are the Crystal caves and also a pink sand beach.

Any suggestions on how i would be able to spend some time at both of these? Taxi maybe? where would i get a taxi? Is there a pink sand beach near the caves? etc... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, there is a pink sand beach near the caves. John Smiths Bay. It is a very nice beach and it does not get crowded. Another plus is that there are lifeguards. The negative is primitive facilities. Porta Potty type. Also no chair or umbrella rentals.

Archived