What Did You Consider other than a Transatlantic?

UofIKCP

I have to say, this is kind of an odd way to do research. I'm not sure what your project entails, or what the specific topic of your paper is, but your questions lack focus. What exactly are you looking for? What's the paper about--Cunard's history, people's traveling preferences, how people pick a vacation? I would suggest detailing the nature of your paper, and maybe that will help people understand your questions and try to answer them in the best way possible. You might also want to make out your list of questions first, and then present them all at once, instead of doing this piecemeal, with a question here and a question there. Your question above is kind of vague: what other vacations options were considered? If you tell us what you're looking for or what it is you're trying to do, maybe these questions would make more sense. Just my suggestion. Or, you could do what someone else has already suggested and read the history of the threads. It might give you the answers you're looking for without having to ask the questions again. I don't want to discourage you from finding information, I just think it would help to know what your focus is.

Good luck with your paper, whatever it's about!

Having done a Med "cruise" and roundtrip crossing last year on QM2, we looked at other travel options this year. We took a week's trip on the American Orient Express through the US. This is a similarly priced trip, and patterned after, I am told, the Seabourn experience. It was very well done. Next year we are back to QM2 for the "Horn" Westbound.

Rick J

Sorry if I've caused any confusion. I am trying to determine what other vacation choices people who make Cunard Transatlantic crossings look at before choosing the crossing. I am trying to see if there is a pattern in the type of travel Transatlantic passengers are interested in (for instance, two people have now mentioned that they considered or actually experienced a trip on the American Orient Express).

So far, it seems that Transatlantic passengers are for the most part highly experienced, sophisticated travelers, thereby implying that they have very specific travel needs and desires. As a result, there is probably some common ground shared when people are planning their next journey and have two or more very specific choices in mind (whether they are other cruise lines or land-based trips, I have yet to find out).

I hope that clears up any confusion. I'm not necessarily looking for long answers so much as simple replies, such as American Orient Express.

So far, I have gained a lot of insight into the experiences that Cunarders enjoy and are looking for. Now, I would like to see what other experiences/journeys they are looking for. I appreciate all of the advice and stories that people have shared.

Thanks.

Anybody care to take a stab at my question? What other vacation options were you considering when planning a Cunard Transatlantic crossing? It could be the difference between an A and a B on my paperbiggrin.gif.

Thanks!

Would anyone be able to share with me what other types of vacation you were considering at the same time you were considering a Cunard Transatlantic crossing? This would be extremely helpful for my research paper (see thread "Student with Questions"). Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, I seriously considered going Westbound, but decided to stick with Eastbound.

Crossing the Atlantic on a Cunard ship is in a category all by itself for reasons of history going back centuries and nostalgia going back decades.

Well, I seriously considered going Westbound, but decided to stick with Eastbound.

Crossing the Atlantic on a Cunard ship is in a category all by itself for reasons of history going back centuries and nostalgia going back decades.

Did 'Eastbound' once - but that involves 5 23 hour days instead of 5 25 hour days....so less fun....EXCEPT the Eastbound flight to get home is a LOT less fun than the westbound one. Agree entirely with Crouton's point on Cunard crossing being in a category by itself - other 'Trans-Atlantics' are cruises with lots of sea days (a good thing in itself), but not crossings.

Archived