NoLa Embarkation process questions

nucrewser

First time cruiser here! Are they using x-ray scanners or metal detectors for passengers boarding cruises at NoLA port? I have read and heard some interesting comments on some long-term effects of those x-ray scanners possibly causing cancer. I know the bags will go through x-rays, but what about passengers? Should I just pack my luggage as if I am leaving from an airport, with all the extra security measures of what can and can't be in your luggage? Most recent cruisers from this port please and thanks for your feedback.

Just need to know because I have a knee replacement that will set off metal detectors each time, and will cause me to need extra time going through security before boarding. Anyone been on a recent cruise that can inform me of what I am facing.

My husband has knee and hip replacements.

At the airports he always is pulled and wanded.

On cruises, it depends. Sometimes he makes it through and sometimes, he sets off the detectors. If he does set off the detectors at the pier, it does not take as long to be wanded and cleared.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

First time cruiser here! Are they using x-ray scanners or metal detectors for passengers boarding cruises at NoLA port? I have read and heard some interesting comments on some long-term effects of those x-ray scanners possibly causing cancer. I know the bags will go through x-rays, but what about passengers? Should I just pack my luggage as if I am leaving from an airport, with all the extra security measures of what can and can't be in your luggage? Most recent cruisers from this port please and thanks for your feedback.

You do not need to follow the TSA "3-1-1" guidelines at at cruise port. That is, you do not have to have a separate your lotions and liquids, you are not limited to 3 ounce containers in a zip lock bag. You can have any size liquids you want and they can be in your baggage.

You will walk through a metal detector, just as you used to do in airports. The sensitivity of that detector varies...I don't believe they are as thoroughly managed as they are by the TSA at airports. You do not walk through an X-ray or back-scatter machine.

Your carry on bags will go through an airport-style x ray machine. Other than the obvious, they are looking for attempts to smuggle booze or wine onto the ship. If they see any in your carry on, you will be sent to a separate area to unpack it. If it's alcohol, they will tag it and keep it for you until the end of the cruise. It it's wine, you have the option of paying the corkage fee on the bottles and taking it on board with you.

Although there's not much information about this (for obvious reasons) I would have to assume your checked bags - the ones you leave at the pier with the porters - are sent through an x-ray system also. This is based on the fact that they will not deliver your bags if they are found to contain alcohol or wine. Same process as above with the alcohol or wine in your checked luggage.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Your carry on bags will go through an airport-style x ray machine. Other than the obvious, they are looking for attempts to smuggle booze or wine onto the ship. If they see any in your carry on, you will be sent to a separate area to unpack it. If it's alcohol, they will tag it and keep it for you until the end of the cruise. It it's wine, you have the option of paying the corkage fee on the bottles and taking it on board with you.

I'm pretty sure wine, up to 750ml per person is allowed for free, and the only time there is a corkage fee is if you want wine in a dining room. And even that can be gotten around by bringing it in a glass or cup when you walk in.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Archived