NYC Pier/porters

jfpb

Has anyone had any past experiences with the porters at the NY pier. Since they're not employees of carnival I'm a little nervous. Are they reliable? How does embarcation go. We'll be traveling with a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Thanks in advance for your help.:) This is my first cruise ever, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Since they're not employees of carnival I'm a little nervous.

Why? :confused: The stevedores are not employed by the cruiseline at *any* port.

jfpb,

I have sailed out of NYC 3 times on the Legend and once on the Victory and Triumph. No problem at all. Actually what a relief to dump off the bags and head inside to wait on line. I will be sailing on the Legend again on the 29th. The check-in process is really not that bad. I just think we are all sooooooo excited to get on the ship it seems like a incrediably long wait. Hold on to those youngin's outside the street is very conjested in front of the terminal. Happy sailing

We took the Horizon out of New York in 1991. The porters came into the bus, said the tip is 2.00 per bag and to pay it now. They then went to each person, asked how many bags they had and got the money. We were afraid our luggage would end up in the Hudson if we didn't give them the money. Our bags did make it. I hope it's better now.

The porter who collected our bags last June was very good. He had the passenger list; we booked a guarantee, so he was the one who told us our cabin. Very friendly, no suggested tip. When we were debating whether to take a bag as a carry-on, he said "Why don't you check it? After all, you're on vacation!" in his very-Noo Yawk voice. Everything (including a bottle of port) made it aboard just fine. If you're driving, make sure to drop your bags off at street level before going to the parking lot; there are no elevators from the parking level to the terminal.

Check to see whether there is more than one ship in port when you are departing/arriving - that has a big effect on the ease of embarcation/debarcation. Embarcation with one ship was fairly easy; there were lines, but they moved. Debarcation with thee ships in port was very difficult and unpleasant. Not the nicest way to end a vacation!

We were in NY in Sept on the victory and have no problems with the porters there. Had more problems with the cab ride from the airport. Though I was on a roller coaster.

We New Yorkers have a funny accent HUH!!!!

Archived