Jamaica a Disappointment (Ocho Rios)

ladyt

We just got back from our cruise and I have to say that I did not like Jamaica at all. We were harassed the entire time we were walking around. They were trying to sell us drugs every few steps. They kept asking us if we wanted a taxi, when all we wanted to do was walk around.

As soon as you get off the ship you are a target. We went to Island Village and hung out at Margaritaville and while we were eating some delicious food looking at the beach, all you hear is ..psst do you want to buy something (some people on the beach were trying to sell us trinkets). This was very annoying.

Then we decided to go walk around and see some of the stores, boy was this a mistake. My family and I decided to go right back to the ship.

I understand that the people who live in Jamaica are very poor and I do feel bad for them. But I can't understand why the constant harrassment of tourists is permitted. I will never go to Jamaica again. The amount of time we spend there I was very uneasy and did NOT feel safe.

I am sure that Jamaica has so much more to offer than this and I only wish that we were left alone so that we could expirence what Jamaica had to offer. I am guessing that the only "safe" way to go to Jamaica is to do an all inclusive stay at a resort.

If my next cruise has a stop in Jamaica I will stay on the ship. The thought of being approached on a continuous basis to buy drugs was outrageous.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The rumor mill that I heard years back was that Carnival and maybe RCCL was going to do away with Jamaica due to these problems and also people being robbed or assaulted etc. When we went, wife and I hired an cabby that was parked outside the terminal and closer to town, we had a good time and there were no problems.

I have heard similar experiences and that you shouldn't go around Jamaica by yourself. But I have also heard that if you book a tour the island is wonderful and you can see many of the beautiful things it has to offer safely (that is why we have decided to book a private tour). I hope that you don't let your one experience ruin Jamaica for you. If you go on another cruise that goes to Jamaica try going on a private tour.

Rebecca

We talked to a few people who booked excursions through Carnival and asked how they liked Jamaica. We were surprise that they were also harrassed while on their excursion.

We were assuming that we were being approached because we were not on a tour, but according to some people on our cruise everyone was a target.

I wanted to do nothing but walk around. But I guess it would be wise to go with a tour.

I guess I did not want to believe what I read about the island. I have to say it was a learning experience.

I just have not had such neagtive experiences there. Yes I have been asked to purchase things but I am always polite and say "no" and am left alone. As for drugs, I know there are people who reported this but I have never, not once in 13 visits, ever been approached to buy drugs. The penalties for buying drugs are very stiff in Jamaica. I know people have had a bad time there but it has never happened to me. I love Jamaica and would move there in a heartbeat.

I just have not had such neagtive experiences there. Yes I have been asked to purchase things but I am always polite and say "no" and am left alone. As for drugs, I know there are people who reported this but I have never, not once in 13 visits, ever been approached to buy drugs. The penalties for buying drugs are very stiff in Jamaica. I know people have had a bad time there but it has never happened to me. I love Jamaica and would move there in a heartbeat.

We've also been to Jamaica a number of times as well and also have never experienced anything remotely like what was described in the original post. We've had people approach us to buy wares (not drugs), but a simple "No" kept them moving on...We love Jamaica and go back every couple of years..

Opps, didnt read the post good enough. Thats what I get for skimming through it.

Don't worry about it. Once I responded to a post entitled something like, "going to the doctor tomorrow to ask about sea sickness meds for the kids, what should I ask?" It was in some kind of code, but if I looked harder, I would have made it out. Anyway, I responded, "be sure to ask your doctor about sea sickness medications for the kids"! LOL;)

Before going to Jamaica last December, I read all kinds of negitive reviews about the island. It was the stop that I was least looking forward to. I did alot of research about the ships tours and private tours out of Ocho Rios and chose a private tour guide (Orville Taylor). Mainly because I had heard that it was smart to do a tour and Orville was willing to do whatever we felt like doing vs. a structured tour. Anyways, Jamaica was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip. I went there w/ little expectation, figured we do the falls to be able to say we did the falls and that was about it. We had a BLAST! Orville was wonderful. We did the falls, fern gully. He took us shopping to cute, little places away from town. No pressure, no harrasment. He took us to a fantastic local Jamaican restaurant with a million dollar view of the ocean, etc, etc. We had the best time. Out of the 4 of us (2 couples, 30s and 40s), 3 of us chose Jamaica as our favorette stop.

Anyways, maybe Jamaica is dangerous. I don't know. With the experience I had, I don't think so. Everyone we met were nice & friendly w/o a hidden agenda. Then again, maybe that was because we were with Orville. Either way, Jamaica is beautiful and not a stop to be missed. If you are worried about saftey and want to ensure a good time, I would suggest a private tour with a reputable tour guide. Have fun!

Tracey

Sorry you had such a bad experience. We have been twice and have had the opposite experience. It is a beautiful island, with great people. We learned that a polite no thank you usually moved them on to the next person. Sorry you had a bad time and maybe someday consider giving the island another chance.

We have also done an all-inclusive there and that may be best for you. It was a great time.

I do want to point out that I believe people have a hard time but I am just in shock about the pot sales. Really, Jamaican jails are terrible to the point of horror. I cannot imagine people selling real pot or try to, to cruise ship passengers.

