Spirit to Alaska May and June - Good? What Excursions do you suggest?

ehaas

We have a June 11 trip out of Seattle planned. We would love to hear from people that went this season to Alaska on the Spirit. What are the best side trips and should a person book them on the ship or wait to see what is offered at each port. We know we want to go on a Whale Watch. Hope to hear from Spirit Travelers.

We're going a week after you and I have the same questions; I wish someone would answer. I'll try a new thread and see if someone has some ideas. So far I think we're going to try some fishing and a tour in Skagway and I'm thinking about a helicopter ride in Prince Rupert. I've been checking the internet but would prefer to hear from someone with experience ! :D Good luck !

Just got home Sat. You will love the Spirit. She is a beautiful ship, staff is great and food is very good. We did not do any excursions since we had been to Alaska before. In every port there were local people with booths selling just about every excursion that the ship was selling at about half the price. If you have any questions about the ship I will be glad to answer them. Email me at bookdoctor3@netzero.com.

Vicki

We have made the trip to Alaska twice took winter coats both times and did not have them out of the suitcase. We did use sweatshirts and light jackets. We were afraid if we didn't take them we would need them. The weather was great last week. We had rain in Ketchikan, which is normal they get 13 FEET of rain a year. But rest of week was in the 70's most of the time. Weather channel said it was going to rain all week but thank goodness they were wrong.

Vicki

Just got home Sat. You will love the Spirit. She is a beautiful ship, staff is great and food is very good. We did not do any excursions since we had been to Alaska before. In every port there were local people with booths selling just about every excursion that the ship was selling at about half the price. If you have any questions about the ship I will be glad to answer them. Email me at bookdoctor3@netzero.com.

Vicki

This is just a second opinion, but I didn't really see any local tours that were "half" the price of the cruise sponsored excursions. There were some that were a few dollars cheaper, it's true.

From what I've read on these boards, and what I saw and experienced for myself last week, there are pros and cons about both sponsored tours and independent tours.

The pro for sponsored tours of course is that the cruise line takes care of everything for you. When we disembarked at a port, there were NCL people with signs for the different tours, telling us exactly where we needed to be. It was very - unstressful. Also there is the peace of knowing that on a sponsored tour, if anything happens, the ship won't leave without you.

Some of the local tours looked like just as much fun, and some were cheaper. In Ketchikan we didn't feel like taking a sponsored tour, so we just walked off the ship and into town. Found a wonderful little horse-drawn trolley company that took us on a one hour tour of the city for $25. The tour guide and the driver were loads of fun and told us all sorts of stories about Ketchikan. Was definitely worth it.

On the other hand, we tried to do one of those $5 shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and the local we happened to pick (MGT) was a total flop. They said they ran every 1/2 hour, but in the time we waited, it seemed to me they were making it at every 1.5 hours at best. More than 50 people were waiting for what turned out to be an old school bus. We asked for and got our money back, as we were under time constraints due to being scheduled for the Evening Whale Quest (through the ship).

[shrug]

I guess it's a matter of taking your chances or putting up the few extra $$$.

Linda

We also just got back from the Spirit on Saturday.

We did our one big excursion through the ship...We flew up onto the Mendenhall Glacier and took a walkabout...There was no fuss no muss....It was worth every penny...Also when we spoke to several people that also did it through an independent company it wasn't as good as what ours was...We got little extra perks like snacks and water bottles with lables saying we bottled glacier water at the source. All of our gear was all ready with our names on our bags so it was a quick getaway, no waiting around.

However, we rented a car independently in Skagway in saw more than a lot of people could see on a tour or the rail road (we got to go into Canada and chose where to go). We got to pull up and stop at our leisure when we saw a bear on the side of the road eating...The tour busses were flying by with no stopping.

I really didn't see much of a price difference (maybe like $50) for the glacier tour through independent companies.

However, we rented a car independently in Skagway in saw more than a lot of people could see on a tour or the rail road (we got to go into Canada and chose where to go). We got to pull up and stop at our leisure when we saw a bear on the side of the road eating...The tour busses were flying by with no stopping.

We saw that bear. [smile] We were out in the Yukon Territory. Our bus driver Chris pulled over and we followed and watched it for about 20 minutes.

Linda

We booked 4 excursions through NCL, and all were impressively well-run, on time, with very good driver/guides/boat captains. Even the crusty local who drove the Salmon Bake (don't bother) bus was a kick. In Skagway, we took a shuttle bus (5-8 mins), fast cat. ferry (30 mins), and another bus ride (20-25 mins) to Haines for the eagle preserve jet boat excursion. Everything ran smoothly and hassle-free. The only glitch was when we realized that none of our on-line excursion reservations made a month ago were confirmed, so we had to make them again through the ship's excursion staff.

Any new advice or comments on excursions for those just getting back. How close did the Spirit get to the glacier? Anybody do the Whale Watch in Juneau? Did you need a winter coat? Any other suggestions welcome!!! Third time cruiser.....first time to Alaska.....going with 5 first time cruisers so all help and ideas are greatly appreciated.

We took the Spirit last summer. Great trip - breathtaking. We did the Salmon Fishing on our own in Ketchikan with 2 teenage boys - they also loved it, Caught ast least 15 salmon. Great time and saved a substantial amount of money. In Juneau we got off the ship and grabbed a bus ride to Mendenhall Glacier - enjoyed that. In Skagway the boys went horseback riding - this was an excursion thru Spirit - they loved it. We went shopping - great port for shopping - I think this was my favorite. In Sitka we did the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest - only available thru the ship - really enjoyed it. Saw whales, sea otters and eagles. In total had a wonderful time. Next time I would do a whale excursion.

Can anybody help with the Salmon fishing cost booked of the ship in Ketchikan? My son thinks this sounds like fun and I was hoping to get a little more information.

Archived