Just back from the Crown to Bermuda

Bepday93

Looking forward to your review as well. We are sailing the Crown October 2nd from Philadelphia in an AB suite. We sailed the Sun for Easter and had a great time but thought we would give it a try close to home and see how it is. We booked the AB mainly to have the balcony. Would love to hear all pros and cons. Thanks!

Royal Carribean '01

Holland America' '02

Holland America '03

Holland America '04

Norwegain Sun '05

Norwegian Crown '05

Princess '06

Looking forward to your review as well. We are sailing the Crown October 2nd from Philadelphia in an AB suite. We sailed the Sun for Easter and had a great time but thought we would give it a try close to home and see how it is. We booked the AB mainly to have the balcony. Would love to hear all pros and cons. Thanks!

Royal Carribean '01

Holland America' '02

Holland America '03

Holland America '04

Norwegain Sun '05

Norwegian Crown '05

Princess '06

The review is already posted!!!! You will or should I say you should enjoy your cruise!!!!:)

What is the cabin size on the Crown, not as small as the Majesty I hope?

Actually, the Crown is smaller than the Majesty. In fact, the Crown is the smallest ship in NCL's fleet -- but still very nice in its own way.

Just back from a 6-day cruise on the Crown to Bermuda. We had a great time. The food was good, the staff friendly and the island beautiful.

Cabins on the Crown are definitely bigger than on other NCL ships I've been on and there's tons of storage space even in the 4000 level cabins.

Second year in a row I've done this cruise and had a great time on each one.

Dan

Guest kenf1111

Hi.. We are anxiously awaiting your review and any others who want to give us some if ands or buts... My wife and I are going on our first cruise ever to bermuda aboard the Crown. I am quite apprehensive... Ive read a few mixed reviews... Some good and some bad.. good service... small ship.... We booked cabin 9005 on Riviera Deck Ctg. AD..

Any advice/ suggestions// etc.. would greatly be appreciated.... I need reassurance that Ive done the right/ or wrong thing....

My wife is thrilled that we are going to bermuda for first time... We booked thru Cruise Deals.com and the rep was quite helpful... We opted to buy the insurance coverage for under $200. I hope that was the right thing to do... does that mean I can cancel if I get sick etc..

a cautious excited newbie.........:o

Ken

Hi.. We are anxiously awaiting your review and any others who want to give us some if ands or buts... My wife and I are going on our first cruise ever to bermuda aboard the Crown. I am quite apprehensive... Ive read a few mixed reviews... Some good and some bad.. good service... small ship.... We booked cabin 9005 on Riviera Deck Ctg. AD..

Any advice/ suggestions// etc.. would greatly be appreciated.... I need reassurance that Ive done the right/ or wrong thing....

My wife is thrilled that we are going to bermuda for first time... We booked thru Cruise Deals.com and the rep was quite helpful... We opted to buy the insurance coverage for under $200. I hope that was the right thing to do... does that mean I can cancel if I get sick etc..

Ken

The review is already posted. It is about 3 0r 4 pages in by now. I posted it around May 16th. Nice ship, you should enjoy!!!

Ken

AD cabin on the Crown is very spacious. I don't remember if it has a balcony or not (probably not) but if it doesn't then there's a huge picture window. Looks to be a very comfortable cabin. You should receive some kind of treats just about every evening (chocolate covered strawberries, canapes, other stuff). Concierge service can be helpful too (getting reservations to the specialty restaurant, priority disembarkation, help getting excursions).

Not the newest of ships and not a lot of fancy stuff, but the crew is the friendliest I've met on an NCL ship and the food in the main restaurant is very good. Service there is deliberately measured, but if you're in a hurry let the wait staff know and they'll try to speed things up for you.

We did the east end snorkeling excursion while in St. Georges and enjoyed it. Saw lots of fish and plenty of beautiful fan shaped purple coral. Well worth the cost (about $50 if I remember correctly).

Tends to be an older crowd on the Crown, but I've only cruised her while school was in session (a preference of mine).

Bermuda is a lovely island. If you want an easy day exploring look at getting an all day bus/ferry pass and ride the ferries and buses around the island. A nice trip is taking the slow ferry to Kings Wharf and riding the bus back stopping at different spots (such as the world's smallest drawbridge). You can get a nice helpful map from the information desk in Hamilton as you leave the ship (can probably find the same map somewhere in St. Georges too).

Internet cafes are near the ship's mooring areas and run about $6 for a half hour's time. There's a nice drugstore in St Georges that sells sun glasses, souveniers, chocolate and other stuff.

Weather was hot and sunny, water temperature about 75 degrees. Should be warmer for your cruise so bring sunscreen and be prepared for it to be hot.

Port days can be nice days for taking advantage of the ship's amenities. We enjoyed a two for one 50 minute massage package (2 massages) for a total of $102 by scheduling the spa time in Hamilton and ended our night by enjoying the ship's hot tubs from about 10 to nearly 11 p.m.

I personally like the top of the crown for a drink, but there's another comfortable bar down by the Internet cafe.

