Flight check in times for Barbados

uncle charley

We are obviously on the same flight and have said the same thing! We have now booked a hotel nearby so we don't have to get up quite so early! I would imagine if you prebook your seats 12 weeks before you go, you may not have to get there quite so early, but security etc takes so long these days, its probably better to be safe than sorry! See you on board!

Hi

Does any one know why you now have to check in at Gatwick 4 hours before the flight time to go to Barbados. We are travelling on the 7th Februay 2013. In the past we had to check in 3 hours before.

Can I ask where you heard that? I have not been notified of this.

We have a long trip up to London from Cornwall and always stay over night now at a hotel within the airport which we choose to do by train. We have found that this works well for us in that we are 'onsite' with no worries of getting to airport on the day of flight, we have worked out the added costs of transport from hotels to airport on the day of flight and in many cases has made it more expensive than paying for an airport hotel in the first place, but the best thing has been that for the last 3 years we have been able to check our luggage in the night before :D so I am hoping this will be the case in January. Our flight is at 9.30am so if we can check our bags in the night before we will go through passport control and onto the new Jamie Oliver eatery, looking forward to it already!:D

We have a long trip up to London from Cornwall and always stay over night now at a hotel within the airport which we choose to do by train. We have found that this works well for us in that we are 'onsite' with no worries of getting to airport on the day of flight, we have worked out the added costs of transport from hotels to airport on the day of flight and in many cases has made it more expensive than paying for an airport hotel in the first place, but the best thing has been that for the last 3 years we have been able to check our luggage in the night before :D so I am hoping this will be the case in January. Our flight is at 9.30am so if we can check our bags in the night before we will go through passport control and onto the new Jamie Oliver eatery, looking forward to it already!:D

We received our flight notification via email the other week, I think if you look on your cruise personaliser it may well tell you on there too :)

Hi

We are going on Azura on 21st. Feb. flying from Gatwick and arriving by train on 20th Feb. Hotel near airport. Can you tell me how you do the "bag drop" check in.

Thank you

Martyn

If anybody is on the flight from Manchester and thinking about staying at the airport - Travelodge have released a special offer today of £12 for a room!!! Just booked mine - I'm not going to ask anybody to run me to the airport in the early hours when I can stay over for that price. I'll book a taxi through the hotel for the early pick up, and get the extra hour in bed rather than on the motorway.

Just checked and the offer is also on for Gatwick!!!

Don't know how long the offer is on for, but if you are thinking of it, go for it now! :D:D:D

the best thing has been that for the last 3 years we have been able to check our luggage in the night before :D so I am hoping this will be the case in January.:D

Just had the same thought myself, so checked the Thomson website (don't know if that's who you are flying with) and they say

"Q: I’m flying with Thomson Airways on a flight to join a P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Fred. Olsen Cruises Lines, Ocean Village cruise line; can I still take advantage of Day Before Check-In?

A: Unfortunately not. Cruise lines have a different check-in procedure which does not lend itself to Day Before Check-In, and this facility can not be offered to customers travelling to join a cruise line that is not operated by Thomson or First Choice."

Don't know if they have changed this recently . . . . . :rolleyes:

Just had the same thought myself, so checked the Thomson website (don't know if that's who you are flying with) and they say

"Q: I’m flying with Thomson Airways on a flight to join a P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Fred. Olsen Cruises Lines, Ocean Village cruise line; can I still take advantage of Day Before Check-In?

A: Unfortunately not. Cruise lines have a different check-in procedure which does not lend itself to Day Before Check-In, and this facility can not be offered to customers travelling to join a cruise line that is not operated by Thomson or First Choice."

Don't know if they have changed this recently . . . . . :rolleyes:

Hello

Jean, thats why I asked Scareyness the question above, as we have never been able to do a "bag drop" the night before with a cruise. It would be great to get off the train at Gatwick station check in the bags and then go to the travelodge and only have to return early morning with your boarding cards. Hopefully I will get a reply from Scareyness.

