Ladies...do you dress to impress?

susie8862

I dress for me ... but I was raised to try and exceed the standard of what is expected. I've never been a dress to the bare minimum kind of girl.

Unless I feel like I'm on my deathbed you will never see me leave the house without my makeup, my hair done, and at a bare minimum my earrings. I can't stand the feel of flip flops between my toes and am not a huge fan of the look. Even my 3yo grandson pointed out to somebody yesterday that, "maw maw doesn't like flip flops."

When on a cruise I usually pack inexpensive sundresses for daytime. They are nothing fancy ... but I always have earrings, a necklace, and possibly bracelets to wear as well as my watch with the sundress. For evenings dresses are still my go to garment with my heels and all the accessories that I feel compliment that dress. Formal or Elegant nights I usually pack at least 1 full length dress and its complimentary bling. I have been known to pack black slacks and alternate tops, but never feel quite comfortable in that.

I do like to people watch and when the ships enforced their dress codes I loved to just sit with a cocktail and watch the people as they were coming and going to dinner and their evening activities. These days I don't do as much of that. But like another poster said sometimes wish one of my girlfirends were there to comment with. She and I can sit and run a commentary for what seems like hours.

I love clothes, shoes Me too purses/bags. Period.

I also always notice what people are wearing... Sometimes. If I really like an outfit I'll tap them on the shoulder, excuse myself, and then ask if they would mind telling me where they bought such an adorable outfit.

Do you dress to impress, for yourself, for your spouse or perhaps you just are not into clothes?:o I dress for myself.

See above answers in BOLD.

I love dressing up! I like looking good for my DH and also for myself. When we book a cruise I usually start buying new things to wear on the cruise immediately. Even if it is just shorts, I want cute shorts, a cute top to wear with it, some cute little sandles and blingy jewelry!

I love to dress up and my husband loves it when I do. It's so different from everyday life.

I have 4 kids ages 15-23, and I still get giddy when people say I don't look like I have 4 children.

I worked in the women's department for a national retailer for 8 years and loved my job. It was so exciting to see some of my customers take a chance on something, they were sure they would hate. I sometimes think, some women just give up.

For myself I want to look trendy, but in age appropriate clothes. What a woman wears to dinner on formal night or any night is her choice. I do admire a woman who is dressed up with all the bells and whistles. It's the fashionista in me!

I've faced it. I will never be 20 again, and that is probably a good thing. I am more comfortable in my skin and as they say I like who I am. I choose clothes that make me feel good and do it at a reasonable cost.

I also don't forget that my husband has eyes, and there is plenty out there for him to look at. I appreciate beauty, why shouldn't he? BUT, I want him to still think, I am the bomb:)

<snip>

I do admire a woman who is dressed up with all the bells and whistles. It's the fashionista in me!

I've faced it. I will never be 20 again, and that is probably a good thing. I am more comfortable in my skin and as they say I like who I am. I choose clothes that make me feel good and do it at a reasonable cost.

I also don't forget that my husband has eyes, and there is plenty out there for him to look at. I appreciate beauty, why shouldn't he? BUT, I want him to still think, I am the bomb:)

I completely agree with the last part of your post and even more so the very last paragraph. In the early years of our marriage I was a hair dresser. I watched so many others my age who just seemed to give up on taking care of themselves after getting married and whose only concern was comfort. I watched many of them watch their marriages disolve. I know that looks aren't everything (and I'm thankful for that) but ... I often wonder if it would have made a difference in their lives if they hadn't given up on their own looks.

I love dressing up for myself and for my husband! To me it is like dressing up for a date, and after 25 years of marriage it is nice to know that my spouse still makes the effort in looking nice for me as I do for him. I also LOVE to sit back and see what everyone else is wearing! And also to me it is part of the cruising experience.

Vicki

I dress for comfort but I work hard to remain thin.

It's been very important to me to maintain my weight- for one thing, I don't "grow out" of clothes, and it pays off in general health benefits.

mek mentioned Chico's- I LOVE Chico's. Lots of flattering, comfortable clothes. There's always a lot from there in my bag when I travel.

I love pretty clothes. At my age 57, I still like fashionable things but I have gone a bit more casual. I love cruise clothes shopping; it's part of the cruise.:) I mostly just wear capris and cute tops, sundresses but I always dress for elegant night. My big problem is shoes. I love shoes but none of them feel comfy so although I manage a pair of heels for elegant night the rest of the time I'm in yellowbox flip flops. :eek: (at least they are a little blingy!) :D

I love fashion but I'm not a slave to fashion. I have my own style of dressing and I always feel good when people compliment my jewelry (mostly costume stuff not real jewels) because I've picked out each individual piece that I own. I have a huge collection of vintage jewelry. I love getting compliments on my clothing and accessories because each piece is special to me. I don't care if other people are not into fashion. I dress for myself and my DH.

I wear a uniform 5+ days/week in a very male oriented profession (Federal LEO).... so when I am off duty and especially on vacation I really enjoy dressing "feminine".... Although sometimes the transition from duty boots to heels is a challenge...

I love clothes and shoes and well, fashion! I'm no fashionista though. I wear what I like and dress for comfort, but I try to wear flattering things for me, i.e., size & age appropriate clothes/shoes.

I do like to dress up for DH. I love to wow him when I don a dress, heels and make-up. He sure knows how to make me feel sexy, beautiful, and special :-)

Don't do the evening gown thing but love a nice dress and dressy pants :-)

My style is casual chic! Im never without earrings, even poolside. LOL :cool:

Im usually in a swimsuit & cover-up on deck, sundress or shorts & tank top at port, and formal wear or sundress at dinner. A floppy hat and big sunglasses are essentials during the day. Heels are a must have in the evenings!

I dress for me, though. The people that are trying to impress others are usually the same people that don't know how to have a good time.

I really like getting all dressed up, if the mood strikes me. Don't know when that might happen. We use to drive to the port when we lived in GA, so I would take what I wanted to. Now we fly, due to living near Cincinnati, and plan more due to luggage costs.

I have to dress for work, so I'm really into casual on vacation...I dress for dinner, but am much more casual during the day. I think I probably dressed to impress on my first couple of cruises, but now I'm a very light packer!

Archived