Muster Drill

Crusin Hogs

This is a summary of the CLIA Guidelines. As I noted, these are VOLUNTARY regulations.. All of the majors are part of CLIA. Bold is my emphasis.

" Passenger Muster Policy

Current legal requirements for conducting a muster of passengers are found in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and mandate that a muster for embarking passengers occur within 24 hours of their embarkation. Notwithstanding the legal requirement, CLIA’s member cruise lines have identified a best practice effective immediately that calls for conducting the mandatory muster for embarking passengers prior to departure from port. On occasions when guests arrive after the muster has been completed, CLIA’s policy is that they be promptly provided with individual or group safety briefings that meet the requirements for musters applicable under SOLAS. This practice exceeds existing legal requirements and has been adopted by CLIA’s membership as a formal policy to help ensure that any mandatory musters or briefings are conducted for the benefit of all newly embarked passengers at the earliest practical opportunity.

"

If you drill down into the weeds, there's a section that indicates that since the guidelines call for mandatory muster, the crew must be aware of who attended.

The newest CLIA guidelines are being phased in, the specific schedule is not published.

As I noted, these are in excess to legal requirements, but if I had to defend my company at a wrongful death trial, I would not want to me up there saying 'well, we did the minimum the law requires, but not what our own industry says we should."

In addition, these guidelines are in the processed of being adopted by the IMO, many of the new post concordia ones have been codified already.

I really cannot understand the effort some people put forward to justify skipping something that can save your life and possibly the lives of others!! It's sad that the cruise lines have to worry about enforcing this to save themselves from lawsuits.

If people really don't want to go, let them sign a waiver and eschew all claims if they get hurt or die in a mishap.

here is the latest and nowhere does it say that there is a signed agreement on muster drills

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719

Not a good thing. Fireman know how to put out fires, but they train continuously. The more you train, the closer the training is to the actual incident the more likely you are to be able to handle the incident. Do what you like, but I think you do not set a good example for others. If you have had lots of training you should know this.

I agree, I have had my share of musters. Pam said it right, when the time comes you need to to know what to do.

Archived