Our MEGA vacation FOS pre-trip report with pictures

We just completed this cruise about 2 weeks ago (8/26-9/2) and I had both of my boys with me as well (oldest turns 15 in Feb, younger one is 10 like yours). Neither of my kids does the club, but the older one lives on the flowrider, and will talk to anyone on the line with him, all day every day. The younger one likes it, but since he's not yet tall enough for stand up surfing, he will move on to the rock wall (his passion..make sure they have socks), ice skating (make sure they have long pants or they cannot skate) and whatever else strikes his fancy. So while I had all good intentions of spending some of my quality vacation time with "Mr. Grey" it didn't materialize LOL!

I always have the boys bathing suits in my shoulder sack so they can change and head up to the flowrider right when it opens. You'll need to be there to hand over your cards and confirm the waivers (do them on line first) and they will get a wrist band depending on height (either boogie board only or both) and that's the last time you need to be with them, unless you want to.

Your older son can do the rock wall and ice skating without you, since he's over 13, but the younger one will need you to be there with him (or your husband) if he chooses to participate.

We did the tour with Bernard in St. Maarten too. I enjoyed the iguanas (so many and so neat), the sea urchins, and the market (when you get to Marigot, try Saraphina's for pastries). We did Sunset Beach (Maho) for the planes, and I have to say, it was neat but not as exciting as I had hoped. I have seen jumbo jets landing that close before so maybe I was a bit jaded, but we did enjoy the tour. We had Timo as our driver and he had a nice a/c van and a cooler full of cold drinks while we were with him.

We missed CocoCay because of the hurricane so we had 4 sea days. Still a wonderful trip. Great staff, wonderful ship. I'm sure you will love it.

Oh, and as mentioned, your attire for "formal" nights will be fine.

We just completed this cruise about 2 weeks ago (8/26-9/2) and I had both of my boys with me as well (oldest turns 15 in Feb, younger one is 10 like yours). Neither of my kids does the club, but the older one lives on the flowrider, and will talk to anyone on the line with him, all day every day. The younger one likes it, but since he's not yet tall enough for stand up surfing, he will move on to the rock wall (his passion..make sure they have socks), ice skating (make sure they have long pants or they cannot skate) and whatever else strikes his fancy. So while I had all good intentions of spending some of my quality vacation time with "Mr. Grey" it didn't materialize LOL!

I always have the boys bathing suits in my shoulder sack so they can change and head up to the flowrider right when it opens. You'll need to be there to hand over your cards and confirm the waivers (do them on line first) and they will get a wrist band depending on height (either boogie board only or both) and that's the last time you need to be with them, unless you want to.

Your older son can do the rock wall and ice skating without you, since he's over 13, but the younger one will need you to be there with him (or your husband) if he chooses to participate.

We did the tour with Bernard in St. Maarten too. I enjoyed the iguanas (so many and so neat), the sea urchins, and the market (when you get to Marigot, try Saraphina's for pastries). We did Sunset Beach (Maho) for the planes, and I have to say, it was neat but not as exciting as I had hoped. I have seen jumbo jets landing that close before so maybe I was a bit jaded, but we did enjoy the tour. We had Timo as our driver and he had a nice a/c van and a cooler full of cold drinks while we were with him.

We missed CocoCay because of the hurricane so we had 4 sea days. Still a wonderful trip. Great staff, wonderful ship. I'm sure you will love it.

Oh, and as mentioned, your attire for "formal" nights will be fine.

Thank you for all the information Janet. I'll make sure I pack long trousers (pants) for them and extra socks too.

My eldest at 15 will probably spend most of his time at the flowrider and my youngest loves doing the climbing wall. He's done one back here is Scotland but it's no where near as tall as the one on Freedom.

I'm sure i'll find a lounger or chair somewhere close by where I can watch them whilst having 'mr grey' in my hand too ;-P

WOW Tinkers, sounds like an amazing trip. You can count me in, for sure, following all of your posts, pre and post trip.

Have cruised the Caribbean, eastern and western, quite a few times (as well as New England in the fall and Alaska in the summer) and much prefer the Eastern itineraries for the sheer beauty. A hilly and sometimes even mountainous terrain jutting up from the sea is something to behold - something you will enjoy as you approach them sitting out on your balcony in the early am with a hot cup of whatever. Western itineraries are mostly (yes, I did say mostly) flat, although the water is amazing in both.

I've also cruised on the Freedom, which is my favorite class of ship so far (I'll be on Oasis in January) and yes, if you can't be on the hump, which is always my favorite place on any class of RCI ship (well, the ones that have humps), 9318 is a great location. On Voyager or Freedom class, anywhere that close to a stairwell or elevator is great, IMHO.

Enjoy, and remember that the planning and anticipation of any trip is half of the fun!:D

WOW Tinkers, sounds like an amazing trip. You can count me in, for sure, following all of your posts, pre and post trip.

Have cruised the Caribbean, eastern and western, quite a few times (as well as New England in the fall and Alaska in the summer) and much prefer the Eastern itineraries for the sheer beauty. A hilly and sometimes even mountainous terrain jutting up from the sea is something to behold - something you will enjoy as you approach them sitting out on your balcony in the early am with a hot cup of whatever. Western itineraries are mostly (yes, I did say mostly) flat, although the water is amazing in both.

I've also cruised on the Freedom, which is my favorite class of ship so far (I'll be on Oasis in January) and yes, if you can't be on the hump, which is always my favorite place on any class of RCI ship (well, the ones that have humps), 9318 is a great location. On Voyager or Freedom class, anywhere that close to a stairwell or elevator is great, IMHO.

Enjoy, and remember that the planning and anticipation of any trip is half of the fun!:D

Awww thanks dreamer, i'll definitely be doing a post trip report. It might be quite long though going my the length of my pre-trippie:D

I always like to include as much information and photo's as possible in my trip reports, every picture tells a tale and all that:cool:

I really can't believe that we leave Scotland in just over 3 weeks time for the start of our adventure and i'm still the only one excited about it! Don't get me wrong, my hubby and kids LOVE their holiday's to the States but they just don't understand the excitement of the build up.......men huh?:rolleyes: :D

Boy, Tinkers, are you in trouble.:eek: Just noticed that this is your first EVER cruise.

Cruises are like the cocaine of vacations (so I'm told). Once is NEVER enough!

oh noooooooo don't say that:eek:

We've got a 2 week vacation booked for Orlando in October 2013 then planning a huge west coast tour taking in LA, San fran, las vegas, Yosemite, the grand canyon etc in 2014 :D

We've got a 2 week vacation booked for Orlando in October 2013 then planning a huge west coast tour taking in LA, San fran, las vegas, Yosemite, the grand canyon etc in 2014 :D

No problems, Tinker. We have taken many trips in between cruises. You stated that you love traveling to/in the States and there surely is plenty to do and see. Your 2014 West trip sounds amazing - I've lived here all my life and still haven't made it to San Francisco or Seattle, two places on my "bucket list".

You will love Bernard's tour in St Marten. He does a fabulous job. We met him on a cruise ship tour and then last year when we went back to St Marten to stay for a week, we used him as our private driver. We had Dudley. Great guy.

Enjoy your trip sounds wonderful. We are sailing on the FOS in January 2013.

Archived