Light lunch???

Nadersmom

Staying in N.O. for 1 night Precruise in Nov. My group of 6 has already decided to try Acme Oyster for dinner.

I dont know what time Acme opens, though from what I've read we'll want to get there early as the line forms quickly.

Our flight lands around 12:30 pm, so we will probably get into town from the airport around 1 or 1:30 pm. We can't check into the hotel until 3 but we can drop our bags off.

I know we wont want to eat a whole lot during the day as I'm guessing we'll go to Acme as in early evening. But we will be hungry before then. Can anyone please suggest somewhere we can go for a light lunch or even some great snacks when we get in? Something in the area of the Drury Inn on Poydras?

Thanks so much!!!

When will you be there? It makes a difference weekday/weekend/holiday. The Drury Inn is close to the touristy areas, but it's still technically in the Central Business District, so most places I know for quick lunches are not open on weekends or holidays. So my recommendations depend on when you'll be there.

When will you be there? It makes a difference weekday/weekend/holiday. The Drury Inn is close to the touristy areas, but it's still technically in the Central Business District, so most places I know for quick lunches are not open on weekends or holidays. So my recommendations depend on when you'll be there.

We will be arriving on Nov. 2nd. Its a Friday

Staying in N.O. for 1 night Precruise in Nov. My group of 6 has already decided to try Acme Oyster for dinner.

I dont know what time Acme opens, though from what I've read we'll want to get there early as the line forms quickly.

Our flight lands around 12:30 pm, so we will probably get into town from the airport around 1 or 1:30 pm. We can't check into the hotel until 3 but we can drop our bags off.

I know we wont want to eat a whole lot during the day as I'm guessing we'll go to Acme as in early evening. But we will be hungry before then. Can anyone please suggest somewhere we can go for a light lunch or even some great snacks when we get in? Something in the area of the Drury Inn on Poydras?

Thanks so much!!!

Just because they tell you "check in" is at 3:00, that doesn't mean you can't check in before 3:00. They will usually have some rooms available. If they don't, they may be able to check you in anyway, just not give you your room keys until housekeeping is done with the room. I have had this done at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville.

I would go to the hotel and see if you can check in first. Unfortunately, I've been to NO only once, so I can't give you any lunch advice.

We will be arriving on Nov. 2nd. Its a Friday

There is a Food Court at 201 St. Charles Avenue, with a fairly good selection.

and a deli/po-boy shop a bit further down at 133 St. Charles Avenue.

Many people will recommend Mother's on Poydras at Tchoupitoulas, but I don't really care for it, and don't really find the menu there light or worth a visit.

I would also suggest catching the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar and head Uptown where you can find VooDoo Barbeque (at St. Charles and Melpomene), Zea's, New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood, or LeMadeleine or the Camellia Grill all the way up St. Charles Avenue at Riverbend.

You can find all standard fast-food chains on Canal Street, or along St. Charles Avenue.

Just because they tell you "check in" is at 3:00, that doesn't mean you can't check in before 3:00. They will usually have some rooms available. If they don't, they may be able to check you in anyway, just not give you your room keys until housekeeping is done with the room. I have had this done at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville.

I would go to the hotel and see if you can check in first. Unfortunately, I've been to NO only once, so I can't give you any lunch advice.

Thanks. Actually I did call the hotel a while back to ask about early check in due to flight arrival. They said that if the room was ready, I could certainly check in early. If it wasnt ready, I could leave my luggage there and go walk around N.O. for awhile, no problem. So that's fine with me. Dont want to spend much time in the hotel room anyway:D Will drop off bags and go sightseeing.

There is a Food Court at 201 St. Charles Avenue, with a fairly good selection.

and a deli/po-boy shop a bit further down at 133 St. Charles Avenue.

Many people will recommend Mother's on Poydras at Tchoupitoulas, but I don't really care for it, and don't really find the menu there light or worth a visit.

I would also suggest catching the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar and head Uptown where you can find VooDoo Barbeque (at St. Charles and Melpomene), Zea's, New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood, or LeMadeleine or the Camellia Grill all the way up St. Charles Avenue at Riverbend.

You can find all standard fast-food chains on Canal Street, or along St. Charles Avenue.

Thanks so much Ellieanne! I am indeed looking for something lighter. Not a salad:D Something good but not quite as heavy as dinner will be. Thanks for the streetcar tip. Maybe we'll try that!! That sounds like a good idea! How far is "uptown"?

As for fast food - no way am I going to N.O. and eating at a fast food chain restaurant LOL

Thanks so much Ellieanne! I am indeed looking for something lighter. Not a salad:D Something good but not quite as heavy as dinner will be. Thanks for the streetcar tip. Maybe we'll try that!! That sounds like a good idea! How far is "uptown"?

As for fast food - no way am I going to N.O. and eating at a fast food chain restaurant LOL

Sorry. Directions in New Orleans are usually given in terms of Uptown/Downtown (up river or down river) or River/Lake (towards the Mississippi River or towards Lake Ponchartrain). I was meaning "Uptown" as the direction, not necessarily an area of town.

The geographic area known as Uptown is between 1 and 4 miles from your hotel, Riverbend is about 5 miles up St. Charles Avenue. I would say it's too far to walk. Taking the streetcar from Poydras Street to Riverbend (St. Charles Avenue & South Carrollton Avenue) will take between 30 and 45 minutes.

Archived