Steakhouse CHEESECAKE... what's the deal?

Tom-n-Cheryl

After many dozen cruises with Carnival, I finally broke down and tried the cheesecake at the specialty coffee/dessert place on the Sensation (Joe's Cafe as I recall). I was somewhat skeptical, as I had tried the HUGE portion of cheesecake that they serve in the Steakhouse 3-4 times and was not impressed with it taste wise. The one in the Steakhouse, IMHO, is all show and no go -- too light a cheesecake for my taste. Sure it's LOOKS impressive, but that's it!

Now, the one at Joe's -- that was another matter. That was a dense heavy creamy cheesecake... RIGHT ON!! :)

WHY do they continue to serve the pseudo cheesecake (again, IMO) in the Steakhouse, when the real deal can be had for a couple of bucks downstairs??

You would think that crème de la crème version would be served there!! :confused:

Is it just me??

Tom

Of course, now I will need to pick up a cheesecake at the local bakery.

I only ordered the trio on board once, and was swiped by my offspring. I was too full anyway, but did pick at whatever it was that she ordered.

You owe me $11.80. :D

We are originally from NYC and love a heavy creamcheese cheese cake and usually cannot find it on Carnival.

On the Glory in April the cheesecake looked real good but think we had the same tasteless one you did.

Didnt know you could get the good stuff at the coffee shop.

There are two distinct kinds of "real" cheesecake.

One (the dense kind - often referred to as "New York style"), is basically cream cheese, eggs, and sugar.

The other is made by separating the eggs, whipping the egg whites, folding in whipping cream, then folding in the cream cheese and sugar. It's a much less dense, fluffy kind of cheesecake. From my taste of the one in the steakhouse, that is the kind of cheesecake it is. It's actually much more difficult to make and I have found that when I used to make it, people were always surprised by it and would remark how much they enjoyed it because it has a much lighter texture and you could enjoy a full piece (whereas a lot of people find the NY style too rich and heavy and can only each a little bit).

I think it just goes by which you personally prefer. Both are good, they are just very different.

BTW, I don't consider gelatin based anything "cheesecake".

My son loved the cheesecake in the steakhouse. I didn't try it but it did look good. I'm pretty picky on cheesecake, I really only like NY cheesecake. Ever since I had a "real" piece on a trip there, I rarely find any other cheesecake to be worth the calories :D

One (the dense kind - often referred to as "New York style"), is basically cream cheese, eggs, and sugar.

The other is made by separating the eggs, whipping the egg whites, folding in whipping cream, then folding in the cream cheese and sugar. It's a much less dense, fluffy kind of cheesecake. From my taste of the one in the steakhouse, that is the kind of cheesecake it is. It's actually much more difficult to make and I have found that when I used to make it, people were always surprised by it and would remark how much they enjoyed it because it has a much lighter texture and you could enjoy a full piece (whereas a lot of people find the NY style too rich and heavy and can only each a little bit).

I think it just goes by which you personally prefer. Both are good, they are just very different.

DW and I would almost always share the cheesecake. NY diners are famous for it.

Ever since my dear friend sent me a cheesecake from Juniors to show off her NY culture, and I sent her steaks from Omaha steaks so show off my Nebraska culture. I cannot eat a cheesecake unless it's NY style, and truthfully never had one that was as good as Juniors.

This is why I stick to the Chocolate sampler in the Steak house :D

Carole

It isn't exactly what I'd call "New York" cheesecake, but we both thought the taste of it was indeed something special and rather unique. The key lime "cheese cake" served at the buffet wasn't exactly "New York" style either. I thought all were very good!

Ever since my dear friend sent me a cheesecake from Juniors to show off her NY culture, and I sent her steaks from Omaha steaks so show off my Nebraska culture. I cannot eat a cheesecake unless it's NY style, and truthfully never had one that was as good as Juniors.

This is why I stick to the Chocolate sampler in the Steak house :D

Carole

Juniors!!!!!!!!!!

... and to think that I only figured you'd be handy for views on Meatloaf!! :D

Yes, my preferred version of cheesecake is the kind that immediately raises your LDL number... :eek:

Tom

I can't stand the gelatinous or light & fluffy types of cheesecake, I ONLY like the dense, heavy RICH NY style cheesecakes.

We have only eaten at a CCL steakhouse once & it was last Sept on the Miracle.

The cheesecake was excellent & if I had the nerve I would have asked to take it with me, it was that good & I was sooooo full!!

It sounds like we got lucky:D

I agree. If it isn't NY it probably isn't worth the calories. Although Cheesecake factory does have some incredible ones. Lemon raspberry, yum!

YES!! Cheesecake Factory - YUM!! Their low carb cheesecake is very good too. They replace the sugar with Splenda and you can not tell the difference.

YES!! Cheesecake Factory - YUM!! Their low carb cheesecake is very good too. They replace the sugar with Splenda and you can not tell the difference.

I am not a fan of "added sugar" (or honey, nectar, HFCS, etc...), but did sample a few tasty bites this last sailing. I might have to look at the "low carb" version you are talking about. I don't mind the fat! :eek:

Tom

You would think that crème de la crème version would be served there!!

On that note, why do they serve the same crappy coffee from the dining room/lido deck? We dined there twice last week on the Magic and on the second night the coffee was old so when the DW put creamer in it turned greyish black, not creamy brown. We told the server and she immediately made a fresh coffee from the espresso bar and replaced mine, which I drink black, as well. Why not just serve the good stuff by default in the steakhouse? :confused:

As a N'Yawker, I find the Cheesecake Factory product unsatisfying. Don't care how high they pile the whipped cream on.

After many dozen cruises with Carnival, I finally broke down and tried the cheesecake at the specialty coffee/dessert place on the Sensation (Joe's Cafe as I recall). I was somewhat skeptical, as I had tried the HUGE portion of cheesecake that they serve in the Steakhouse 3-4 times and was not impressed with it taste wise. The one in the Steakhouse, IMHO, is all show and no go -- too light a cheesecake for my taste. Sure it's LOOKS impressive, but that's it!

Now, the one at Joe's -- that was another matter. That was a dense heavy creamy cheesecake... RIGHT ON!! :)

WHY do they continue to serve the pseudo cheesecake (again, IMO) in the Steakhouse, when the real deal can be had for a couple of bucks downstairs??

You would think that crème de la crème version would be served there!! :confused:

Is it just me??

Tom

No, it;s not just you---lol

I agree with everything you said :)

Gotta agree with Tom n Cheryl.....after steakhouse dinner on the Miracle, we were all 'full' so took the c'cake back to the cabin for later. Took one bite and put it out in the hall for room service pick-up. But it sure did LOOK delicious.

Archived