Ship time vs Belize time

valorbunch

Getting ready to be in Belize on May 31 and want to make sure what the time difference is between the ship and land. I believe to understand if its 9am on the ship its really 7am on land. Is that correct?

Depends on which cruise line you are on and depends on which port you leave from.

RCCL always stays on ship time, which is the time zone from whichever port you leave. In other words, we left from Miami on April 24th after daylight savings time was done. We were 1 hour ahead of Belizian time when we were there. However, if your ship left from a different port and time zone, you will be on different time.

Also, I have seen a few posts on this board indicating that their ship changed the time to reflect Belizian time (time was changed in the middle of the night before arriving at the port).

Best bet is to check with your cruise ship. RCCL posted it in the Compass, announced it over the public intercom system on a consistent basis during disembarking, and there were tons of signs as you left the boat also reminding you of the time difference. If you are trying to plan excursions before you cruise, I'd contact the cruise line, I'm sure they will help you out.

Sorry this is not a straight forward answer, but it depends on a couple of things as you can see from above.

We were on the Explorer the last week of April. In Belize the ships newspaper said there was a 1 hour time dif. but it was wrong... it was two hours. The ship stays on Miami time... and I don't think they took daylight savings time into account... which makes it 2 hours...

Granduer 1999

Victory 2001

Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

Freedom 2007

Hey Quilts, thanks for correcting me, honestly, I remember that the Compass was wrong and they kept telling us, but I thought it was the other way around, Compass said 2 hours and it was actually 1. Oh well, I did write that late last night! Of course, now that I think about it...

How are you doing since our return? First couple of days I was still in my "vacation bubble", then reality set in and now I feel like the trip was months ago! Oh well, time to start planning something else. Actually, we had such a great time at Rum Point in Grand Cayman, the beach was so incredibly beautiful, we are thinking of renting a villa there next April vacation. 2 bedroom, 2 bath right across from the beach, fully equipped kitchen, dining room, living room, cable, internet, screened porch, fresh water pool- $1500 a week!! Plus Cayman Air now has non stop flights from Boston.

Well, let's hope summer arrives soon (or a little warmer spring for that matter!).

Sorry OP, I hope I didn't confuse you. But, do check with whichever cruise line you are on, there have been quite a few posts (Carnival I think,but don't hold me to it) changed the time to local time.

Depends on which cruise line you are on and depends on which port you leave from.

RCCL always stays on ship time, which is the time zone from whichever port you leave.

Not true. We were on the Splendour of the Seas that left Tampa on April 23rd and we changed times in the middle of the night whenever we crossed a time zone. So the night before we arrived at Belize, we changed our clocks back at 2AM (as the Compass told us to do). But since Belize does not observe daylight savings time, we were still 1 hour ahead of them. It really must depend on the ship's Captain and not a fleet wide rule.

Hey Quilts, thanks for correcting me, honestly, I remember that the Compass was wrong and they kept telling us, but I thought it was the other way around, Compass said 2 hours and it was actually 1. Oh well, I did write that late last night! Of course, now that I think about it...

How are you doing since our return? First couple of days I was still in my "vacation bubble", then reality set in and now I feel like the trip was months ago! Oh well, time to start planning something else. Actually, we had such a great time at Rum Point in Grand Cayman, the beach was so incredibly beautiful, we are thinking of renting a villa there next April vacation. 2 bedroom, 2 bath right across from the beach, fully equipped kitchen, dining room, living room, cable, internet, screened porch, fresh water pool- $1500 a week!! Plus Cayman Air now has non stop flights from Boston.

Well, let's hope summer arrives soon (or a little warmer spring for that matter!).

Sorry OP, I hope I didn't confuse you. But, do check with whichever cruise line you are on, there have been quite a few posts (Carnival I think,but don't hold me to it) changed the time to local time.

Boatbunny...

