Majesty Bermuda 5/8-5/15 Review

beachwarmer

This will be my first cuise and I chose this one for i live near Boston. Only Island I have ever traveled to is Hilton Head so I do not even know where to start to ask ?. Will be traveling there 3rd week of August. Will havewife and 2 girls ages 10 and 13.

I know I would like to snorkle with daughter and have never done it?

So many excusions and having never been there, it's overwhleming. Your review was great and you sound well traveled. What are the must see items and I always fear the crowds so any advice on the ins and outs of efficeint travel would be great!

This is also the first sign on to this sight so let me know if ther are any tips to better navigate through the site

Also What is latitudes?

Welcome Fat Jack:

We will be taking our first Bermuda cruise next month, our 5th overall, and all with NCL. Latitudes is the acknowldegement of past NCL cruisers, and is explained in detail by NCL on their site, http://www.ncl.com. We haven't taken advantage of many member benefits, other than the 20% discount offerred in one designated bar on board each ship, or the special check in desk at the pier. The Latitudes line is normally a little shorter than the others, though not always, but sometimes much shorter. You can also take others in your group with you, so that's a benefit as well. Each cruise also has a Latitudes Pary, about an hour long, free drinks, door prizes, and an introduction to key staff members.

One tip for navigation involves the use of the search function, which you can find at the top of the page, to the right. Click on "Search this thread" and key in your search criteria. I might suggest a test run using "Latitudes", and you will get some additional comments from cc members on this subject. Some of the threads may be quite long, so for the test, look in those that have the fewest replys.

Welcome Fat Jack! You're going to love the Boston to Bermuda itinerary! And, you're really going to love Bermuda itself. The island is simply beatiful, easy to navigate by bus or taxi, and the port town of St. Georges has so much to offer within walking distance! There's a "Bermuda" messageboard available here at Cruise Critic, and there are many wonderful threads there, if you have time to do some reading there.

You asked about snorkling with your daughter. You can snorkle at Tobacco Bay Beach, and also at St. Catherine's Beach. Both beaches are walkable if you're in for a small hike - or you can take the St. Georges Bus for about $3.00 apiece. US currency is acceptable anywhere in Bermuda, and is penny for penny equal to Bermuda currency.

Anything else you need to know, just post! Lots of us will be delighted to assist you.

Oh, and one more thing - - - are you the same Fat Jack that I've become familiar with on another forum dedicated to my favorite Lake?????

We started on the Star in 2002, and I came across this board a couple of weeks before the cruise. I've been a regular here, ever since. We got hooked by the bug, and this board helps you to continue to enjoy your cruise after it's completed, and help you prepare for your next one, long before it happens. After the Star, we've been on two Dawn Bahamas itineraries, and one S. Caribbean 10 day cruise last December. The Majesty is up next, and we hope to cruise the new Jewel in the fall.

You can get answers to anything on this board, free for the asking. There's so much knowledge out there, it never takes long to get the help you are asking for.

Good Luck

I used Fat Jack as a reference to a Cafe I visited at Provincetown at Cape Cod. I have never used this before. It just popped into my head! As TC mentioed, there is alot of info to be found here and after 1 hour on this site, I'm already reaping some rewards and learning from some other threads I just reviewed about cruise etiquette!

Fat Jack, you'll find everything you need to know here - including some stuff you didn't know you needed to know! :p Welcome! Sorry you're not the other FJ I'm familiar with, but before long I'll be familiar with you, too!

Ask any questions you have - we all love sharing information with new cruisers!!!!!

Jack, actually, I'm Pepper.:p But since you asked, yes, Waldo and I have been on the Majesty four times. There are others on these boards who've been many times more than us! She's a beloved ship for anyone who's sailed her - as you will soon find out!

When are you sailing?

Pepper

Yes they do rent snorkel equipment. For the cost of rentals, you could go to Walmart, Target, Dick's or any other sporting goods store and buy the snorkel equipment (plus you'll always have it for future use!) Also, at least you know your mouth was on the mouthpiece last.

Tobacco Bay would be the best place for beginners. St. Catherine's has a bit of an undertow if you go too far out. Also, when we went to St. C's last year, the facilities were disgusting (no running water or flushable toilets yet they could still sell food out of the concession stand?) and they wanted a small fortune to rent an umbrella and/or chair.

FatJack: We went the 3rd week of August last year and the weather was absolutely perfect! We plan on doing the same week next year. You are going to love the Boston-Bermuda itinerary. My DD was 12 at the time and she had a great time, even though the kids program for age was lacking. She found a few things that interested her in the program and made some friends so it worked out. The Majesty isn't too big so you don't have to worry about your girls wandering around. Relax and enjoy:)

Manugit and Fat Jack

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you but it is a long weekend here and we have just gotten back from our cottage.

