Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Robin

Here is a pic of the front part of the Haven with an umbrella. They may only be for port days but at least they have them.

e376349ab1a011e2b74c22000a9f1427_7.jpg

Thanks so much Shaun! Good to know! I saw there were also some clamshells, and they would be perfect - cuz hubby and daughter could use them with shade down, and then when I come up for "relief duty" I could put the shade up ;). For the umbrella, I would rarely sit out there longer than an hour, so wouldn't tie one up all day, but think they would probably be in use when I need them.. Maybe they keep some in reserve - or I could bring up my own - lol you know I have one, along with beach chairs, for Bermuda lol.... I love driving to port!

Robin

Okay' date=' so we have exhausted the soda, pop topic.

What about grinder, submarine or hoagie?

Western MA - Grinder.[/quote']

No no no it's a sub!

And don't even get me started on bennys...

Okay' date=' so we have exhausted the soda, pop topic.

What about grinder, submarine or hoagie?

Western MA - Grinder.[/quote']

Here it's a sub...often washed down with pop! ;)

Where do you live ibcnu?

Robin

Barnegat Bay, across from Island Beach State Park. :)

Grew up in North Jersey, moved "down the shore" to raise kids, still commuting to my North Jersey job.

Yup. Not a big deal. The thing people don't realize, I think, is just how expensive the Haven suites can be. On our sailing, it was over $10,000 for two people. So yeah, there is a bit of expectation that certain things should be included at that price. I agree, when a balcony costs almost $5000 for two, it sure feels expensive, but with the Haven suites at twice that price, it gets to REALLY feeling expensive, so it's all relative. We will see how this Vibe thing works out, perhaps there is no longer much reason to pay double for the Haven, just book an M6 and spend the cash elsewhere...

Robin

I think most people do realize how expensive the Haven and up are, but that is where I don't understand sailing on NCL anymore. If you want luxury accommodations, why not move to a luxury cruise line?

I also don't understand devoting quite a bit of the ship (private areas and not rooms) to a small number of guests, even at extremely inflated prices. You are given a very nice room, private dining, extra service, a private pool, a private deck. Why another private deck?

I love the haven and I am very happy that it has 2 levels so if kids want to splash and have fun in the pool it really wont affect me too much. Maybe I am missing something but aside from the cabanas (which has to be paid for) I fail to see what the draw is. What does Vibe have that the haven does not?

precisely. From a business perspective I just see lost revenue. Are people going to quit cruising suites over it? I doubt it.

Plus there is one important fact, it seems like we are basing all of this Vibe talk on hearsay and we don't know the facts yet.

Not so sure I agree with that. I paid over $1,000 for my daughter's sweet 16 cake, and it looked and tasted delicious. Definitely not that sugary sweet junk. If I had to "peel off" anything, there would have been a problem :) Now the crumb cake - yes, I agree. Sinfully delicious!

Ok, after reading many of these crumb cake threads I realized I don't know crumb cake so i googled it. Is it the same as coffee cake? They look the same to me.

I think most people do realize how expensive the Haven and up are, but that is where I don't understand sailing on NCL anymore. If you want luxury accommodations, why not move to a luxury cruise line?

I also don't understand devoting quite a bit of the ship (private areas and not rooms) to a small number of guests, even at extremely inflated prices. You are given a very nice room, private dining, extra service, a private pool, a private deck. Why another private deck?

I completely agree with you on most counts, I'm just wary of where it may go from here.. The Epic used to have a Haven only Sundeck, but they opened it to everyone after a while, so that left only Posh and inside the Haven, which looks nice but is a huge waste of space to me -extremely hot, very noisy, like being in a crowded greenhouse.. The Epic had a much bigger adult Spice H20 space, the Breakaway's is greatly downsized, forcing people to pay extra for more space. It seems like all outdoor space is reduced on the Breakaway, not just the Haven space - hoping the Waterfront takes up some of the overflow, but I think it will be close everywhere on the ship, with less people even able to sit on their own balconies.

As to why I sail NCL, I love the informality.. Haven't found a luxury line yet that offers such a great mix of intimacy and informality. I think the Breakaway will be great, I'm just cautious about how the reduced outdoor spaces will play out on warmer sailings dor everyone. When I said what I said above, it came out all wrong. I was more trying to make the point that "expensive" is relative, and with less benefits, I'm not sure they can continue to charge the premium they do for the Haven.

Robin

Actually...they say "down the shore". That's what I said when I live up north.;)

Hehehe, I guess it depends on how close you are to the beach. If you say "Down the shore" you are most definitely a Benny lol.. If you have to actually get in a car to go to the beach, it might be "the Shore". If you walk or bike to the beach, it's simply "the beach". But everything is so blended these days, we have Bennys in town and locals living up north lol..

You are so close to my house you should come to our annual Benny Party! It started 30+ years ago, just trying to keep tradition alive! Wish you were on my sailing! Heck, I bet we have some friends in common!

Robin

Barnegat Bay, across from Island Beach State Park. :)

Grew up in North Jersey, moved "down the shore" to raise kids, still commuting to my North Jersey job.

Beautiful place! IBSP is so heavenly! I feel for your commute, my dad (bless his soul) commuted into NYC every day, and took so much guff for being from such a "hick area" as Manasquan - now many of those same people wish they had moved here years ago.. It's a great place to raise kids - I'm fifth generation - at 18 I couldn't wait to get out, once I had kids I couldn't wait to get back! Hehehe

Robin

I completely agree with you on most counts, I'm just wary of where it may go from here.. The Epic used to have a Haven only Sundeck, but they opened it to everyone after a while, so that left only Posh and inside the Haven, which looks nice but is a huge waste of space to me -extremely hot, very noisy, like being in a crowded greenhouse.. The Epic had a much bigger adult Spice H20 space, the Breakaway's is greatly downsized, forcing people to pay extra for more space. It seems like all outdoor space is reduced on the Breakaway, not just the Haven space - hoping the Waterfront takes up some of the overflow, but I think it will be close everywhere on the ship, with less people even able to sit on their own balconies.

As to why I sail NCL, I love the informality.. Haven't found a luxury line yet that offers such a great mix of intimacy and informality. I think the Breakaway will be great, I'm just cautious about how the reduced outdoor spaces will play out on warmer sailings dor everyone. When I said what I said above, it came out all wrong. I was more trying to make the point that "expensive" is relative, and with less benefits, I'm not sure they can continue to charge the premium they do for the Haven.

Robin

That is a fair point on all counts. I do have a feeling if the sundeck on Epic was opened to all, it was probably because it was being underutilized.

Of course I am saying this now, but I do often think about pulling the trigger on a suite..... I'm cheap though and want to retire by my early 50's (41 now), so even getting a balcony gives me an ulcer :).

Couldn't agree with you more, well put. Realistically NCL made the mistake of opening a pandora's box by including Vibe/Posh access to suite guests in the past. Again, big mistake on their part, because now suite guests are expecting it.

Of course they are! Just as you expect a lounger or two on your large balcony! I am booked in a Haven suite and for the cost of them it is actually reasonable to expect that these services are included just as it is reasonable for you to expect lounger furniture for the large balcony you are paying more for.

I really don't see how you can argue one way for yourself and against others who have the same expectation for the significantly higher fare that they pay to cruise in the Haven.

Ok, after reading many of these crumb cake threads I realized I don't know crumb cake so i googled it. Is it the same as coffee cake? They look the same to me.

I think they are the same - we always called it coffee cake, but I've seen it called crumb cake.. Might be a fancier term! :)

Robin

Archived