I read your review of Rum Point sounds really great may do that next time.... 1500.00 sounds really good for a cottage on the beach.... We went snorkeling at Eden Rock... it was some of the best... in Belize we went to the barrier reef and that was amazing too.... Paradise beach was our destination in Coz. it lived up to it's name and we had a fun day at Tapas too.. I don't know about you but I am sick of this weather... that tan I tried hard to cultivate has all but gone..... we have a place at the beach in Maine and we haven't been there yet!!!!

We are organizing our group to book the Freedom of the Seas for April 2007... always have to get one in the pipeline..... we had an an amazing vacation and everyone in our group agreed it was so good....

I will lokk into the Rum point thing do they have a website for rentals...

Marie

Not true. We were on the Splendour of the Seas that left Tampa on April 23rd and we changed times in the middle of the night whenever we crossed a time zone. So the night before we arrived at Belize, we changed our clocks back at 2AM (as the Compass told us to do). But since Belize does not observe daylight savings time, we were still 1 hour ahead of them. It really must depend on the ship's Captain and not a fleet wide rule.

Very unusual, this was our third RCCL cruise and we have never changed clocks for time zone changes (we've done 2 different Western Carib out of Miami, and a deep Southern out of San Juan, all had time differences).

Carnival seems to be the one that does the clock changes on a somewhat consistant basis based on what I've read on the boards.

Boatbunny...

I read your review of Rum Point sounds really great may do that next time.... 1500.00 sounds really good for a cottage on the beach.... We went snorkeling at Eden Rock... it was some of the best... in Belize we went to the barrier reef and that was amazing too.... Paradise beach was our destination in Coz. it lived up to it's name and we had a fun day at Tapas too.. I don't know about you but I am sick of this weather... that tan I tried hard to cultivate has all but gone..... we have a place at the beach in Maine and we haven't been there yet!!!!

We are organizing our group to book the Freedom of the Seas for April 2007... always have to get one in the pipeline..... we had an an amazing vacation and everyone in our group agreed it was so good....

I will lokk into the Rum point thing do they have a website for rentals...

Marie

Hi Marie,

Weather, what weather issues? Oh, do you mean this constant rain and cold temps that I still have to keep the heat on? LOL. Honestly, haven't we had enough given all the snow we got? Let's just hope that all the precip is hitting us now and we'll have a REAL summer this year! Of course, my die hard skiing husband has decided that he hasn't had his fill of skiing this year (partly because I "dragged" him on that cruise and he missed the last 2 weeks of "unbelievable and historic" spring skiing, so he is flying off to Snowbird in Utah this weekend! I'm heading to the Cape with the girls-let's dance to the Sun God again, it worked for the cruise!!!!! Tan lines? All I have left is around the areas I burned!

Yeah, Rum Point was amazing, probably the best beach I've ever been on. We are definitely considering renting a place next April. We tend to alternate year to year between a land vacation and a cruise. I figure Freedom is on our agenda next, but I was going to wait until the excitement died down before we book.

Here are a few websites I've found about Rum Point rentals. There are lots of rentals on GC in other locations that aren't quite as remote and still reasonably priced (especially around Seven Mile Beach). We love to explore, so we will stay at Rum Point and then travel around the rest of the island. I am actually very excited!

http://vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/region/caribbean/cayman-islands

http://www.caymanvacation.com/

http://cayman-islands.caribbeanway.com/home.asp?ggkey=cayman+vacation+rentals

You'll see a lot of the same homes on these websites, homeowners must sign up with numerous rental agencies. The actual condo we looked at after meeting the owner was:

http://admin.vrbo.com/36736

It really was as nice as the pictures look, and the owner had been staying there a week (in other words, single guy does not usually equal good housekeeping! LOL).

What is the Freedom itinerary for next April? Not sure when we are on vacation next year, I have to call the school. Sometimes Brentwood is the same as most of the state, sometimes we are a week later.

Keep in touch, feel free to email my personal email if you'd like to:

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Michelle

Getting ready to be in Belize on May 31 and want to make sure what the time difference is between the ship and land. I believe to understand if its 9am on the ship its really 7am on land. Is that correct?

Based on the latest Valor reviews, it sounds like they now turn the ship clock back one hour, so in that case, 9am ship time would be 8am Belize time.

Archived