One Day in Halifax

I am going to be in Halifax on September 10 and am trying to decide how to best spend my time. It appears from reading everything on here that most of the town including the Citadel is walkable. Is Peggy's cove worth the $60 that the cruise ships want for the trip? Is Fairview? Peggy's and Fairview seem to take all day. I tend to like to wander around and get to know a city I've never been in, but if a tour is a better way to experience Halifax it would be helpful to know that.

A lot of questions, I know but its a short amount of time in port.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am going to be in Halifax on September 10 and am trying to decide how to best spend my time. It appears from reading everything on here that most of the town including the Citadel is walkable. Is Peggy's cove worth the $60 that the cruise ships want for the trip? Is Fairview? Peggy's and Fairview seem to take all day. I tend to like to wander around and get to know a city I've never been in, but if a tour is a better way to experience Halifax it would be helpful to know that.

We will be in port the same day as you! You will be there 8-9hrs. Peggy's Cove is a three hour tour and reasonable from all cruiselines. If you include the Titanic Cemetery it is a little more but not worth the expense.

I am working with fellow cruisers to setup a 4 hr taxi to the Cove with a stop at the maple factory and a lobster lunch. The cab is $45/hr or a total of $45/pp for 4 people plus lunch.

There will be three ships in port on the 10th with 9000 pax so it should be busy. No matter what you do enjoy

Dave

You can easily spend the day wandering around downtown.

Personally I would not go to Peggys Cove when there are so many ships in town, unless you can arrange to go there late in the afternoon when the crowds are gone. If you take a taxi or private tour you can perhaps do that.

I have never looked at the gravestones at Fairview Lawn Cemetery. That is what you will see, nothing else. I have seen them in photos and on TV. If you have a very keen interest in all things Titanic, then I guess you should go there. Much more important is the display at the Maritime Museum right on the waterfront.

Check out this link for more information: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I love Peggy's Cove it iconic so yes I think it's a must but I do agree try and go when the crowds have left or if you can before they arrive is ideal!!

Re Fairview Cemetary that depends on your interest level re Titanic.The headstones are layed out in the shape of bow of ship, there are alot of well known individuals asssociated with the sinking of the Titanic buried there which a tour guide would explain, including the recent naming of the unkown child.

The Citadel, Maritime Museum can all be visited by walking. My suggestion would be to take a taxi tour as soon as you dock and visit cemetary( if interested) and Peggy's Cove and lobster if you are a fan. Then get dropped at the Citadel on your way back and you have the afternoon to wander through the city.

We did this last year with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours and had great tour, super friendly, knowledgeable, local guides.More info here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1477106

Hope you have great visit no matter what you decide.

One more comment...The two kayak trips we are looking at in Nova Scotia are in different areas. One is dover island the other is St Margarets bay. Is dover island in the bay of fundy which we can see in St Johns New Brunswick? Which one should we do, assuming we kayak in Nova Scotia?

We rented a car from Enterprise and drove out to Peggy's cove, then enjoyed the scenery and a wonderful lunch on our trip back to town. We also stopped at the Swissair 111 memorial. It was a short walk from the ship to the train station to pick up the car. The man at the counter drove us back to the ship.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Almost decided to rent a car but read about Great Earth Expeditions on Trip Advisor and on the Roll Call and decided to go that route instead. Sounds like there is some flexibility in the tour and it gets back in time for me to have a couple hours to wander downtown Halifax.:D

We will be in port the same day as you! You will be there 8-9hrs. Peggy's Cove is a three hour tour and reasonable from all cruiselines. If you include the Titanic Cemetery it is a little more but not worth the expense.

I am working with fellow cruisers to setup a 4 hr taxi to the Cove with a stop at the maple factory and a lobster lunch. The cab is $45/hr or a total of $45/pp for 4 people plus lunch.

There will be three ships in port on the 10th with 9000 pax so it should be busy. No matter what you do enjoy

Dave

What ship are you on? I,too,(with a friend) will be there and would loven a tour like this...Enchantment of the Seas

Donna

What ship are you on? I,too,(with a friend) will be there and would loven a tour like this...Enchantment of the Seas

Donna

We are on NCL! You will not be in port the same day as us! See if you can find people on your roll call who would be interested in joining you for a tour.

Dave

Archived