Review - Belize & Coral Breeze

Luvmyfam3

We just got off the Elation yesterday! Great trip! Belize was one of the highlights of our trip!

That day was extremely overcast. We got in the tender boat and we hit a really big storm! It was kind of freaky! But, we made it to shore where it was still raining a little. We found Coral Breeze without any problems. Monique told us that it hadn't rained there for 6 months! I'm sure they were glad to see the rain, but we weren't too thrilled. Anyway, we took off for Caulker Caye. We dropped someone off and then on to the reef. The water was pretty choppy that day and the wind was really strong. They said that the current was too strong for us to snorkel in the channel, so they showed us other places to go. It was great, but a little crowded. And the current made it difficult to maneuver. BUT, the fish and coral were unbelieveable!! Unlike any I've ever seen before! It was tough swimming, but great fun! Oh, they have you wear a life vest the whole time. They suggest you wear it around your waist, but offer a couple of other ways. Well, I wore it around my waist most of the time, but in the end, I just hooked my arm through it. MUCH BETTER!!! So much easier to maneuver!! I wish I had tried it earlier!!! Anyway, then we went to the stingrays and sharks. Well, they threw out the bait and then started yelling "Jump!Jump!". I can tell you, it's pretty disconcerting to jump in the water when you see sharks swimming around down there!!! I had heard before that the sharks always leave by the time the motors stop running. Well, these didn't!!! They all stuck around pretty much the whole time!! I held on to the rope by the ship to watch them all and I could heard my heart beating fast when those sharks were swimming right at me and then go right underneath me!!! What a thrill!!! They even let some people touch them! Then, we went back to Caulker Caye for lunch. On the way, the ladder from above came down and hit my friend on the head!! It was scary! The people were nice, but they seemed much more concerned about the ladder than my friend's head! I was disappointed that they didn't even offer to buy him a beer for the headache! Oh well! On to Caulker Caye .. I was STARVING!! I had the traditional Belizean meal, which was very good! We loved the hot sauce! We also bought a Belizean beer, which was very good. Then, we just walked down "Main Street". What a wonderful place! I REALLY want to go back there! It was so quiet and what we thought a true Caribbean village would look like. I told them it kind of reminded me of a Northern Exposure in the Caribbean. Haha! We found some great jewelry and artwork. I'm going back!!!

BTW, we had signed up before for the cave-tubing. I'm sure that normally it is VERY fun, but other people we talked to said they were miserable from the rain, which made them cold during the tube. Also, it made the walk very muddy and one lady got tons of ant bites during the walk. Needless to say, due to the weather, we were very glad we ended up with the snorkelling trip!!

Kim:D

Hi Kim,

I am glad that despite the rain and choppy seas you were still able to enjoy your day. We also did Shark Ray Alley with Coral Breeze last month on our trip with Explorer. We had great weather, the snorkeling was good, not great, so maybe the choppy seas helped attract a little more. Considering how well known Belize is for scuba and snorkeling, I guess I was expecting much more. The day we were there the current in one part was moderate, one of the guides (David, who was absolutely wonderful!) helped me with my 8 year old daughter (Dad stayed behind in the boat because our 5 year old had a sudden fear of snorkeling-even though she snorkeled extensively last year in Maui).

You are so lucky the sharks stayed around. They started throwing in the bait to attract them, they came right away and right up to the sides of the boat, actually sticking their heads out of the water to grab the bait. My daughter was able to feed one, but we were not in the water. As soon as people jumped in, those sharks were outta there, they must have been hungry! The rays did hang out for a long time and were swimming between our legs, very cool.

You were also lucky as it sounds like the stores on the Caye were open. We were there on a Tuesday, and I was especially looking for some local artwork (we collect at least one piece, usually a watercolor, on each vaca) but everything was closed. Lunch was good though, I agree.

Coral Breeze does a great job, I will certainly look them up on a return visit. Funny about the caves, groups on our ship said there trip was only average too. They complained about the long and strenous walk to the river, the low river that they had to walk quite a ways on, the rocks. Honestly, I think this excursion is overrated, yeah it sounds exciting to float down a river, but I haven't seen too many posts without an issue mentioned.

FYI-we did the Xcaret excursion in Cozumel, they have a very long underground river system that you swim through (very easy swim, soft current that takes you, crystal clear water that is refreshing but not cold). A very good alternative to the river tubing.

Michelle

I've done the Xcaret excursion in Cozumel too! I loved that one! We did consider the cave-tubing because it sounds neat to float through a jungle and caves, but I'm glad we didn't! I think we did A LOT for the money we spent!! Well worth it!

Archived