PS thanks for replying to my roll call, only reply so far.

Martyn

Thomson website also says this

"Q: If I’m flying with Thomson Airways to join Thomson cruises, can I use Day Before Check-in?

A: Yes, just follow the normal procedure, with the exception of the following: If you’re flying out to join a Thomson Cruise in Barbados or Sharm El Sheikh we’re really sorry, but due to baggage and medical screening requirements, this service isn’t available."

Have you booked your hotel? Did you see about the special offer of £12? Bargain!!! :cool::cool:

Really looking forward to this holiday and celebrating my birthday on board :))

Edited by eratog2

Hi

We are going on Azura on 21st. Feb. flying from Gatwick and arriving by train on 20th Feb. Hotel near airport. Can you tell me how you do the "bag drop" check in.

Thank you

Martyn

Hi

We have done a bag drop 3 times now and it's great!

Due to a long journey to London once we are at the airport hotel it's wine

and nibbles, shower and dependant on bag drop opening times we either drop bags and have dinner or dinner and then bag drop. We then have the rest of the evening to chill out and relax. Obviously next day we do not have to be up quite so early so we just have security to deal with and then a leisurely breakfast.

Each time we have done this has been when flying with BA and I am very happy to be flying with them again in January and hope that we will be able to do the early drop again! It's fab!:D

Sorry forgot to mention, we have only ever done this when staying at a hotel within Gatwick or Heathrow airport, the additional cost in getting to and from the airport would mean we wouldn't bother.

We worked out the cost once before, a stay at Travelodge was going to be £78 and a friend who had done this before told me her taxi cost £23 on day of flight! and we paid £92 for a night at the Soffitel so sums done there was no comparison and totally stress free!

We are happy to pay a little more for the hotel in airport as our circumstances are such that it is the best way to start a stress free holiday!

If anybody is on the flight from Manchester and thinking about staying at the airport - Travelodge have released a special offer today of £12 for a room!!! Just booked mine - I'm not going to ask anybody to run me to the airport in the early hours when I can stay over for that price. I'll book a taxi through the hotel for the early pick up, and get the extra hour in bed rather than on the motorway.

Just checked and the offer is also on for Gatwick!!!

Don't know how long the offer is on for, but if you are thinking of it, go for it now! :D:D:D

We usually stay at the travelodge when flying from Manchester, dont need to book a taxi they operate a shuttle bus to the terminal about £5 each pax, just book at reception when checking in. There is also a decent pub within walking distance of the travelodge called the Romper about 400yards with decent inexpensive evening meals once again just ask at reception for directions or google map it.

• 1 year later...

If you are on a P&O charter flight - Thomas Cook or Thomson - you cannot check in bags the night before or do a bag drop. The advantage of being on a charter is that the luggage is bonded - everyone on the plane is on the P&O cruise so your luggage gets taken straight to the ship. On arrival at Bridgetown you just walk down the steps of the aircraft onto the buses and straight to the ship - you don't go into the airport at all, no immigration, nothing.

However, if you are on a BA flight then there will be people on the flight not on the cruise. On arrival at Bridgetown you will have to go through immigration and collect your luggage and take it to the bus - it will then be taken to the ship and to your cabin.

We much prefer the charter flight - and if it's a Thomson flight it's usually good.

As far as check-in is concerned, in March we were told 4 hours. We treated ourselves to one of the airport lounges which is excellent. I'd rather be spending time at the airport than stuck in a traffic jam on the way there - always a possibility!

Agree with Annie. It is well worth the little extra to book an airport lounge, they are nice and peaceful with free food and drinks:).

If you get to check in as it opens you will be through before it gets too busy and then you can relax.

Molly

Regarding 4 hour check in. P and O website says checkin opens 4 hours before flight and that there is a health questionnaire to fill in , so that will delay the process no doubt, especially when you multiply by number of passengers on multi planes

Ian

Edited by Huddy Newby
Addition