Dan

Sorry to disagree - no treats in an AD cabin and no balcony - balconies only AB and AA cabins - but AD IS quite spacious - my mother, sister and I were in an AC last year - which was plenty of room for us. Just returned from the 6 day May 15 cruise out of Philly with my husband - we were in an Owner's Suite - and were thrilled with the cruise overall - food was good - excellent service - and nice refurbishment of areas during the 2 week down time she had - we've already started talking about doing it again next year.

Guest kenf1111
AD cabin on the Crown is very spacious. I don't remember if it has a balcony or not (probably not) but if it doesn't then there's a huge picture window. Looks to be a very comfortable cabin. You should receive some kind of treats just about every evening (chocolate covered strawberries, canapes, other stuff). Concierge service can be helpful too (getting reservations to the specialty restaurant, priority disembarkation, help getting excursions).

Not the newest of ships and not a lot of fancy stuff, but the crew is the friendliest I've met on an NCL ship and the food in the main restaurant is very good. Service there is deliberately measured, but if you're in a hurry let the wait staff know and they'll try to speed things up for you.

We did the east end snorkeling excursion while in St. Georges and enjoyed it. Saw lots of fish and plenty of beautiful fan shaped purple coral. Well worth the cost (about $50 if I remember correctly).

Tends to be an older crowd on the Crown, but I've only cruised her while school was in session (a preference of mine).

Bermuda is a lovely island. If you want an easy day exploring look at getting an all day bus/ferry pass and ride the ferries and buses around the island. A nice trip is taking the slow ferry to Kings Wharf and riding the bus back stopping at different spots (such as the world's smallest drawbridge). You can get a nice helpful map from the information desk in Hamilton as you leave the ship (can probably find the same map somewhere in St. Georges too).

Internet cafes are near the ship's mooring areas and run about $6 for a half hour's time. There's a nice drugstore in St Georges that sells sun glasses, souveniers, chocolate and other stuff.

Weather was hot and sunny, water temperature about 75 degrees. Should be warmer for your cruise so bring sunscreen and be prepared for it to be hot.

Port days can be nice days for taking advantage of the ship's amenities. We enjoyed a two for one 50 minute massage package (2 massages) for a total of $102 by scheduling the spa time in Hamilton and ended our night by enjoying the ship's hot tubs from about 10 to nearly 11 p.m.

I personally like the top of the crown for a drink, but there's another comfortable bar down by the Internet cafe.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you so much for your insightful thoughtful post. We are going to use your tips and comments to set up our activities

A couple of questions if you dont mind.. Do those sea bands work to ward off seasickness? or is dramamine more appropriate in pill or patch form?

I took a look at your webpage. Great job and your photos are beautiful! Are you going to be posting any photos from your cruise on NC Crown to the bermuda on the soon?

Thanks again

Ken

My wife,Jane & I were on the Crown approximately 10 years ago when Ncl leased the Crown. The ship was real nice. They had a midnight buffet at 11pm. We will be gong on the crown to Bermuda on 9-11-05 out of NY. On 10-9-05 we will be going back to Bermuda out of Phila.Pa. for our 52nd cruise

Dan,

Thank you so much for your insightful thoughtful post. We are going to use your tips and comments to set up our activities

A couple of questions if you dont mind.. Do those sea bands work to ward off seasickness? or is dramamine more appropriate in pill or patch form?

I took a look at your webpage. Great job and your photos are beautiful! Are you going to be posting any photos from your cruise on NC Crown to the bermuda on the soon?

Thanks again

Ken

Hi Ken,

thanks for the nice comments on my web page. I'm a little too busy to work on it right now, but hopefully I'll find time again someday. My life's a little complicated at the moment since I'm living and working in Arizona, but my home (with my wife, cats and the computer I maintain the web site from back in NJ) .

The other things is that most of the photos I shot were for a story I'm doing for a hydroponics magazine I write for, so there may not be that many scenic photos anyway. If I can find time I'll create a gallery at pbase.com where I have several other galleries (my web site links there too).

Regarding the sea sickness prevention question I can only say that I've tried Meclazine and Dramamine with good results from each. I've never used the patch or the bands, so have no personal experience with them. I found Meclazine to be very effective even if I waited until after the onset of symptoms.

Dan

Rmdragwa. A bunch of my family and friends will be on the Crown on oct 9th leaving from Philly. We started a roll call. What floor will you be staying on, and how many will be in your party?

My husband and I so far but we are talking to a few more couples. We are staying in cabin 4079

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to take a cruise as a wedding anniversary present for my wife and I (it's a surprise for her). I've been looking for solid reviews on the Crown because I'm planning to take it Oct 2nd from Philly to Bermuda. I've been to the island my self but many, many years ago and wanted my wife's experience to be fantastic. I was beginning to wonder about the Crown (many bad reviews) until I read some of the reviews here and began to feel ok about my choice again. Has anyone tried any of the Romantic packages aboard ship and also what are the shore packages like (should I book them or do my own thing)? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I want to make this trip really special.

thanks

Archived