Indy - school holidays - butlins?

Seriously now thinking of trying this cruise ship for next July, in the UK school holidays.

I have read the trip reports and they seem mixed.

The only experience I have of cruising is Disney, no drunks seen although there will have been some I'm sure:o

So because people can buy those all inclusive drinks packages, do you see people around the ship who are drunk and acting loud mouthed?

As I will be sailing with my DS I am slightly worried about this. Also I have read a few reviews that say the ship is full of British Chav types and it's like Butlins. Is this really true? What percentage of the ship are British? I think I may prefer a cruise with a higher American contingent onboard. I am British by the way and have spent holidays in the Med and seen all the larger louts boozing.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I need to ask the questions.

We've cruised quite a lot including on Disney and was also v worried about the Butlins/Chav comments made about the Indy.

Be assured it really wasn't like that at all - yes there are a lot of Brits on board but also quite a few Americans. We didn't see any worse behaviour on board than on any other ships. The only cruise I went on where someone was being carried up the gangplank (drunk) was in the Caribbean. We saw nothing like that on the Indy. We enjoyed it so much in April (in spite of a Hurricane Force Storm) that we have booked to go again in October.

There will always be someone who is not happy but the vast majority enjoy the cruise.

For myself I prefer to cruise with more Americans or other nationalities (I'm Welsh) but thats because I like to talk to people about their country and if its mostly Brits you don't have the same variety of conversations.

Take all of the bad reviews with a pinch of salt - I'm not saying their point of view isn't valid but that they are only 1 among 4000 passengers on any cruise.

Don't worry and have a fabulous time.

Been on Indy twice during the summer holidays now, booked for next summer as well. i can tell you that the Butlins/chav comments are absolute rubbish. The ship has the same types of entertainment as any other ship in the fleet, and while there are mostly Brits onboard, there is a very good mix of other nationalities, and I have met lots of Americans on Independence. I preferred it to P&O which is all British passengers.

There are no drunks or lager louts, and the atmosphere on the ship is very friendly. You, and especially your son will love it. Independence is a beautiful ship, the staff are fantastic and there are many who keep returning, including myself. I certainly wouldn't be going a third time if those reviews held even a shred of truth!

My advice to you: Stop reading reviews. Those very select few who love to moan are going to be the ones who will write a review about it. the other 4200 are far too busy booking the next cruise to be writing reviews about it.

Here is my review with pictures afterwards here, it may be of interest to you: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691279

We've cruised on Indy loads, always in school holidays, and it's great. On sea days there are some silly events like the belly flop competition (for example) but it's all in good fun and if that's not your thing, don't watch (or participate). I have never seen any public drunkenness on board but I can tell you that they take underage drinking very seriously. Parents are warned not to buy booze for their underage kids and if they are caught buying it for teenage consumption, the consequences are severe. When we cruised on Indy 3 years ago, a familiy was put off the ship because the parents were buying alcohol for their teenagers. In my experience the passengers are primarily British, but I've also heard American accents, French, Spanish and Russian spoken on board.

The staff are wonderful, it's a beautiful ship and you're going to have a great time!

I agree with the other people who've replied, I've been on the ship twice now in the summer school holidays with my daughter and never seen any public drunkeness or loutish behaviour. I'd say the percentage of Brits was about 75% but there were also quite a few Americans and quite a few French people from what I could tell. Don't let uninformed people worry you, the ship is wonderful and so are the people I've met on it.

Ok gotta ask: What exactly is or are "butlins/chav"? :confused:

Butlins are family camps; guests stay in hotels or chalets or apartments or cabins; fed communally; entertained communally so other than not being on water....... http://www.butlins.com..... used to take my kids to similar places when they were young..... not about to bite at the perceived insult in the OP post.

Chav is a derogatory term used to describe certain young people in the United Kingdom. Clothing is uniformly recognisable. This is a good description.

Butlins are family camps; guests stay in hotels or chalets or apartments or cabins; fed communally; entertained communally so other than not being on water....... http://www.butlins.com..... used to take my kids to similar places when they were young..... not about to bite at the perceived insult in the OP post.

Chav is a derogatory term used to describe certain young people in the United Kingdom. Clothing is uniformly recognisable. This is a good description.

You were lucky to go to Butlins, as a child I was taken to Flamborough head:D. By Butlins I meant hidi hi camp theme.

Been on Indy twice during the summer holidays now, booked for next summer as well. i can tell you that the Butlins/chav comments are absolute rubbish. The ship has the same types of entertainment as any other ship in the fleet, and while there are mostly Brits onboard, there is a very good mix of other nationalities, and I have met lots of Americans on Independence. I preferred it to P&O which is all British passengers.

There are no drunks or lager louts, and the atmosphere on the ship is very friendly. You, and especially your son will love it. Independence is a beautiful ship, the staff are fantastic and there are many who keep returning, including myself. I certainly wouldn't be going a third time if those reviews held even a shred of truth!

My advice to you: Stop reading reviews. Those very select few who love to moan are going to be the ones who will write a review about it. the other 4200 are far too busy booking the next cruise to be writing reviews about it.

Here is my review with pictures afterwards here, it may be of interest to you: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691279

Ah I had already read your trip report, an excellent one. Thanks for writing it and thanks for all the positive comments.

Archived