As for your excursions, the helmet diving is a really great activity. I don't know the ages of your children but I think they will really like this if they are over 7/8. As for snorkeling, the best place is Church Bay on the south shore. I have heard conflicting information whether it has been re-opened since the hurricane. The cliffs leading down to the beach were eroded from the high surf and needed to be shored up for safety reason. We drove by and there were people there. This is one place that can be great for beginners if the winds are low and the seas are calm. If the conditions are different I would rate it medium to advance. I would call the 1-800 number for Bermuda tourism to check before I head there. The taxi /bus drivers do not always know.

As others have said Tobacco Bay is good for beginners. I would also suggest a cove at Horseshoe Bay. If when you enter the beach, past the showers/concessions and turn right you will see a small, protected cove. When we were there a couple of weeks ago the parrot fish, etc where very abundant. It is nicely sheltered too and calm. We were there about 10:30 so it might get busy in the afternoon.

Another activity that most kids like is Dolphin Quest, ( http://www.dolphinquest.org ). The programs are great. If you do not want to pay to participate in the programs, you can just pay the admission to the Maritime Museum and watch the programs. You will be very close to the dolphins and see them jump etc. The kids will not be able to touch them but the trainers will talk with the crowd, answer questions and show you the babies etc. The museum is interesting too with a great view of the island.

The Aquarium and Zoo is great for the kids too on a rainy day. (Not that it will rain on your trip.) You can just grab a bus and do the Crystal Caves and Zoo on the same route. The Aquarium and Zoo has seals, a great tank with moray eels and fish, flamingos, crocs, monkeys, etc. It is great for the size of the island.

The Wild Cat tour of the island is fun too. It was a little expensive but a great trip. It still was a little bumpy on the South Shore, but exciting. It is basically a speed boat that takes you around the island very fast and then you pull into castle harbour and look at some of the big homes in Tucker's Town. It was interesting to see the island from this perspective.

Tips for staying away from the crowds.

Don't take the bus or ride scooters at rush hour. (The bus is also the school bus so they will be really busy and full. A full bus will pass you by.) Good times to travel are between 9 and 3 and again after 6. The traffic is headed into Hamilton in the morning and out in the afternoon. A lot of the private schools are located in Hamilton area as are the two public secondary schools. The ferry is also a good way to get around Bermuda. Remember to say, "Good Morning, Afternoon" to the bus drivers and Bermudians. This is common practice there.

Horseshoe Bay will get really busy on a nice day. Keep walking down the beach to the left and there are nice coves, etc around the corner. If the tide is low you will have an easier time walking to these. I would only swim on the main beach area due to the rip tides.

Do not leave all your shopping for Friday mornings. I think everyone shops the morning before the ship leaves. The shops were crazy.

Here is my "Must do Bermuda" list:

1. Horseshoe Bay

2. Front Street Hamilton

3. Dockyard - Dolphin Quest, Frog and Onion Burger

4. Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and Tea Room - amazing view and great scones and tea with a view

5. Swizzle Inn - the cheese sticks with cranberry is great..oh yah and the swizzle's

Hope this helps.

Manugit; we rented chairs at both beaches...Tobacco was $7 for sand chairs and St.Cs' was $10 for plastic lounges ..I thought both were reasonable...the bathrooms at St.Cs' are up and running with water...as with all public facilities good for emergencys... btw good rum and cokes at the beach bar ..we brought our own snorkeling equip.

Beachwarmer, outstanding I have great info to see the highlights, this board is great... only if I knew how to use it.. I just posted this on another thread and you have some great knowledge of St george, I will bother the board with the same question... My 15 yr DD wants her hair braided , like an islander , and a hair salon near the rum cake store was suggested and I thought it smart to make an appointment prior to our visit...how would one find an address or phone #, Im searching Chamber of comerce, but its more like the chamber of horrors and mis direction) any thoughts.

Daughter is 15 and son 17, the excursions are mighty pricy multiplied by 4 so excursions are limited...the helmet dive is a must I think, and I like Hartley's Helmet dive write up, rather that the peppercorn excursion from the ship. We will buy our own snorkel equip here and basicly the other day or so on Bermuda will be beaches ,Horseshoe as you descibed, is a must see, and we will snorkel. a few shops and thats it, Not even sure if a trip to Hamilton is on our egenda, sounds like a helmet dive and snorkeling will tie up most of the days...oh I forgot, the hair braiding yipee

Manugit: The hair braiding near the rum cake store in St. George isn't a "salon" so you wouldn't be able to make an appointment. Go as soon as you get off the ship. If they are busy, they will take your name and tell you to come back in x amount of minutes. Don't forget to test the rum cakes while your DD is having her hair braided!

Boy you guys are getting me psyched for our cruise on August 21st on the Majesty. Thanks for all of the good info. There is also a ton of good info on the "First time cruisers" board, like bringing over the door shoe holders to hand on the bathroom door to store items like lotion, shoes, brushes, etc. Thanks for the great review, Beachwarmer.:)

Kathy

The daily schedule talks about the $40.25 soda sticker which I assume you put the sticker on your room key, can be purchased for bar and fountain drinks only. can this offer be pre-purchased calling NCL, as one would do to book and excursion. This way to avoid lines upon boarding. and can I bring my own cup for this?

Archived