Rental car in Juneau & Skagway

puggal

We rented a car in Skagway from Avis. It is at 3rd street and Spring. It is about a 15 minute walk from the cruise ship dock. If you rent in Skagway you will want a copy of Murray's Guide for the Klondike Highway. You can download it for $5.00. It's a great guide with all the points of interest. We used it and found it to be invaluable.

We rented a car in Skagway from Avis. It is at 3rd street and Spring. It is about a 15 minute walk from the cruise ship dock. If you rent in Skagway you will want a copy of Murray's Guide for the Klondike Highway. You can download it for $5.00. It's a great guide with all the points of interest. We used it and found it to be invaluable.

Bells Guide is very sinilar and is free!

It depends on which dock. In Juneau, the AJ dock is quite a distance from town. There is a little "shed" at the end of the walkway at AJ dock that houses Alamo car rental. Some other cruisers from other ships/docks said that Alamo picked them up and dropped them off at their ship when renting . We were on Star Princess, so we just walked over, very convienent.

There is a very limited # of cars available from Avis in Skagway. I'd reserve one in advance as the chances of doing a walk up and getting one are slim. The drive into teh Yukon is greta and the rental car is very cost effective if you have several people.

Bells Guide is very sinilar and is free!

I'd never heard of this one, so I Googled it. Similar, perhaps, but nowhere near the same. You get what you pay for, and Murray's Guide is definitely worth the $5. I loaded it onto my Kindle so it didn't cost me any extra to print.

We rented from National in Juneau and were very pleased. They are within walking distance depending on where your ship docks, but we were docked quite a distance away so they happily sent someone to pick up my husband who picked up our van and then returned to pick up the rest of us. I would use them again when we return to Juneau.

We rented from National in Juneau and were very pleased. They are within walking distance depending on where your ship docks, but we were docked quite a distance away so they happily sent someone to pick up my husband who picked up our van and then returned to pick up the rest of us. I would use them again when we return to Juneau.

National and Alamo are the same at this location. They are only there during cruise months. It's very convenient. As another poster said, make sure you reserve ahead of time because there are only a very few cars there. When we picked ours up in June there may have only been three or four cars left in their parking lot. I think they probably only bring the cars in that are reserved from their airport location which is about ten miles out.

We called them when we got off the ship and they sent a driver to pick us up although we could have walked if necessary.

We rented from Avis in Skagway. It's a pleasant walk of ten minutes or so. I've heard they run out of cars too. You probably won't get one if it's not reserved ahead of time. Also, there can be quite a line waiting when you get to the small agency. I was third in line and still had to wait 15 minutes because they only had two persons working the desk. Plus, customers tend to get to the desk and ask all kinds of touring questions which takes time. When I left there were probably ten people in line behind me and I'm sure some of them probably had to wait as long as 45 minutes just to pick up their car. So, factor a little wait for your car into your day unless you are there early. We got there about 9:15.

We were very pleased with both agencies and were so glad we rented a car.

We rented from Sourdough in Skagway and were happy with the car and the fee, $85.

They are a family owned company so it's low key. The car was clean and in good repair and comfortable. They do not include a map, just a written itinerary. Stop at the visitor's centre on the walk there for a map.

They run the office out of a vintage photo place ; -)

Archived