Other than Rome - What to do from Port

kwar

WE have done Rome, and wondered what else we could get a tour to see from this port. Has anyone done any other than into Rome? Would love some ideas as we overnight there in early January.

What are your interests? Early January makes this a bit more challenging, as outdoor options like Tivoli may be less attractive to you due to weather.

Also, what are your transportation options? Will you be limited to public transit, or are you willing to rent a car and drive, or pay for a car service?

It's a shame you have "done" Rome, there is so much to see and do in the city and with no crowds it's quite wonderful. Add to that the fact that you don't have to race back to make a departure time, so you could enjoy the evening in town and it's a double shame.

Lake Bracciano...Ceri..Ceviteri..Ostia...the etruscans..tarquinia...the list is endless...however I would get a room for the night in Rome and just go back to the ship the next day...the prices will be fabulous that time of year!

Okay, that gives you maximum flexibility. Now, what are your particular interests? Would you be comfortable with a largely outdoors option, given the time of year?

How about walking - not much, a little, more?

History or modern culture? If history, ancient or Renaissance?

With someone else doing the driving you can venture quite far if you choose to, into Southern Tuscany if that interests you, or Umbria.

In January the new oil will be very fresh, so a visit to a winery/olive oil producer might be fun.

We will get some kind of tour guide with car. We have spent 3 days previous in Rome and are not interested in spending the night off the boat. Welcome all ideas.

well then why not do what we did this year after spending 5 nights pre cruise in Rome...we hired Stefano of RomeCabs and did his Castles and Lakes tour...he also has an Etruscan Mysteries tour as well.

Archived