Maybe we were more of a target because of my 17 year old son, but all I heard was "Yo you want some weed", "Yo you want some hash". They were very up front in your face (keep in mind that this was right in front of the pier area). They were insistant.

This is why we decided to go back to the ship, I had enough, even my husband had enough.

By the way, I have no reason to lie, exaggerate my experience in Jamaica. I am still a bit in shock over this. I have read that people have gone through the same thing that we did but I also read that some never had a bad experience. I hope that no one goes through what we did.

I was worried about going to Jamaica last time but am really looking forward to this trip. My husband was approached by some folks selling drugs but a polite no was all it took. Thought we might be doing something to attract them and asked that in a post "am I doing something wrong". Apparently it is quite common, but the people do take no for an answer. This time we're going on a tour with Trevor Hudlin, hopefully that will cut down on some of the drug offers. The most important thing I've learned about JAmaica is don't wander off alone. Safety in numbers you know.:)

Funny...I rather enjoyed the cannibus and took it to Haiti with me afterwards. Maybe you should relax a little and maybe twist up a number next time ;)

ok,ok,ok....

yes i was asked multiple times to buy things like wooden parrots...but i wasnt "asked" to buy marijuana.

It was my favorite stop (that was 15 years ago) i think ill try tubbing this time since i have 3 kids now! :O)

OK, anyone know how to go about tubing? does RCCL have that as an excursion?

nevermind! that Phil fella is getting awesome reviews. Id like to do the tubing and see a little of a beach as well, i wonder if thats possible.

I am sure that is possible. Let him know you want to do the tubing, then go to the beach afterwards. They will take care of you.

I've heard the jails are terrible and the laws are stiff "on the books" but in reality a large percentage of Jamaicans like to smoke their "ganja" so the police often turn a blind eye to marijuana use/sale.

I've heard the jails are terrible and the laws are stiff "on the books" but in reality a large percentage of Jamaicans like to smoke their "ganja" so the police often turn a blind eye to marijuana use/sale.

We were on a ship sponsored tour, through some type of botanical gardens. This was almost 20 years ago so I don't remember where exactly. Anyway, being young and naive, we thought the people along the way (we were on a trail, following a guide) were part of the tour. So, when this guy motioned my husband over, he thought he was showing us something interesting. Well, of course, it was ganga. The tour guide yelled at the guy to go away, and at us to get back in line. Well, just around the corner was a police man waiting for the unsuspecting tourist. A set up. Don't take a chance!:eek:

Don't take a chance!:eek:

oh i agree, i wouldnt if i were you. I was young and daring.

Anyway, FYI, our cab driver said that many prefer to drink it...like tea. No waste.

"Haste make waste mon"

When i went my first time with my wife, a couple at our table felt the same way as the lead poster here. They HATED it, but, we loved it. I had fun with them, and they in turn were having fun with us. As our cruise director said "They are generally harmless...they just want your money!" :o)

many of them, if strongly confronted, would smile and back down with an apology (of course they may hold up a wooden parrot carving and ask you once more if youre sure you dont want to buy it, while doing so! hehe).

They really are nice. So need to freek out. But yes, there are exceptions, to every rule, and in EVERY place.

But it really is good stuff! ( sorry, i couldnt resist, i SURE we have some smokers out there)

12VMAN, you are funny: 'But it really is good stuff! ( sorry, i couldnt resist, i SURE we have some smokers out there)'.......

But I have to agree with you on that one. They just don't want to admit it, :rolleyes: which is fine. :cool:

I've also been to Jamaica, and I've never been approached to buy any drugs. And neither was anyone in our tour groups. I kinda felt left out :( , after all the talk about being approached, and you have to be so careful.

So back I go, in August, so we'll see then.:confused:

Just got back from Rhapsody of the Seas, which went to Jamaica on the 18th. I also had a similar experience as the original poster. As soon as we left the terminal building it was constant harrassment till we got to Island Village, where it died down, but didn't go away. We chose to stay at Margaritaville the whole time, and were still bothered by peddlers on the beach. It looked like they could only go to a certain point on the beach but that made little difference as a polite "no thank you" drew insults from those trying to sell their goods. We were offered to "party" by a man selling wooden goods outside a shop.

Cozumel seemed similar in pushiness although they seemed a little more organized than the Jamaicans. They also didn't pull out the whol "show me some respect" bull that the Jamaicans did. I'd like to see Jamaica again, and would either go to an all-inclusive or a private tour.

We went to Ocho Rios in April on MOS. We too were harassed SEVERAL times to buy drugswhen we walked around-and not just Marijuana either-one guy offered us Cocaine!?!? I kind of expected it after some things I read on these boards, but after a Jamaican fellow offered "to take care of the lady"-meaning me!-for my boyfriend, I had enough. I too thought "well maybe if we took a tour"... I talked to people on our ship that went on different tours-Dunns Falls and snorkeling-and they had similar experinces. The snorkel group said people actually swam up to them in the water to try to sell them drugs! I do have to say I did meet a handful of locals who were friendly and polite in our travels-but most were not, at least the ones that we encountered. Oh well, we still made the most of our day in Jamaica anyway

Archived