Theft on Public Beaches?

govgurl

Quick question for those that have been to public beaches in the Bahamas, have you had anything stolen from your bag while you are in the water? I'm going to be cruising to the Bahamas (Nassau, Freeport) this fall with a couple of friends. We're probably going to do public beaches only (not day passes), at least in Nassau I know we're planning to just go to Junkanoo and maybe go peek at Cabbage Beach, but likely not swim.

For those that went to Junkanoo or other public beaches, what did you do about your stuff while you were swimming? Did you just leave it with a friend, stick it in the bottom of your tote bag, bring one of those waterproof fanny packs? Have you ever been pickpocketed in Nassau (happens everywhere)?

I travel a lot overseas and am used to a certain level of awareness and caution when it comes to valuables. I know not to flash them around or leave them in sight, not to carry a lot of cash, not to leave my purse open or wallet in my pocket, and to generally be aware of my surroundsings. But I feel like when on a cruise, carrying what's obviously a cruise ship towel and being obviously not a local, I'll stick out easily as a theft target.

When I go to beaches in the US, I usually bring only the essentials (a little cash, credit card, phone) and I stash them in the bottom of my beach bag. I've never had a problem doing this, even when all members of my group are in the water. Not sure if this is the best thing to do in the Bahamas though, as I know that crime is on the uptick. Thoughts?

Quick question for those that have been to public beaches in the Bahamas, have you had anything stolen from your bag while you are in the water? I'm going to be cruising to the Bahamas (Nassau, Freeport) this fall with a couple of friends. We're probably going to do public beaches only (not day passes), at least in Nassau I know we're planning to just go to Junkanoo and maybe go peek at Cabbage Beach, but likely not swim.

For those that went to Junkanoo or other public beaches, what did you do about your stuff while you were swimming? Did you just leave it with a friend, stick it in the bottom of your tote bag, bring one of those waterproof fanny packs? Have you ever been pickpocketed in Nassau (happens everywhere)?

I travel a lot overseas and am used to a certain level of awareness and caution when it comes to valuables. I know not to flash them around or leave them in sight, not to carry a lot of cash, not to leave my purse open or wallet in my pocket, and to generally be aware of my surroundsings. But I feel like when on a cruise, carrying what's obviously a cruise ship towel and being obviously not a local, I'll stick out easily as a theft target.

When I go to beaches in the US, I usually bring only the essentials (a little cash, credit card, phone) and I stash them in the bottom of my beach bag. I've never had a problem doing this, even when all members of my group are in the water. Not sure if this is the best thing to do in the Bahamas though, as I know that crime is on the uptick. Thoughts?

Don't bring ANYTHING of any value. Peoples belongings have been robbed even in view of security.

Put you $$ and cc in a waterproof pouch.. or have someone stay with your stuff.

We never bring anything of value, and my seapass, credit card, money etc is in a waterproof case around my neck. My camera is nothing special, so although I would hate to have it taken, it won't be a great monetary loss. Picture wise it would be devastating.

We went to Junkanoo this past Friday, and although there was one guy being hauled off in handcuffs, I did not feel like there was a huge issue....no more than anywhere else. You just have to be aware.

We never bring anything of value, and my seapass, credit card, money etc is in a waterproof case around my neck. My camera is nothing special, so although I would hate to have it taken, it won't be a great monetary loss. Picture wise it would be devastating.

We went to Junkanoo this past Friday, and although there was one guy being hauled off in handcuffs, I did not feel like there was a huge issue....no more than anywhere else. You just have to be aware.

Thanks to all, I think I will get a Surf Safe or similar for our stuff. I don't bring anything of value when I'm out and about anywhere, but I may want to bring my iPhone as I use that for my main camera. Definitely wouldn't want that taken, but I see on the Witz website they make a waterproof case in a digital device size, so I'll most likely use that.

Thanks to all, I think I will get a Surf Safe or similar for our stuff. I don't bring anything of value when I'm out and about anywhere, but I may want to bring my iPhone as I use that for my main camera. Definitely wouldn't want that taken, but I see on the Witz website they make a waterproof case in a digital device size, so I'll most likely use that.

Great idea! I have a bigger waterproof case that I use for the beach. I holds my money and cards etc, which is nice, but not big enough for my iphone. I will look for one that actually will work for it.

Archived