Lunch in N.O.

Nadersmom

Staying in N.O. for 1 night Precruise in Nov. My group of 6 has already decided to try Acme Oyster for dinner.

I dont know what time Acme opens, though from what I've read we'll want to get there early as the line forms quickly.

Our flight lands around 12:30 pm, so we will probably get into town from the airport around 1 or 1:30 pm. We can't check into the hotel until 3 but we can drop our bags off.

I know we wont want to eat a whole lot during the day as I'm guessing we'll go to Acme as in early evening. But we will be hungry before then. Can anyone please suggest somewhere we can go for a light lunch or even some great snacks when we get in? Something in the area of the Drury Inn on Poydras?

Thanks so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest the Gumbo Shop in the French Quarter close to Jackson Square. Of course the gumbo is wonderful but the menu is typical N.O. That's what you're looking for right! The prices are very reasonable and the patio atmosphere is great.

Mena's is only a block off of Canal and a place where the locals eat, i.e. not fancy . Food is delicious. Might be a good place for after the cruise.

Stay away from the "famous" places as their prices are super high. They serve good food but are some of the "once in a lifetime" meals.

I've only eaten raw oysters at Acme. (yuck) so can't say about their menu.

Hope you can squeeze in a street car ride to the Garden District. Catch it on Canal and do a round trip. It takes about 1 1/2 hr but you see so much of the beautiful city.

Hope you enjoy New Orleans. It's one of my favorite places.

Archived