Guide books, maps, resources for Danube

bobalink

When preparing for our Mediterranean cruises, I found Rick Steves guide books and the Audio Europe App, especially the walking tours, very helpful.

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

I am just starting to research the Danube area. I watched some of the Rick Steves' videos on Hulu.

Budapest, Hungary

Prague and the Czek Republic

Vienna

Vienna and the Danube

Salzburg and surroundings

Question –

What travel guide books, maps, apps, videos, etc. have you found helpful for planning a visit to the Danube and surrounding region?

Thanks!

When preparing for our Mediterranean cruises, I found Rick Steves guide books and the Audio Europe App, especially the walking tours, very helpful.

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

I am just starting to research the Danube area. I watched some of the Rick Steves' videos on Hulu.

Budapest, Hungary

Prague and the Czek Republic

Vienna

Vienna and the Danube

Salzburg and surroundings

Question –

What travel guide books, maps, apps, videos, etc. have you found helpful for planning a visit to the Danube and surrounding region?

Thanks!

I had a Rick Steves guidebook to Central Europe.

I bought The Top 10 Budapest and The Top Ten Prague, but frankly I didn't find them that helpful.

I researched the major ports, such as Vienna on TripAdvisor, and cut and pasted different tips for Budapest, Vienna, and Prague.

One of the best books I read was Only in Budapest by Duncan J.D. Smith. It highlights less known places and gives information about them. (Wish I had had enough time to do more of them!)

I really like the DK Eyewitness Guides, and I used one on a cruise in another country. I carried it with me and read details as we walked through cathedrals. I didn't have one for this trip, but just found that there is one for Central and Eastern Europe. It has some other countries too though. Maybe you can look at it at a bookstore or go to Amazon for a preview.

I also like the Knopf Map Guides, but the maps are on the tiny side. I like the size of the books though because they are small enough for me to take along and scan while sightseeing.

I have used the laminated street maps on another cruise, and they were pretty handy.

For the other ports, e.g. in Germany, the tour guides had a wealth of information and planned the itinerary, and there were no worries about transportation.

Some cruise lines provide you with excellent pocket size guides to the river that you are traveling on. If I remember correctly, Viking had the best one and AMA's was pretty good.

I usually go to the library and check out books. If the book is really good, then I make room for it in my suitcase.

You can also get used travel guides on Amazon.

can get loads of info, photos,details,,plus up to the minute restaurant ,museum,,etc. reveiws. Then I can contact ea.place directly for even more info...like times,,prices,etc...

Thats besides the guidebooks...but I m sort of compulsive, I m told...but dont want to MISS anything. Probably will only see many of these ports ONCE,,right???:)

I used FROMMER'S VIENNA AND THE DANUBE VALLEY. It is small and easy to carry around and can even fit in a pant's pocket. It costs $16.99 and there is a 20% sale this weekend at Barnes&Noble. It covers Vienna, and the other stops such as Krems, Melk, and Durnstein, etc. I am a major Rick Steves fan, but lately I have drifted toward Frommers (maybe I'm getting older!). I find that they give practical information with a sense of humor. For example, I was interested in a musical event for the evening we are in Vienna, and they have a whole section devoted to The Performing Arts where they list all the major orchestras, opera companies and music halls with good info on how to get tickets ahead of time. You want to get a book you can carry around and flip open at a moment's notice. I will be buying the latest edition for our trip in Dec.

I had a Rick Steves guidebook to Central Europe.

I bought The Top 10 Budapest and The Top Ten Prague, but frankly I didn't find them that helpful.

I researched the major ports, such as Vienna on TripAdvisor, and cut and pasted different tips for Budapest, Vienna, and Prague.

One of the best books I read was Only in Budapest by Duncan J.D. Smith. It highlights less known places and gives information about them. (Wish I had had enough time to do more of them!)

I really like the DK Eyewitness Guides, and I used one on a cruise in another country. I carried it with me and read details as we walked through cathedrals. I didn't have one for this trip, but just found that there is one for Central and Eastern Europe. It has some other countries too though. Maybe you can look at it at a bookstore or go to Amazon for a preview.

I also like the Knopf Map Guides, but the maps are on the tiny side. I like the size of the books though because they are small enough for me to take along and scan while sightseeing.

I have used the laminated street maps on another cruise, and they were pretty handy.

For the other ports, e.g. in Germany, the tour guides had a wealth of information and planned the itinerary, and there were no worries about transportation.

Great information! I will look into your suggestions. Thanks so much.

I used FROMMER'S VIENNA AND THE DANUBE VALLEY. It is small and easy to carry around and can even fit in a pant's pocket. It costs $16.99 and there is a 20% sale this weekend at Barnes&Noble. It covers Vienna, and the other stops such as Krems, Melk, and Durnstein, etc. I am a major Rick Steves fan, but lately I have drifted toward Frommers (maybe I'm getting older!). I find that they give practical information with a sense of humor. For example, I was interested in a musical event for the evening we are in Vienna, and they have a whole section devoted to The Performing Arts where they list all the major orchestras, opera companies and music halls with good info on how to get tickets ahead of time. You want to get a book you can carry around and flip open at a moment's notice. I will be buying the latest edition for our trip in Dec.

I like Frommers, as well. I will check that one out.

Thanks for all the good information.

Have a great trip in December. Is it one that includes the Christmas Markets?

Some cruise lines provide you with excellent pocket size guides to the river that you are traveling on. If I remember correctly, Viking had the best one and AMA's was pretty good.

I usually go to the library and check out books. If the book is really good, then I make room for it in my suitcase.

Thanks for your tips. I often buy the used books from Amazon. Anything to save some money!

can get loads of info, photos,details,,plus up to the minute restaurant ,museum,,etc. reveiws. Then I can contact ea.place directly for even more info...like times,,prices,etc...

Thats besides the guidebooks...but I m sort of compulsive, I m told...but dont want to MISS anything. Probably will only see many of these ports ONCE,,right???:)

Yes, simply doing a Google search for the different ports is a good idea. It gives you a good overview of what to see and do.

Thanks!

Bobalink, yes, our trip is The Danube Holiday Markets that includes Budapest-Bratislava-Vienna-Krems-Linz (Salzburg or STEYR)-Passau, and we will spend a few days in Munich and fly home from there. I figure that experiencing the Markets in four different countries would lessen the chance of redundancy we have heard about.

Bobalink, yes, our trip is The Danube Holiday Markets that includes Budapest-Bratislava-Vienna-Krems-Linz (Salzburg or STEYR)-Passau, and we will spend a few days in Munich and fly home from there. I figure that experiencing the Markets in four different countries would lessen the chance of redundancy we have heard about.

Sounds wonderful. Have a fabulous time and I hope you write a review upon your return.

Were the pocket guides provided by the cruise line provided in advance of the cruise or when you boarded?

cruise,,it was helpful,,but I found not complete enough for me,,also can detailed port map at cruise desk ea.day.

Remember you can START with tour group,,,then leave and get back on own(but let guide know and tip accordingly ).We do this a lot,,for instance take bus or walk with group to museum,,etc...see what you want and go on at your own pace). But ship will LEAVE without you,,so be on time.I always take the ships phone # to be on safe side...;)

We were just on Uniworld's River Duchess. They had a really nice pull out River Map of "The Rhine, Maine and Danube - from Amsterdam to Budapest" and a 304 page book called European River-Cruising, The Rhine, Maine and Danube From Amsterdam to Budapest". They were from a company called projekt_ard. Their website is"

www.projekt-ard.de

Archived