Folkstone Underwater Park or Carlisle Bay

chesspieceface007

We are trying to figure out whether to split the day between Paynes Bay and Carlisle Bay, or whether we should do Paynes Bay and Folkstone Underwater Park. I have read some great reviews about Carlisle Bay, but have heard very little about Folkstone Underwater Park. We will have snorkeling opportunities on other islands (aboard the Carnival Victory), but what say ye?

Carlisle Bay or Folkstone Underwater Park?

Thanks

Probably the ‘best’ from-the-shore snorkeling can be found at Folkstone.

Much better snorkeling is found offshore above one of the many boat wrecks but generally require a lift out to the various spots.

When are you going?

In the North American winters Barbados can be blessed with a ‘North Swell’ which negates all snorkeling. Sand is stirred up by the currents.

It is perhaps best to wait until you get there and see what’s going on. There is a myriad of people willing to take you out cheaply and if the waters are rough, you won’t be committed and can opt for an alternate activity.

I don’t want to diminish the quality of snorkeling on the island. It can be rewarding, but perhaps not up to par with the likes of the Grenadines, Caymans, Bonaire, and Antigua.

Diving can be quite rewarding, however.

Please enjoy you short stay and come back soon! :)

Thanks for the information. We will be in Barbados on Sept. 12. I guess we will have to wait and see if we would rather snorkel or relax on the beach. We also plan on snorkeling in St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

We have been to Folkestone three times. It is great snorkeling, a bit rough, but I am NOT a swimmer, I am a floater and I had no problems snorkeling there. There is not much of a beach, but the water is above sand when you first get in, then you swim out a little bit to the rocks, reefs etc where the fish are. I saw an eel type of thing there, my son and I saw a huge school of fish that look like blue tangs, probably 200 or more, plus all the normal fish, coral etc. It is not really so much of an underwater 'park' I have heard it called that before, but it is just a beach that has great snorkeling. There is a really nice park there with a lot of tress, changing rroms, bathrooms, and a food hut. You can rent chairs. It is right near a church that is one of the oldest places of worship in the "new world" I think it is St james Parish, but I can't remember. I highly recommend Folkestone.

Archived