NCL New Kids Club on the Gem - questions!!

Huxley'sCruisers

We'll be sailing on the Gem in November and I think they have Nickelodeon on board - is that right? My daughter is OBSESSED with Dora right now, but is also really afraid of all costumed characters (as in a giant Dora might freak her out, although maybe she loves Dora so much she'll get over it). Can anyone tell me more about the "character breakfast"? I assume there is an extra cost, is it worth it? Can you take your own photos or only "ship" photos? Are there any other events we shouldn't miss?

Also, is it right that we can drop our daughter off in the morning on sea days but are expected to pick her up for lunch and dinner? I'm fine with that as she's still napping, so I'd like to get her for lunch and a nap, and then maybe some swimming time with the family, and send her back after she has an early dinner for a little while if she wants (so us grownups can have a nice quiet dinner without her), but since she'll only be 3 I'm wondering if there are a lot of little kids who stay in the club into the evening? Her normal bedtime is 7, but schedules tend to fly out the window on vacation!

I think we're planning to take her with us in all the ports, but it is nice that "port play" is now complimentary except for mealtimes, in case we want to use it.

And does anyone have an update on the "new" Splash Academy offerings for babies (with parents)? The "Under 2 Zoo" on the Dawn 2 years ago was very underwhelming... a small meeting room with a few toys tossed in, only open a few hours in the mornings. Our second daughter will be just 6 months, so not up for much but it'd be nice to have some art projects or music or something to do with her once or twice. I am not holding my breath that there will be a drop-off sitting service for under 3s as of November (which is why we're bringing not one, but 2 grandmas along with us!)

Archived