Advanced Snorkeler needs an excursion!!

JasonandKatie2010

Hello!

My husband and I are cruising this coming December. We are advanced snorkelers and really want to go on an excursion to the reef but are nervous that we will have a similar experience as a trip in mexico where the guides keep you in this tight groups and make you follow them around no matter what other things may be out in the water.

We are hoping for some freedom to explorer and (hopefully) not have to wear lifejackets so we can dive down to get a better look!

Anyone have any suggestions on an excursion that would be right for us.

Thanks soooo much!

If you are up for a non ships tour, I'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & check out their reef snorkel trip with a local lunch on Caye Caulker for all of their info. Heni is the tour group leader & she & her crew do a great job of providing a super snorkel trip & a swim with the Rays & Nurse sharks.

We have been taking this trip probably twice a year for about ten years now & have always had a fine time.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

PS;

If you are also going to Roatan, the Tayabana Beach snorkel, a ships tour, is a great place where you walk into the water & swim to the reef which is very close & all of this is done on your schedule & pace.

If you are up for a non ships tour, I'd suggest that you look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & check out their reef snorkel trip with a local lunch on Caye Caulker for all of their info. Heni is the tour group leader & she & her crew do a great job of providing a super snorkel trip & a swim with the Rays & Nurse sharks.

We have been taking this trip probably twice a year for about ten years now & have always had a fine time.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

PS;

If you are also going to Roatan, the Tayabana Beach snorkel, a ships tour, is a great place where you walk into the water & swim to the reef which is very close & all of this is done on your schedule & pace.

Thanks for the reply!

Can you tell me alittle about the trip?? Was it big groups? Do they give you freedom? Do you have to wear a life jacket? And is there any snorkeling right off the beach???

Thank you thank you!!

Thanks for the reply!

Can you tell me alittle about the trip?? Was it big groups? Do they give you freedom? Do you have to wear a life jacket? And is there any snorkeling right off the beach???

Thank you thank you!!

The group size is limited but I do not recall the size. Ask Mark on the Coral Breeze site. We never have been "too crowded" as many times you are on a ships tour.

You are asked to follow Heni as she leads the group thru the reef, which I would not want to do alone as I might well not find the correct way back to the boat, as she follows her known path. Some areas are too shallow to get thru.

Yes, you have to use, not wear a life vest as a flotation devise which you can leave floating on the surface to dive down & return to the floating vest. We wear our own snorkel vest inflated or not.

From what we have seen on Caye Caulker, you certainly can snorkel from their beach but the bottom has some trash on it as well as lots of grass.

Or, you could take the CB boat to Caye Caulker get off & arrange or pre arrange a snorkel trip form there & catch their boat back to the Tourist Village.

You can ask all of these questions of Mark at their site.

Good luck.

Bill in FL

Archived