Ever tuned in LOCAL radio in the islands?

Anyone ever taken a radio to tune in local radio stations?

I was on the world facts website of the CIA this afternoon looking up some things for research (not cruise related) and I saw a section for each country listing radio stations. Most of the smaller islands only have one or two and wondered if any of you had actually tuned in? Might be neat to take a cassette and record and hour or two of island radio complete with local d.j. voices.

Anyone tried it?

Am I a complete nerd?

Seems like it ought to work. Have done more land-based island vacations than cruising, and the car radio picks up local stations pretty clearly. See no reason why a boom box with recorder wouldn't work as well. Don't be surprised if some stations sound rather "Americanized!"

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken a portable am/fm/sw radio with me on cruises. I have been a shortwave listener since I was a kid in the 60's and my father bought me a radio kit for Christmas. Honestly, I enjoy listening to foreign stations via the internet just as much, although the challenge of pulling in that distant/weak station is missing.

The added enjoyment of listening while cruising is that it puts me in the mood for the next port. It's just possible you will have information about local activities (I recall a church rummage sale I visited in Nassau) and stores (sales!) that others will not. Good things to know if you are venturing beyond the tourist areas at the port.

I've seen small portables with a few sw bands for under $30. Don't know about the quality, but would expect decent reception of the more powerful stations. Wouldn't take up much room in your carry-on.

Archived